“Had to check out and move”

Sidney James Mountain Lodge
Ranked #61 of 78 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Lynchburg, tn
“Had to check out and move”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2012

Beds were hard, pillows thin, and with open rooms they put us along the side with construction starting at 6 am.

They were very nice about us checking out and refunded our unused nights.

1 Thank Paige J
SidneyJamesMtnLodge, General Manager at Sidney James Mountain Lodge, responded to this review, 8 August 2012
Dear Paige J, we are sorry to hear that your stay was unsatisfactory. Our staff was unaware that the crew working next door would be starting at such an early time. We thought they were regulated by city ordinance/code not to begin until after 8 A.M. Apparently not, according to the commercial district in which we are located. I am glad to report that all the demolition across the creek has been completed and the beautiful view of the creek, from our balconies, is no longer distorted by an abandoned building. We do apologize for the inconvenience and I certainly hope that you will give us another chance to meet your lodging needs next time you visit Gatlinburg and the Great Smokey Mountain area.

S. Maples, GM

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
bee spring ky
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2012

Stayed one night on the way back from Myrtle Beach. Super disappointed. Our room overlooked an abandoned, broken down hotel. Looked like something from Ghost Hunters! 1 of the chairs on the balcony was broken..rusted in half. In the stream there was trash, shoes, an old cell phone, and sunglasses. My children were sure someone had been killed across the way! Our room smelled like it had been closed up and abandoned for several years. It was clean though. The air worked great, being that it was 105 outside. The indoor pool was cool. The kids enjoyed it. Lesson learned...

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
SidneyJamesMtnLodge, General Manager at Sidney James Mountain Lodge, responded to this review, 22 August 2012
Dear Pistonfanky,

I am Sorry to hear of your disappointment with the view from your accommodations. I am happy to report the building across the stream has been torn down and leveled off and returned to green space. The View is much nicer now from the creek side balconies. We have proactively been posting pictures on our facebook site to show the progress of the demolition of the former Garden Plaza Hotel. I was pleased to hear that the pools and cleanliness of the room did met your expectations. Next time you visit Gatlinburg, I hope you would consider stopping by the Sidney James and giving us the opportunity to better accommodate your stay.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2012

We stayed for one night while on our way to myrtle beach and thought it wasn't too bad for the price. I must say definitely get the creek side view if you stay. Pools were nice, staff was nice, and location is close to shops ( and near Bubba Gumps!) and also near mountains.. It is off of a side street to the main strip so your not stuck in all the traffic. The only cons: beds not too comfortable and would like if they offered a continental breakfast.. Other than that, it was worth the price!

• Stayed July 2012
SidneyJamesMtnLodge, General Manager at Sidney James Mountain Lodge, responded to this review, 15 August 2012
Dear Cherbear621,
we appreciate the time you have taken to review our property and are pleased to hear you
enjoyed yourself. I am sorry to hear your bed was not more comfortable than you expected and while we don't offer a "free" continental breakfeast, I hope our Full service resturant was able to meet your dining needs.
We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your overall stay and the amenities Our property has to offer. We hope to see you again in the future and thank you for Making the Sidney James Mountain Lodge your choice for Lodging while visiting Gatlinburg.

Medina, Ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2012

This is by far the worst experience I have ever had with a hotel. It was dirty and the staff has the worst customer service imaginable. My husband, 6 year old, and I booked our stay for the 4th of July week looking for a fun place to stay close to downtown Gatlinburg. Since we drove in from Ohio prior to check-in we quickly dropped our bags and went exploring the town. After a fun day, we returned to our hotel room to relax and we were shocked to discover our room was less then comfortable. There were holes in the carpet, the dresser drawer was broken so badly that it was hanging off its track, the ceiling was covered with bugs, the sink faucet dripped, mold covered the bathroom, the sink appeared to be falling off the wall, the a/c had two settings – full blast or off, and our "creek side view" was actually that of an abandoned hotel that is the middle of demolition with crime scene tape everywhere. We went down to talk to the front desk attendant to ask for a transfer but on our way to the office we had to walk through a two floor stairwell that was completely dark from either light bulbs being out or an electrical issue. Our son tripped and scraped his leg on the stairs so we decided that we should just cancel our reservations and try to find a safer and cleaner place. At the front desk I was rudely informed that since I didn’t complain immediately upon check-in that I would not be refunded my stay. The front desk attendant actually got into a yelling match with my husband in the foyer. We went to pack our bags to leave and the same guy let himself into the room without knocking to “check out” the situation. We left that night and the next day I called to speak with the manager about a possible refund since we didn’t use the room. The manager informed me that the attendant that came into the room noted that we had used the shower and beds - which was a complete lie. He then said he would research the situation and call me back…well it has been two weeks and I have not received a call back. However, when I tried to follow up the front desk actually hung up on me. My advice would be to stay far, far away from this awful place! We moved to the River Chase in Pigeon Forge and had a fantastic vacation.

1 Thank Kala C
Columbus, Ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2012

I arrive last Friday morning for early check in, I was sceptical about staying here after all the reviews I read on this page. I tried to have an open mind but wanted to check the room out to make sure everything was ok before I let my family stay. The room had such an odor when you opened the door it took my breathe, in the bathroom there was old toilet paper in the toilet, the fixtures was falling off the wall and the mirror was broken, I then pulled the covers back and to my disgust found a bedbug! I hate to write such bad things because I was hopeful that the reviews were wrong but unfortunately they were right! The staff was very friendly and didnt hesitate to give us our money back. We were only on the premises 10 minutes but that was 10 minutes too long!!!! our rooms were 158/159!!!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Harriman, Tennessee
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2012

My husband & I joined my mom, step dad, 2 sisters, 2 brother in laws, 2 nieces & 2 nephews on a trip to Gatlinburg. My mom recommended staying here because she & my step dad had stayed here a few weeks before our trip & she really liked the people who ran the hotel & the creek view. It was clean & the 4th floor that my husband & I stayed on had cathedral ceilings, the room was large & the bathroom was small, it also had a small deck overlooking the creek that we enjoyed. The bed was average but the hotel had an indoor pool with a cave theme that was nice & an outdoor pool. The pool stayed open until 11:00 p.m. & it opens at 8:00 a.m. The people that work there are very friendly at the front desk. There is a cafe called A Steak Delivery that has great country cooking & their cheap. It is located beside the indoor & outdoor pool. You can catch the trolley that will take you about anywhere you want to go & it cost .50 per person or you can buy a pass for $2.00 per person daily. I would recommend this hotel for someone that was staying a day or two but it wasn't the kind of hotel I was use to staying in. I may stay there again because of the resturaunt & the kind people, as well as its location but only for a short trip. We had a great time & will be visiting the smokies again. I love you Duane & Haleigh!

Pound, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2012

We've stayed at the Sidney James every trip for probably the past two years. We always stay creekside or in the clubhouse. Our rooms have always been clean and comfortable. Our last trip in June we had a little bit of a hassle getting extra pillows and the shower went from hot to cold, but this will in no way keep us from going back. In fact we will be back next weekend.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple