“Decent property but lousy customer service”
Review of Glenstone Lodge

Glenstone Lodge
Ranked #35 of 77 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Reviewed 14 December 2012

My wife and I used a Groupon to stay here for an off season excursion. Being off season, you don't expect everything to be a full speed and it's the logical time for the property to do maintenance . . . . HOWEVER. Now, let me say that they weren't close to being full but we were put on the top floor at the end of the hall. Wifi? Forget it. When I asked, they knew it, and were going to upgrade the system in a few weeks. Well, why put us in wireless hell?

Next morning, my wife turned on the faucet--no hot water. "Have you let it run?" I was asked. "Long enough to refloat the Titanic!" I responded. Well, they were working on it the day before and thought they had it fixed. Okay, they offered to move us to take a shower and gave us complementary breakfast. We figured we would walk around and see what was there and take a shower later. They assured us that the "cut over" would happen that afternoon and everything would be back to happy normal. After a day of seeing what there was to see (think Myrtle Beach w/o ocean or golf courses), we came back after dinner to discover that not only was their no hot water, THERE WAS NO WATER AT ALL! A call to the desk and a very argumentative desk clerk (only bad people encounter among several) informed us that they had encountered problems with the "cut over" and it would be done shortly. Shortly, was around 10:00 p.m. and the banging on the pipes in the building went long after that.

If you are going to do major maintenance on your property, should you not tell guests when they check in? Would it hurt to keep them apprised of any problems that are encountered? It wasn't like the place was overflowing with guests. Phone calls and messages would have sufficed. Guests shouldn't have to discover things like no water!

I will say the desk personnel (save one) we kind and attempted to be helpful, but the problem existed with the management decisions that were made to the detriment of the quality of the stay. Needless-to-say, we won't go back.

2  Thank NCGeezer
GlenstoneGM, General Manager at Glenstone Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2013

Thank you for your review. We sincerely apologize for the issues you mentioned. We had plumbers working on the water main and due to unforeseen circumstances, we did have unexpected water outages.
The good news is that the water is now working as it should. We have new front desk personnel. We apologize again and regret that we inconvenienced you during your stay.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,031)

Reviewed 13 December 2012

was there just one night,saw no one using indoor pool, just didn't look clean, at 4:45 the next morning received a wake-up that was not asked for, also could not shower that morning because there was no hot water. Was being checked into. Not a bad distance to downtown, but will try something different on our next trip.

Reviewed 10 December 2012

I stayed at Glenstone Lodge this past weekend, 12-07-12 through 12-09-12. I used a groupon and I'm fairly sure they gave me a cruddier room because of it. I stayed in room 317 and the floors are very stained. I didn't really care too much about it, but I did end up stepping in something sticky...I wore my boyfriends house shoes after that. The beds were comfy enough and the room was fairly quiet except for the sound of the elevator that kind of sounded like a vacuum being ran in the hallway. The view wasn't much to write home about...it was a roof and the dome of the pool, but once again I figured that's what I got because I used a groupon. Really is was a very basic, okay enough hotel. My biggest problem and the reason I wouldn't go back is because the front desk staff wasn't very friendly. I asked them about the trolley and how much it was and the times it ran and I asked about the breakfast in the morning and both times I felt like I was really putting them out by having to answer my simple questions. No smiles or anything. Just sour faces. My boyfriend called down and asked a fella if he could recommend a place that would deliver food to us and he just told him that all the pizza places delivered. He didn't offer a certain place or a phone number for a restaurant or anything. Not very helpful at all. I then called down Saturday night to ask about a late check out for Sunday and I was told I would have to call back Sunday morning and ask that person about it. I have never had that kind of problem at any other hotel before...the reason I ask for a late check out is so I can sleep in. If I have to wake up in the morning to call and ask for the late check out, that kind of defeats the purpose. However, the fella that checked me out on Sunday morning was super friendly. He should be in charge of training the rest of the staff on how to treat guests! I think it would also be very helpful to have some information in the rooms...like info on the trolley and pizza places to order from and information on your breakfast buffet. So, definitely not the very worst place I've ever stayed at, but there are a hundred other places to stay at in Gatlinburg and I think I would rather try a new place with smiling faces than stay here again.

