“Dump!”

Ranked #62 of 78 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Knoxville,TN
“Dump!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2007

My daughters and I spent 2 nights- Nov 30 and Dec 1 2007 for a nice weekend together. We wanted the in room jacuzzi and that came with a fireplace also which was nice. We expected it to be creekside but it over looked a parking lot.When we walked in there was a sofa bed , the jacuzzi , bathroom , a small frig and a small sink ,microwave and coffeepot. It had a king bed in an upstairs loft with adjoining bathroom. Nothing looked inviting or clean smelling.One small package of coffee with no cream or sugar. Two of us took the bed and two of us used the sofa bed. They were both bad.The sofa bed mattress was very thin and the bars across it made it extremely uncomfortable. For it to be warm downstairs made it very hot upstairs.The pillows were flat. The sheets and blankets rough. For the 2 nights it was about $270 and for that I expected decent at least. Will never stay here again.

• Liked — Nothing.
  • Disliked — The room comfort
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled with family
3 Thank mtneden

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
Cincinnati
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2007

My wife and I booked a room with this hotel on Thanksgiving weekend. The first room we were given had some kind of water leak. The carpet was sopping wet and the room smelled very musty. The drywall on the ceiling in the bathroom was collapsed in one corner, and a couple of the lights did not work. After complaining to the office we were moved two doors down where the room also had problems. The heater would only run full blast so we were forced to turn it on and off all night to keep from burning up. There were also a few lamps in this room that did not work either. The following day when we complained to the manager, he told us that "it's an old hotel and we are doing the best we can do". He was extremely rude and refused to refund our money. I hope they do not always treat their customers this way, but regardless I would deffinately not recommend staying there.

• Disliked — management/employees
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled as a couple
3 Thank wesmantooth077
bewitchinggypsy1
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2007

This is the worst hotel I have ever stayed at.I asked for a non smoking room and could not get one. i stayed here specifically for the fireplaces.ours did not work all night. the toilet stopped up the first time we used it and flooded the floor. We asked for help and we handed a plunger to do the work ourlseves. We refused to do it. Teh we had to listen to the night manager give us grief the whole time he had to fix it. ( All about it not being his job. There was dirty water all over the floor. We were told that there were towels in the front lobby that we could get to clean up the mess and that they did not have time to bring any towels to us.( We should never had had to clean it up in the first place.) I was under the mistaken impression that we were the quest of the hotel not the hired staff. When I talked with the day manager he informed me that if he stayed at a hotel and the toilet stopped up he would fix it himself. I trully have a hard time believing it. He was not the least bit sympathetic to our problems and offered not compensation to us. I can promise you I will never stay at this hotel again.

Stayed November 2007
4 Thank bewitchinggypsy1
Tennessee
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2007

Family booked room by phone after seeing it on the internet (we were fooled by the pictures). Arrived only to find a run-down old hotel that was about as nasty could be. Spider webs in every corner, mold in AC unit, blood stain on pillow case. They were charging $85 per night for this room! This place was more like some $19.95 per night "no-tell motel." I would not recommend it to anyone. I cannot imagine anyone looking at the room I saw and then writing a favorable review. The staff by the way are real nice until you ask for your money back. We refused to stay at this place and left ($85 poorer than when we arrived).

• Liked — Leaving.
  • Disliked — The room was filthy.
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled with family
3 Thank AverageVacationer
Cincinnati
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2007

Hotels.com gave this place two stars, but it is deserving of more. The staff was very helpful, and the on site restaurant, though a pool side cafe, cooks up a great T-bone steak! Who knew? The Sidney James is a very pleasant surprise.

• Liked — The layout/overall comfort of the room.
  • Disliked — The shower head was too low on the wall.
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled as a couple
5 Thank eweber12
Tennessee
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2007

Our stay at Sidney James Mountain Lodge was a very bad experience and this was our 34th Anniversary trip.
1. First of all upon arrival all rooms had been given away except the room we were given, they said it was the last room available. The Internet when i reserved the room in August 2007 said a creek view, fireplace, and Jacuzzi, we got a praking lot view.
2. I had asked for a non smoking room and the smell of cigarette smoke was very strong at the entrance of our room. A work room was next door, the workers must be using this room as a smoke room. Ash trays were sitting around in our room.
3. The carpet was nasty, spots all over it, we left our shoes on the whole time we were in the room.
4. The curtains did not cover the window entirely and allowed the street lights to glare in our face at night.
5. The exhaust fam in the bathroom did not work.
6. The air conditioning could not keep up, the room got very warm in the night.
7. The bed mattress was old, very hard and uncomfortable. My husband and myself got up every morning with a backache.
8. The water in the shower would scald you one minute and then freeze you the next.
9. The towels were very rough.
10. Only one pack of coffee with one pack of creamer was in the room for each day.
Upon arrival I called the front desk and put in a work order for the exhaust fam to be fixed in the bathroom and a curtain that would cover the window better. No one fixed anything during our stay. I also asked if anything could be done about the uncomfortable mattress and thry said no.
My husband and I were very disappointed with this place, our reservations were made on 8/29/07, they should not have given away their best rooms prior to our arrival with this early reservation and the amount of money we paid. We will never stay in this place again. They do not do any upkeep on the lodge at all. We have lots of friends and family that have been staying at Sidney James Mountain Lodge as well, I don't think they will be staying there anymore as well.

B. Bryant, RN.

• Liked — Only the fact it was close to down town Gatlinburg, TN.
  • Disliked — The bed mattress, nasty carpet and no creek view as requested.
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Discouraged
Asheville NC
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2007

Complete Disaster !!! The room was soo nasty.. Here's just a few hair in the tub, rat turds under sink, balcony doors would not lock... The WORST hotel I have ever been too.. Yes its a good price.. But you are still paying.. And Im sorry Im not paying for something that nasty.. I dont need the top of the line, but seriously Just average is all Im asking for.. Please dont waste your time...

• Stayed September 2007
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank shoti22