“Value Hotel”

Ranked #55 of 78 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Covington, Ohio
“Value Hotel”
Reviewed 8 May 2012

The people at the front desk are really nice. The people in the cafe are really nice! The pools were lots of fun & exciting for the children. I must say the rooms were pretty run down. There were patched places in the wall paper. I did not feel like things were overly clean. We really liked the cute little balcony over the creek. I must admit - the 2 hotels very close by are an eye sore. The hotel is nice and close to town- within walking distance. If you are looking for a value priced hotel, you have found it. I would probably not camp out here for an extended amount of time but it was fine for 1 night.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Melanie T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 27 April 2012

had a wonderful stay at this hotel,away from the noise yet close to all the main attractions ,a sense of cozy seclusion but a short walk from whatever you want to be or do.met the G M ,Tommy Heffner ,a nice modest man who runs a smooth efficent operation.the guys at the front desk were all friendly and great.you can't beat their service people, a nail caused one of my tires to be flat. i was very stressed had no time nor know what to do.one of their maintenance men(Gary) came to the rescue,he kindly offered to help,while i was gone he took the tire and had the leak fixed.when i returned the tire was on fully inflated ,thanks to Gary a big problem was solved.they have a variety of rooms for every need i stayed at a jaccuzi suite by the creek,it was big ,and comfy and all the rooms had led tv with great cable.the hotel had a cafe which offered breakfast and lunch for very good prices.and if you want a nice retreat,they have two cabins,i went to look at one of them,it was charming,i was especially impressed with the large porch right on the creek,kept dreaming about having breakfast on that porch while listining to the soothing sound of the streaming water.in all it was a very nice stay

Room Tip: the creek side rooms are nice and big,had hdtv,large frig,microwave oven coffee maker great cable an...
2 Thank chuck s
Singapore
Reviewed 23 April 2012

After reading some of the reviews on this place, I was a bit skeptical when checking in. However, the room turned out better than what I had expected. Except for some difficulties opening the door ( its not the typical slide and turn card, u need to push the card all the way till u heard a click sound before turning the door handle ) and some ant problems, everything was fine. The bed was surprisingly very comfortable, firm with good support. Room was clean, quaint and well maintained. There was even a chimney at a corner. Quiet place as you can hear the sound of the stream. Only cons is that it's bit far from the main road, about 10 mins walk downslope and a upslope walk back.

1 Thank JaimeT22
Asheville, North Carolina
Reviewed 16 April 2012

First off, we stayed courtside and I dont know if the creekside rooms are nicer or not. The pool and hot tub across the street in the main building are super nice. There was an issue with the hot and cold water in the shower. No amount of adjusting and readjusting could keep the water from changing from cold to scalding hot and back again. We tried to shower quickly as possible and get out. We were going to ask to be moved to creekside but were told the rooms in courtside were nicer! We didn't care too much about the room anyway cause we just wanted a place to shower and sleep. However, the last day I woke up and found the counter sticky. The coffee condiment package was chewed through obviously by a rat or mouse. That was pretty gross. My husband showed it to the clerk at checkout and the said "we apologize we'll look into it". At least no bed bugs, I checked when we first got there.

Dothan
Reviewed 31 March 2012

We very much enjoyed our stay and will be staying again. The hotel is older but the room was very clean and comfy. We had a balcony over the stream which was so relaxing to just listen to as we were going to bed. The staff was very nice and helpful. The hotel is off the main strip but still in close walking distance. It was very quiet and relaxing. I would recommend. The room was fairly priced and it was a nice get away. It's not new but clean, quiet, and relaxing.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Franklin, Tennessee, United States
Reviewed 4 March 2012

I've visited The Smoky Mountains over thirty times in my life. My family and I come at least once or twice a year, and have we have stayed at all sorts of places--i.e. hotel/motel rooms, campsites, timeshares, gorgeous mountain chalets with all the amenities, etc. We enjoy trying new places. It's part of the fun of vacation for us.

That being said, I decided to take my husband and kids to check out the Sydney James Hotel during our last visit to Gatlinburg (June 2011). I'd vacationed there as a teenager in the mid-to-late eighties, and had enjoyed the cool pool, as well as the creekside view. I was hoping it would be a nice place to stay the next time we ventured to Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge.

We went to the front desk and asked if we could see a room. They said they hadn't finished cleaning the rooms yet, and directed us to the indoor pool area to wait.

In a word--YUCK! The pics of the pool we'd seen on the internet must have been from when they first put the pool in* (circa 1987-ish). It didn't look like it had been cleaned since then, literally. The water was murky at best, there was brown film on the sides of the pool, and garbage (candy wrappers, cans, cigarette butts, etc) was strewn all around.

Also, the pool area was very dark and dank. I remembered it as being kinda cozy and inviting, but now seemed scary and gross, even in the middle of the day. The idea of the "grotto" is great, but due to the lack of upkeep, it kinda reminded me of stories I've heard about the Playboy Mansion's Grotto--ICKY! I would NOT let my children go near that water.

I was ready to leave then, but the guy from the front desk showed up and said there was a clean room available to see, so we proceeded to it.

The room was TRASHED--it had not been cleaned. To add insult to injury, the carpets were filthy, we saw a roach, and the entire room smelled foul. Plus, the "balony" was tiny--barely enough room for 4 people to stand, much less sit. Also the creekside "view" was horrible--a rundown, vacant hotel on the other side of the creek, and more trash lining the creekbed.

The guy giving the tour apologized for showing us the wrong (uncleaned) room, and offered to take us to a clean room. I declined.

The only quasi-good thing I can say about Sydney James is that the gentleman showing us around the grounds seemed genuinely embarassed by the state of the hotel, and was very apologetic.

It's really sad that this hotel has fallen into such disrepair. Although the balcony was small, I could've overlooked that if everything else (maintainence-wise) was up to par. Unfortunately, it just isn't.

I think this hotel lures people in with the very out-dated pics of the pool and the creek view. I doubt seriously if they have much in the way of repeat business.

I'm glad I didn't book a room here before seeing it firsthand--it would've ruined my family's whole trip. Do yourself a favor and find another place. You couldn't pay me to stay here now. This is, BY FAR, the worst hotel I've ever seen in Gatlinburg--hands down.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family