“Overall very satisfied”
Review of Old Creek Lodge

Old Creek Lodge
Ranked #5 of 77 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Reviewed 4 June 2014

I decided to stay here after I discovered that this hotel is actually on the creek. (I had booked with the Hilton, then saw that it is actually across the street from the creek.) Above all, I wanted a balcony facing the creek and every room gets that here. Other amenities include a fridge, microwave, fireplace and very nice tiled shower with great water pressure. The room was large and pretty clean ( I noticed some carpet stains) but we were very satisfied. My only complaint is that this hotel can be LOUD. We could hear people talking and the plumbing through the walls, and since the doors face the street, you can hear parking lot noise as well. Thankfully we travel with a fan to block out noise so it didn't affect our sleep. Speaking of sleep, the beds are not the most comfortable- a little on the firm side- but once again, I was exhausted and slept just fine. The curtains in our room were excellent, blocking out all light. I had no idea it was sunny out until I opened them in the morning! The pool is small, but I still enjoyed swimming and reading by it. The staff here was very kind. I especially liked Shannon, who checked me in and out. I also appreciated being upgraded to an executive room for no additional charge while some rooms were being painted. Great location, within walking distance to the main drag. Good value for the money. We would stay here again!

Room Tip: The 2nd floor rooms are closest to the creek.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Greengirl87

Reviewed 4 June 2014

This was our second stay here and definitely will continue to come back! The employees are fantastic! The balcony was freshly painted and looked great! The room was spotless. Complimentary breakfast was just what we needed before heading out for the day. Great job!

• Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank dan22swoosh
Reviewed 28 May 2014

My husband and I had stayed here several years ago when it was a Fairfield Inn, and loved it then. We found it again for this trip, and were not disappointed. All rooms have a private balcony overlooking a creek. The rooms are large and comfortable, each with a gas fireplace. It is within walking distance of many restaurants and attractions.

Room Tip: I would suggest requesting a room on the south side if you plan to use the balcony in the afternoon...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank suzminaz
Reviewed 25 May 2014

This has been our hotel of choice in Gatlinburg for years. The rooms are nicely furnished. We really enjoy the balcony overlooking the little Pigeon river. The rooms are always clean , appealing rustic-ly furnished, walk in slate tiled showers , soulful soothing river balconies, stone fireplace to take away the spring chill , fluffy towels, big Jacuzzi the list goes on and on!!!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Irresistible G
Reviewed 20 May 2014