2  Thank newsbug
Reviewed 5 December 2012

Well.... where do I start ? My daughter and I were very much looking forward to are stay with you, nice hotel, great pool. BUT! Never got to use it! could sleep all night, had to cancel are next night stay, just to be able to get some sleep. There was kids running the hallways all night long, the pool was completely inaccessible, do to all the kids ( some adult only time would have been nice) something even the parents of the kids might have enjoyed. But to let them totally run the entire hotel all day and night was needless to say we were very disappointed. I have never stayed in a hotel that was so unconcerned for all their OTHER guest. I know of two other couples that were leaving the hotel that same morning for other better run hotels in the area. As a business manager my self I no this is very bad for business. One group booking should never should never be more important than the long term affects it has on the hotel. This was our Thanksgiving Holiday, it was completely ruined! If it wasn't for Expedia finding us another hotel last minute and upgrading us to get us in somewhere it would have even worse. Its really to bad, it could have been a nice venue. We were also told, by the front desk "it is always like this when the kids are out of school" What?????

Wish things had been better,
Debra Van Heel

Room Tip: Don't stay when kids are out of school
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Debra V

Thank you for taking time to review Glenstone Lodge. We sincerely regret that you were inconvenienced by noise from other guests. We did have a security guard on property who responded to noise complaints from guests. We apologize that we did not meet your expectations during your stay.

Reviewed 29 November 2012

We were very pleased with our visit to the Glenstone Lodge, which we discovered through Groupon, and only wish we could have stayed more than three nights - perhaps next time !
The Lodge staff was extremely accommodating, helpful and friendly, as you would expect. Our third floor balcony room was large, clean and comfortable, and included a king sized bed, sofa, desk, free internet service, refrigerator, coffee maker, and a large flat screen TV.
Although we didn't take advantage of it on this trip, the heated indoor pool area looked very inviting, and a number of guests were obviously having a great time.
As an unexpected bonus, the breakfast buffet was nothing short of fantastic ! The chef, who has been there for over 20 years, will prepare an omelet to order, with anything you want on it, or eggs, any way you want them, or a Belgium waffle with real maple syrup, plus they have just about anything else you can think of, including crispy bacon, sausage links and patties, fruit, cereals, grits, and gravy and biscuits. The price even includes great coffee, juice, or whatever you want to drink.
We had an excellent stay at the Glenstone Lodge, and I really don't believe you could find a better breakfast value in Gatlinburg.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rob2754

Thank you so very much for your review of Glenstone Lodge. We are glad that you enjoyed our your room and our breakfast buffet. We have passed your comments along to our staff. We hope that you will contact us the next time you are planning a visit to Gatlinburg and the Great Smoky Mountains.

Reviewed 26 November 2012

You can't beat the location of the Glenstone Lodge. It's a quick walk to the main downtown attractions and restaurants. The rooms were very clean and it looks like they are trying to make some improvements with the new TVs! Wifi is spotty, but at least it's free and functioning in common areas. Personally, I'd rather spend less on the room rate and stay in a clean, friendly hotel and spend more money enjoying all of the fun in Gatlinburg!

Room Tip: Stay in a balcony room, great views of the mountains and city.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank MrsFDF
GlenstoneGM, General Manager at Glenstone Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2012

Thank you so much for taking time to review the Glenstone Lodge. We appreciate your comments about our friendly staff, good location, and our clean rooms. We have shared your comments with our staff. We are currently upgrading our WIFI signal and it will be available throughout the hotel very soon. We hope that you had an enjoyable stay in Gatlinburg and that you will call us again when planning your next visit to Gatlinburg and the Great Smoky Mountains.

Reviewed 26 November 2012

Well how should I start this. Well we a group of over 100 for a football Tourney were just simply sucked in. We arrive some had a room some were told their room was giving away a few got a room with a half shower one bed 2 kids nice. We had no ice machines 2 worked on 5 floors,We were told internet service when rooms were booked months ahead..Well that was a load of the Taco Bell aftermath. Lets see no fridge, Hot tub was out for the final 3 days of a four night stay.''Great maintenance'' Ya'll have. Of The 6 staff members I talked to 5 should be fired 1 was decent he said he been there bit over a week. And I ask why my window doesn't open the rude lady at the desk replied ''Your window doesn't open'' I said nice fire hazard since I been there So in all avoid the over priced, rude, false advertising fire trap of a hotel.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business