“Friendly, clean & comfy!”

Sidney James Mountain Lodge
Ranked #55 of 78 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Scranton, Pennsylvania
“Friendly, clean & comfy!”
Reviewed 27 December 2012

I usually stay here twice a year and have not been disappointed at all in 8 years. I was here for 4 days on my most recent trip. My Courtside room on this trip was fresh and nice with a fridge. king bed and a cozy back porch. Cable TV has a good selection of channels and internet is reliable, although not lightning-fast. It's located near the center of town but it is a 4-block downhill walk into town. Keep that in mind if you have limited mobility, because the walk back uphill can be tiring after a long day! I usually stay alone and use the SJ as a base for hiking. Many main trails are within a few miles of the hotel and it's an easy drive (or fabulous walk) to a dozen traliheads. I have also taken my family there several times in the past and we all give it a thumbs up! It's very quiet being a few blocks from the madness of downtown. The pool and sauna in the main lodge are nice and some of the premium rooms are exceptional. But for the best rates and overall ease of access, I would recommend the Courtside rooms. I have stayed at some 'iffy' hotels in Gatlinburg and some really nice, expensive ones. The SJ has all the good qualities travelers need with no unpleasant surprises. The off-peak rates make this motel a genuine bargain!

Room Tip: Some 2nd floor Courtside rooms have nice porches.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
Wise, Virginia
Reviewed 3 December 2012 via mobile

We stayed here for a competition at the convention center. It was very convenient to the venue, and the price was great. The kids loved the indoor pool. It's very no frills, so if you don't mind that, you will be fine. This is NOT luxury!!! The restaurant by the pool was good for diner fare, and the woman running it was friendly as could be. Overall an average stay. No complaints.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank Cathie C
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 30 November 2012

Let me start this review by saying that I got a great price on this hotel so I cannot complain very much. My family stayed in a courtside room. It was clean but nothing at all fancy. The pool and jacuzzi in the main hotel were awesome. The staff was fairly nice. The trolley didn't seem to roll through very often to take people to the main strip and it was quite a walk to get there. I definitely got my share of exercise while i was there. I would stay there again if the price was right.but wouldn't spend a lot on one of their courtside rooms.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
Jacksonville, FL
Reviewed 30 November 2012

The SJM Lodge is a family owned lodge and the staff could not have been more friendly. Our room was equipped with a fireplace which we loved. The hotel is a short 10 minute walk to the heart of Gatlinburg shopping and restaurants. We also had 2 breakfasts and one dinner at the on-site cafe. The meals were prepared perfectly. The indoor heated pool and hot tub looked so inviting we regretted not packing our swimsuits. It was an excellent value and we would highly recommend it. The hotel also provided free Wi-Fi which was a nice bonus.

It is about a 15 degree walk up hill and upon return it was slow going after shopping all day. The hot water in the shower was luke warm and never got corrected.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Marstons Mills, Massachusetts
Reviewed 27 November 2012

This was the third time I stayed here. The staff couldn't be nicer, but outside of their courteous manner, this was easily my worst hotel experience in years. I was in a "Creekside" room (128) where I was to enjoy a babbling brook right outside my patio door. They failed to mention that the table would have a six inch circle of dirt/mud in the center and that one of the chairs would have half of the rusty screws that once supported the seat, aimed at my rear end. The fridge froze my food, no wi-fi, the light on the phone never stopped blinking for the entire time I was there (until I disconnected it), despite the fact that I reported it twice to the front desk..... and, no, I had no messages. Coffee there some days, coffee pot rinsed out some days, sheets changed some days (I think), shower/bath may have been cleaned once, but I wouldn't bet on it. There is some strange "sticky stuff" keeping the wallpaper up, and every day, I would see how long it would hold up a dry washcloth...... 1:15 was the record.

If you get this room, see if the 20 square inch strategically built spider web is still above the light on the wall as you enter the bedroom. I read with a smile the story of another's stay, here, and how they fought off the mosquitos, and figured that the spider must have gotten the wrong room. How great it was to get home to my mattress..... that queen having died in the nineties.... last century, along with the rest of the amenities in the room.

I was awakened most mornings by the sound of heavy equiment breaking up concrete and moving soil on the adjacent lot. Perhaps they should start on this bulding next.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank KillerHays
Reviewed 26 November 2012

Joe at the front desk was very welcoming and informative about the area. He let us know the pool was crowded, due to the Football Turkeybowl going on. But said we could have access to it for awhile after hours. He was very accommodating. Our beds were very comfortable and the laundry room was very convenient. Two of the six dryers were not running properly, but were promptly fixed the following morning. Will definately be back. Loved the pool area. Joe is a huge asset to this company. :) Hope T.

• Stayed November 2012
westerly
Reviewed 13 November 2012

i stay with sid , bill and the rest of the fine staff here at least once a year.
everybody from sid (gm), bill (overnight desk mgr ) to the cafe staff welcome me as if it were home for me. accomodations are great......just stayed in a creekside room .....those were nice. i have my own room they reserve for me each year. this is a great, family friendly place that i reccomend highly !

Room Tip: there are plenty of options - different amenities to choose from. please ask about them !
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled solo