We stayed here May 15-19 2014 with our 1 1/2 year old son. All of the staff was really nice. They always greeted us with a smile and a hello. The only problem I had with the staff was the one morning I went to ask about something and the two women were standing outside the building on this porch over the river and were talking very loud about their personal lives and cursing. That should not go on in front of guests. The housekeeping forgot to give us a roll of toilet paper (but I went to the front desk and told Gail and she was happy to give me a roll) and left a bottle of cleaning solution in the room on our last night we were there. I can over look that because Lord knows she has a lot of rooms to clean and its understandable to forget.
Our room was 307. It was nice, roomy and clean which is great when you have a VERY active toddler. There was a stain on the carpet but nothing to concern ourselves and give a bad rating for. Nothing is going to be immaculate certainly not a Hotel room where hundreds of people stay. Our room had a Jacuzzi tub which was really nice to crawl into after all day of walking around and sight seeing. We also had a fireplace which came in handy on those chilly nights. What I thought was cool is a knob on the wall that you turned to however long you wanted the fireplace to stay lit and it lit right up. Our room was located right next to the elevator which was okay because we could just go right out and get on it. The bad thing was we could hear people getting on and off. Another concern was the walls are kinda thin and we could hear people in the next room which seemed to be on their honeymoon if you catch my drift. The door to our hotel room was missing pieces of weather stripping cause you could see a little daylight through it. But alas I'm being very picky. Our room was right over the top of a manmade water fall going into the river which was cool. But we also had to look at the back of a bar which luckily was deadsville. We were up in the trees also which blocked some of the view.
The bathroom was small. They had awesome tile work on the shower walls and floor. And the shower had a sitting bench in it which I liked. You could sit in there and relax in the hot water and steam or have a great place to put your let to shave. The toilet was right there and there was hardly any room to stand in it. The sink and counter was outside the bathroom door. Which is fine if you have someone wanting to brush their teeth while your in the bathroom. The water pressure was pretty decent. The beds were not the best in the world. I mean if your laying in it or sleeping on them they were okay but the next morning you had a killer back ache. Every morning we got up with problems in our backs. It was like someone knocked us around with baseball bats in our sleep. I do like that they had a lot of pillows. I can't stand it when a hotel refuses to let you have a lot of pillows.
The continental breakfast was not anything to brag about. Although being served from 7 am to 10 am was pretty cool. But if your not much of a breakfast person like we are you won't have a problem with it. They had of course coffee, hot tea, hot chocolate, orange and apple juice, oatmeal pkts, instant grit pkts, doughnuts, bread for toast, bagels, half raw canned biscuits, runny sausage gravy, three kinds of cereal, apples, bananas, fruit cocktail, and make your own waffles. The two major problems I had was there was hardly any space at all to eat breakfast and no high chair for my toddler to sit in while we ate. Other than that I guess for a free breakfast you can't complain much although I have had better continental breakfasts.
There is also coffee, hot chocolate, and hot tea availiable until 10 pm. And fresh baked cookies every afternoon. Which I thought was cool.
The pool is across the parking lot next to the hotel. It was very small and not too deep. But I'm sure it would be great for kids that you needed to entertain or If you wanted to cool off on a hot day.
Another awesome thing I loved was the rocking chair sitting area next to the river. You could sit and enjoy yourself and a cup of coffee next to the river. Watching the wildlife. They also had a cornhole game you could play. And one picnic table if you wanted to sit out with a picnic. Our son loved the rocking chair sitting area because being the boy he is he could throw rocks in the river.
The property location was great if you like to be off the main drag and kinda in a peaceful river setting. If you like to be in the middle of action or like to people watch off your balcony I wouldn't recommend this hotel. It is on the farther end of River road. Right near Ober Gatlinburg. As a matter of fact you can sit on your balcony and watch the Ober Gatlinburg Tram come and go.
The last night we were there they blocked off half of the parking lot and you couldn't park there. They gave us no warning that they were going to do it. We just came in from a day out and there was no parking. And no overflow parking you could use. The next morning we found out why. They were resealing the parking lot. It was loud and smelly. They even blocked it off so you couldn't walk. And you couldn't use the elevator. So we had to carry all our luggage multiple trips down the stairs.
To sum it all up...its probably one of the cleanest/newer hotels in Gatlinburg. It's near a peaceful river. The staff is great. There are problems but what place doesn't have some problems. The rooms are super. Clean and roomy. I would probably go back and stay at this property.

Room Tip: From 00 - 08 you have a view of a bar and trees with a little bit of the river.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Sugar-n-Spice1978
Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

We have been coming to the Smoky mountains at least twice a year for past 10 years. We had concluded that staying in Gatlinburg hotels were part of the rugged experience. Never totally satisfied with the different lodgings but always a "necessary evil" in our vacation. But finally a hotel "worthy" of fulfilling their claims . The rooms were clean , appealing rustic-ly furnished, walk in slate tiled showers , soulful soothing river balconies, stone fireplace to take away the spring chill , fluffy towels, list goes on and on ...kudos !!! Our "come- back- to Gatlinburg " search has been fulfilled .

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ginahawks
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Stayed in April for five nights. This has been our hotel of choice in Gatlinburg for years. The rooms are nicely furnished. We really enjoy the balcony overlooking the little Pigeon river. The continental breakfast is basic but nonetheless has enough variety to satisfy all my family. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. We look forward to our next visit.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family