“Hated the Stay”

Sidney James Mountain Lodge
Ranked #53 of 78 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Reviewed 26 November 2007

This is the worst hotel I have ever stayed at.I asked for a non smoking room and could not get one. i stayed here specifically for the fireplaces.ours did not work all night. the toilet stopped up the first time we used it and flooded the floor. We asked for help and we handed a plunger to do the work ourlseves. We refused to do it. Teh we had to listen to the night manager give us grief the whole time he had to fix it. ( All about it not being his job. There was dirty water all over the floor. We were told that there were towels in the front lobby that we could get to clean up the mess and that they did not have time to bring any towels to us.( We should never had had to clean it up in the first place.) I was under the mistaken impression that we were the quest of the hotel not the hired staff. When I talked with the day manager he informed me that if he stayed at a hotel and the toilet stopped up he would fix it himself. I trully have a hard time believing it. He was not the least bit sympathetic to our problems and offered not compensation to us. I can promise you I will never stay at this hotel again.

Stayed: November 2007
4  Thank bewitchinggypsy1

Reviewed 17 October 2007

Family booked room by phone after seeing it on the internet (we were fooled by the pictures). Arrived only to find a run-down old hotel that was about as nasty could be. Spider webs in every corner, mold in AC unit, blood stain on pillow case. They were charging $85 per night for this room! This place was more like some $19.95 per night "no-tell motel." I would not recommend it to anyone. I cannot imagine anyone looking at the room I saw and then writing a favorable review. The staff by the way are real nice until you ask for your money back. We refused to stay at this place and left ($85 poorer than when we arrived).

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled with family
3  Thank AverageVacationer
Reviewed 17 October 2007

Hotels.com gave this place two stars, but it is deserving of more. The staff was very helpful, and the on site restaurant, though a pool side cafe, cooks up a great T-bone steak! Who knew? The Sidney James is a very pleasant surprise.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple
5  Thank eweber12
Reviewed 17 October 2007

Our stay at Sidney James Mountain Lodge was a very bad experience and this was our 34th Anniversary trip.
1. First of all upon arrival all rooms had been given away except the room we were given, they said it was the last room available. The Internet when i reserved the room in August 2007 said a creek view, fireplace, and Jacuzzi, we got a praking lot view.
2. I had asked for a non smoking room and the smell of cigarette smoke was very strong at the entrance of our room. A work room was next door, the workers must be using this room as a smoke room. Ash trays were sitting around in our room.
3. The carpet was nasty, spots all over it, we left our shoes on the whole time we were in the room.
4. The curtains did not cover the window entirely and allowed the street lights to glare in our face at night.
5. The exhaust fam in the bathroom did not work.
6. The air conditioning could not keep up, the room got very warm in the night.
7. The bed mattress was old, very hard and uncomfortable. My husband and myself got up every morning with a backache.
8. The water in the shower would scald you one minute and then freeze you the next.
9. The towels were very rough.
10. Only one pack of coffee with one pack of creamer was in the room for each day.
Upon arrival I called the front desk and put in a work order for the exhaust fam to be fixed in the bathroom and a curtain that would cover the window better. No one fixed anything during our stay. I also asked if anything could be done about the uncomfortable mattress and thry said no.
My husband and I were very disappointed with this place, our reservations were made on 8/29/07, they should not have given away their best rooms prior to our arrival with this early reservation and the amount of money we paid. We will never stay in this place again. They do not do any upkeep on the lodge at all. We have lots of friends and family that have been staying at Sidney James Mountain Lodge as well, I don't think they will be staying there anymore as well.

B. Bryant, RN.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Discouraged
Reviewed 25 September 2007

Complete Disaster !!! The room was soo nasty.. Here's just a few hair in the tub, rat turds under sink, balcony doors would not lock... The WORST hotel I have ever been too.. Yes its a good price.. But you are still paying.. And Im sorry Im not paying for something that nasty.. I dont need the top of the line, but seriously Just average is all Im asking for.. Please dont waste your time...

• Stayed: September 2007
3  Thank shoti22
Reviewed 11 September 2007

Dirty rooms, loud, stinky. It is cheap though.

Stayed: August 2007
2  Thank MrSocial
Reviewed 11 September 2007

Well I booked my hotel on the phone directly to the hotel and i set it up for 3 nights for $132.75, which I thought that price was just awesome... I called on a sunday to double check my reservations and the lady said yes hun I see you in my data base you will be staying 3 nights and checking out on sunday. I said yes that is correct and went on with my day.. well when My family and I got down there, they guy said $119.87 please and I said wow thats cheap and he said oh I gave you a 10 percent discount for arriving late. So I thought that was extremly nice but then I seen he only had thursday and friday wrote down, I said uh wait a second you didnt right sunday down and he said yeah I know you only got it for 2 nights I said no I dont, I reserved this til sunday morning.. He said give me a minute which was more like 20 minutes and said to add the other night stay on it will be 210.00 all the gether, and I just wasnt having that and I said no thanks thats not what I booked, so he said wait let me see what I can do for you.. He comes back and said ok how about 189.00 for 3 nights.. And still I said no.. I told him I will stay for the 2 days they wrote down and that is it... For my inconvience he switched my rooms from a courtside 2 double beds to a creekside balcony view 2 double beds.. That was nice and all but the room I requested had a microwave and the room they switched me to did not, thereforth all the microwave food I had purchased went in the trash... The rooms are really outdated, The pool was nice though.. It says they have a sauna but everytime you go to get in it, it is closed.. The cafe was very high priced....Food looked good though....The balcony view was pretty and very peaceful at night time...I did call back to the office while I was there and talked to another person and they told me I could have the last night for 57 not including tax but at that point I was so mad for the unprofessional mistake they made I didnt want to stay another night. Im not saying I wont ever stay again at this lodge I am just saying confirm confirm confirm and make sure they hear you when you say what days and how many days you will be staying..... And hopefully they update here in the near future.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled with family