“Sidney James Mountain Lodge - HORRIBLE!!!!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sidney James Mountain Lodge

Sidney James Mountain Lodge
Ranked #60 of 78 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Georgia
“Sidney James Mountain Lodge - HORRIBLE!!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2008

We booked our room at Sidney James based on the pics from website. When we arrived, we checked in, paid and were off to our room. The smell when we walked in was very musty, the tub was brown/black in the bottom, the kleenex holder was completely rusted and only attached to the wall by the two bottom screws so was hanging open permanently, counters were badly stained, drains in sink and tub were badly rusted, floor tiles were broken, dresser had a broken drawer that hung open, carpet was stained and dirty, mattress was like sitting on box springs, covers of bed smelled musty, just plain unclean. Not at all what we expected. When we went down to talk with the clerk, we were offered another room. This one was "updated." We looked and it did appear cleaner; however, the wet, musty smell was overwhelming from the minute we opened the door. We were refunded one of our nights but not the other and were told we could speak with the manager the next day. He did not offer even an apology, instead began yelling, and telling us they could not put a pic of every room on the site. Very rude, antagonistic, used profanity, and we were told "Sue us, we have good lawyers." I understand that every room cannot be pictured, but I do expect a fair representation of what I am paying for. This one was way off. We wound up paying about the same per night to stay somewhere else that was infinitely cleaner and more pleasant, and as always, had a great time with our family in Gatlinburg!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Very dirty and misrepresented
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank Mom1209

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2008

i have to dissagree on all the negative reviews , the staff was very friendly, our room was great we loved the view, our kids had a good time they hated to leave the pools &m sauna were awesome i have to admit some hotels have thier flaws but i would return with my family & recomend this place to anyone, the price was good the environment was clean and the staff was glad to help us out with anything

• Liked — swimming pool
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank charlezangel4life
Florence, Alabama
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2008

I hate to be totally negative about this place, because there are some good points. First of all, the rates were that best that I could find for a hotel with an indoor pool within walking distance to the Convention Center. We stayed 2 nights and got an extra night free. Next, the indoor pool area looked pretty neat. It had that whole waterfall, grotto effect going on, with a kiddie pool and a hot tub. Finally, our room appeared to have been recently renovated. The carpet, wall covering, and bedspreads seemed to be in decent shape and the housekeeping staff did a good job each day. However, there were several problems. The guy at the front desk was nice, but overly so. He overstepped his purpose by asking personal questions and trying to be a comedian. Although the room appeared clean, for a no smoking room, it smelled nasty. We had to walk around a construction dumpster to get to the door of our ground level room. The room next door had been completely gutted. We also had a small balconey overlooking a mountain stream (that some may call a glorified drainage ditch), but the sliding glass door was off the track, making it very difficult to open and close. The view also included another hotel just across the stream. The two double beds were hard and uncomfortable and the bathroom was very small. With room for only one person at a time in front of the bathroom mirror, we had to get ready in shifts. There were other mirrors, but the lighting was not good enough for putting on makeup. Overall, this hotel is satisfactory if you need a cheap place to stay and don't plan on spending a lot of time in your room. The indoor pool is a good feature for the cold winter months.

• Liked — Value
  • Disliked — Smell
  • Stayed February 2007, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank desdemama
Bristol, TN 37620
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2008

WHen I checked in I thougt this has to be nice because of the size of the place but, I was fooled the first room(162) I got was court side looked like a very bad Motel room from a horror movie!
I called to the front desk & told them there was no way I could keep my child in this place & they immediately moved me to Creekside room(212) it was better but the place just seemed dirty. I will never stay here again! I will definately not reccommed this place to anyone. We were in town 1-11-08 through 1-13-08 for a church convention And I must say the stay in this place was the worst part of my trip. We could not even shower because the bathrooms looked so unsanitary!! Had to go to a friends hotel to shower. I can't believe that there aren't some kind of health inspecters for these places. We have stayed in Gatlinburg several times & this was the WORST!

The pool was pretty but had some areas of mold on the ceiling.
I think this place is in serious need of a makeover!

Stayed January 2008
3 Thank carilee2001
NC
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2008

My then boyfriend (my fiance now) booked one night Dec 2007 to stay during the Chrismas parade. We expected a half way decent place considering the money we spent. First off, when we went into the lobby to check in the front desk people were not friendly , they didnt even greet us, they didnt even look up they just kept on doing thier own thing while we stood there. We paid for our room and was handed the oldest looking room key I have ever seen, actually I have never seen one this old! We could barely get into the room (had to slam into the door to get it to open) the room was a non smoking creekside, however it was musty, dim lights, torn furniture, a bathroom you could barely turn around in, the bed was terribly hard and flat, outdated beadspread, when you shut the front door you could see through the door to the outside on one side, the fireplace looked like something from the jetsons (a big red disk shaped type thing, no instructions or warnings on how to use the thing, the back door that openend to a balcony over looking the creek , was old and outdated and you could see throught that door too (where the door is normally supose to seal when you shut it, I guess it was so old and settled it didnt seal). I was just not impressed with the hotel at all and I would recommed something a little closer to main street, we nearly froze to death walking back after the parade even though when I called they described the hotel not being that far away, maybe a 5 min walk, it was more like a 20 min walk!

• Liked — That we at least had a place to stay to see the parade.
  • Disliked — The hard as a rock bed, flat pillows and old bedspread.
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled as a couple
3 Thank beachbabewannabe
Knoxville,TN
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2007

My daughters and I spent 2 nights- Nov 30 and Dec 1 2007 for a nice weekend together. We wanted the in room jacuzzi and that came with a fireplace also which was nice. We expected it to be creekside but it over looked a parking lot.When we walked in there was a sofa bed , the jacuzzi , bathroom , a small frig and a small sink ,microwave and coffeepot. It had a king bed in an upstairs loft with adjoining bathroom. Nothing looked inviting or clean smelling.One small package of coffee with no cream or sugar. Two of us took the bed and two of us used the sofa bed. They were both bad.The sofa bed mattress was very thin and the bars across it made it extremely uncomfortable. For it to be warm downstairs made it very hot upstairs.The pillows were flat. The sheets and blankets rough. For the 2 nights it was about $270 and for that I expected decent at least. Will never stay here again.

• Liked — Nothing.
  • Disliked — The room comfort
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled with family
3 Thank mtneden
Cincinnati
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2007

My wife and I booked a room with this hotel on Thanksgiving weekend. The first room we were given had some kind of water leak. The carpet was sopping wet and the room smelled very musty. The drywall on the ceiling in the bathroom was collapsed in one corner, and a couple of the lights did not work. After complaining to the office we were moved two doors down where the room also had problems. The heater would only run full blast so we were forced to turn it on and off all night to keep from burning up. There were also a few lamps in this room that did not work either. The following day when we complained to the manager, he told us that "it's an old hotel and we are doing the best we can do". He was extremely rude and refused to refund our money. I hope they do not always treat their customers this way, but regardless I would deffinately not recommend staying there.

• Disliked — management/employees
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled as a couple