“Parking Garage a plus”

Hampton Inn Gatlinburg
Ranked #9 of 78 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Reviewed 17 August 2012 via mobile

We were traveling on a motorcycle and at check in the man at the desk said we might want to park in the garage. Which we did. Rooms were clean, the bed very comfortable. Walking distance to everything. Only draw back on our stay the ice machine was not working on the 4th floor had to go to 2nd floor.

• Stayed: August 2012

Reviewed 16 August 2012

we were there with three rooms two were side by side one was not which was no issue. If you needed anything you could ask and were given the answer but I felt there was a lack of smiling and being friendly to the guest.

Room Tip: does not matter here small hotel and close to everything there
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
HamptonInnGatlinburg, General Manager at Hampton Inn Gatlinburg, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2012

Thank your for sharing your thoughts concerning your stay with us. We appreciate our guests' comments and suggestions, and take them seriously.

I apologize that we were lacking in providing a friendly, welcoming feeling when you asked for service from the front desk. This is certainly not our goal. I will pass along your comments to our front desk staff and use them as a training tool to better improve our service.

We hope that you will consider staying with us again when you return to Gatlinburg.

Christie Jordan

Reviewed 15 August 2012

there were little things about the remodel not yet done like some of the tile in the bathroom is missing the grout. Breakfast staff was lovely but the gal who checked us in was not very pleasant, I can look past that, we all have bad days. The management, however, leaves a lot to be desired. Upon returning home I found one of my three prescription bottles was empty. The other two had the exact same number of pills but the third nothing and all were filled just before leaving for the trip. I called the hotel immediately to notify them. The manager on duty said it would be referred to the general manager and head of housekeeping. Four days later I have heard nothing back. I didn't expect or want the medicine back but a phone call asking for details or even an apology would have been nice. The hotel is nice but beware keep your medicine in your purse or car.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank LuvMyTwoBoys

Thank you for writing a review about your stay with us. We value our guests' comments and suggestions, and take them seriously. I did send a separate message to you concerning your missing medication, but still wanted to respond to your review.

Please know that we take precautions to ensure that the hotel and our guests are protected from theft incidents. All of our staff must submit to drug testing and a background check before being hired. However, this does not mean that incidents never happen.

We have launched an investigation into the missing medication. This involves reading the door lock to determine who entered your room and at what times, interviewing the housekeeper that cleaned your room, and speaking with other staff members concerning the issue.

Providing excellent guest service is a priority for us, and I am sorry that we did not provide that for you. There is never an excuse for lack of communication, or for not being friendly to our guests, not only at check-in, but during every part of their stay.

Christie Jordan

Reviewed 12 August 2012

It's ironic that this stay at the Gatlinburg Hampton was made possible through a free-night certificate because a previous stay at a Hampton elsewhere was far less than satisfactory. (Yes, they stand by their advertised policy.) Needless to say, we won't be getting another such certificate after this stay, as it was very nice.

Our room was a first-floor creekside double-queen with balcony, which we used quite a bit. It was raining much of our one-day stay, but we were sheltered enough by overhangs and trees so that it wasn't an issue. The sound of LeConte Creek rushing by was very relaxing.

The room was spotless, as it normally is at Hampton. Beds were very comfy. The room was little smaller than Hamptons normally are, necessitated (I suspect) by the smaller confines of the property - not much flat space in Gatlinburg, after all. There is a small pool and normal-size hot tub. Flat-screen TV's with lots of channels, microwave, and mini-fridge are included. The bathroom is a little smallish, but otherwise very nice. In other words, it's your typical Hampton room. Our particular room opened up right to a parking space, which was very convenient, but of course this is the exception to the rule there. The property includes a parking deck. Guest parking is free.

The breakfast was also typical Hampton fare. This particular morning featured scrambles eggs, smoked sausage and French toast sticks, plus the ubiquitous make-your-own waffles, cereal, bagels and breads (with a conveyor-style toaster) and the other usual amenities. Everything was restocked often, as it had to be, and the area was kept very clean throughout.

The staff was friendly and helpful.

Minor quibbles: The water in the shower was very hard to turn on - it took a good hard yank to get the crank to turn. The Internet was also slow by Hampton standards, and weak in our room. Hey, we still had to do a little work!

The location is superb. Right on the Parkway next to the Ober Gatlinburg tram station, about 120 yards from the park entrance. Plenty of good dining nearby, including Cherokee Grill, Calhoun's and several others. The Ripley's Aquarium is about two blocks away, with all the other attractions in between. Easy walking distance.

All in all, a terrific stay. Wish I was still there.

Room Tip: The creekside rooms cost a little more, but they are worth it.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 August 2012

We found the staff to be extremely friendly and helpful. They were very knowledgeable as to the area and had a lot of good suggestions as far as places to eat and see. The rooms were clean and comfortable. Breakfast was a nice bonus! Such a pleasant experience!

Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Angel C
Reviewed 5 August 2012

I I have stayed at this property over the past 20 years on numerous trips to the Smokey Mountains. What I like about this hotel is it is VERY close to the Smokey Mountains, without being in the middle of Gatlinburg.

I personally find Gatlinburg repulsive. How such a tacky town can be located outside of "God's Country" is beyond me. What I like about the Hampton Inn is you can drive into the park in literally 3 minutes, request a creek side room (these rooms have balconies so you can hear the creek at night if you leave your door open!) and have dinner across the street at the Park Grill and not have to deal with the Gatlinburg "energy".

The hotel has been renovated, so all rooms now have a fridge and microwave, the new "bedding" one finds at newer Hampton Inn properties and enough room in the bathroom for two people to share the space comfortably and store personally toilet articles. The beds are comfortable and the hotel is very quiet. We really didn't hear our neighbors, and we slept in almost every morning. (What are vacations for?!?!?)

The hotel is non-smoking, however guests are allowed to smoke on the balconies. I would personally like to see this policy changed, as the smoke DOES travel and we were not always able to leave our door open (or sit on the balcony) when someone nearby was smoking. The nice thing about the balconies, however, is they are private. You have a wall separating you from your neighbors. It's just too bad this wall cannot keep the smoke out!

My boyfriend loves the breakfasts at this hotel! He even packs up a few extra items (i.e. hard boiled eggs, fruit) to take with on the trails during the day. I am a vegetarian, so I do not take part in the breakfasts at Hampton Inns.

The only reason I did not give this hotel 5 stars is the Front Desk Staff was not very welcoming. When I walked in the door, the man behind the desk was on the phone. He didn't even look up and acknowledge me. And when he checked me in, he didn't seem all that interested in being there.

There is a nice pool and hot tub, but they are frequented by children. My boyfriend and I thought it would be nice if they had evening hours restricted on the hot tub to just adults.

All in all, I will continue returning to this hotel. The price is reasonable (when compared to other hotels in/around the area) and it is again, away from the riff/raff of the Gatlinburg area.

For a consistently good meal and GREAT Salad Bar: Do try the Park Grill. :-)

Room Tip: Ask for a creekside room.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank LoisSedona
Reviewed 30 July 2012

My sister and I were in Gatlinburg this weekend to celebrate my birthday. The Hampton was great. The room was absolutely spotless. The beds were so comfortable, we slept late every day! Everyone there was very accomodating and friendly. As soon as we were in our room the desk called to make sure everything was ok and for us to be sure and let them know if we needed anything. The full breakfast is hot and tasty. The view from the creek side room is so relaxing and peaceful, could have sat on the balcony for hours. I was walkling outside and saw into one of the rooms they were cleaning and they had the mattresss standing up against the wall and cleaning under it. How greast is that! really cleaning the room, top to bottom. This will definitely be our place to stay when in Gatlinburg.

Room Tip: Get a creek side room if you can
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family