“Good burgers, and great Quiet Place!”

Sidney James Mountain Lodge
Ranked #55 of 78 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Laplace, Louisiana, United States
“Good burgers, and great Quiet Place!”
Reviewed 24 October 2013

When you come to Gatlinburg, stay off the main path! So, I did my sight seeing for the day, awesome! However, I just wanted to share my highlight of the day. I’m staying at the Sidney James Lodge(room 103) Yesterday I ordered a ½ pound burger with cheese, grilled onions and mushrooms. It was great! Just went to the hotel café and she already knew what I wanted. This burger was even better!! (it beats Anita’s in Boutee) So the café closes at 2pm, which is when I picked up my burger. My foam plate to go box was waiting for me and had a name on it written on it which kinda threw me off…..till I got to my room. Picture this…..I’m in jeans, Wal-Mart jacket, and a t-shirt that says “GOT INK?” and wearing my silver chain with my little pendent. She noticed…..

Room Tip: Creek side rooms, I slept with my door open every night! Very relaxing!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
Reviewed 22 October 2013 via mobile

I and now we have stayed at the Sidney James many times over the years.
Had a week at Christmas but Oct is splendid so we cancelled Winter til later when my kids and Grandaughter can join us perhaps next year. We spend at LEAST aweek there once a
year. Friendly helpful and good clean rooms in the pet area. Hope to start twice a year in April and October

Would reccomend anytime the Smokies are beautiful and walking distance to downtown Gatlinburg.

• Stayed October 2013
Fredonia, Kentucky
Reviewed 18 October 2013

We really had a relaxing , fun time staying here. The pool area was so pretty and had hot tub plus kiddie pool. A cafe was also in pool area which was handy for a snack or drink while you swam. Our room was VERY CLEAN and comfortable, only down thing was small bathroom. The staff was friendly and helpful, great place for families!

Room Tip: Pet friendly rooms available on court side rooms. Nice walking area for pets.
Owensboro, Kentucky
Reviewed 17 October 2013

Hotel was ok, its older and needs updating. We were suppose to have a room with a fireplace but they put us in a regular room. The room was pretty small. No irons or ironing boards in room, you have to walk to the office to get them. Place was kind of noisy cause you have to park right outside your door and you can hear doors closing and people talking alot. Our room was creekside which was really nice and you can hear the water running thru the creek. Balcony was very small, barely big enough to stand. The indoor pool and hot tub was nice but had way too much chlorine. Our skin smelled like bleach/chlorine for a couple of days. The hotel front desk hardly answers the telephone, we tried several times before we checked in. Hotel was not hard to find at all and it was within walking distance, about 1 block or less from the Log Cabin pancake house, great to be able to walk to everything.

Room Tip: Creekside rooms were nice. The fireplace rooms would probably be bigger and nicer I would imagine.
Monroe, TN
Reviewed 15 October 2013

Do not believe the what the photos show. We were extremely disappointed to say the least. The tile floors were absolutely nasty, as was the baseboard. The carpet was no better. The creek side room had a musty smell and a bad water stain running down the wall from the room above. We will never stay there again. This place is in BAD need of some major renovation. We elected not to try the breakfast, as we were more than ready to leave. The only positive thing was that the staff was friendly.

Room Tip: Don't do it.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank James S
Reviewed 14 October 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights as part of marketing presentation. Location is nearly mile from main street - not conducive to walking there at night. Place really needs updating. Room was large, but wall paper peeling, light switch by entry door didnt't work, broken floor tiles in front of sink (made noise whenever you walked on them), balcony door/area was filthy. Wifi was spotty. SOmetimes couldn't get it to connect at all.

Staff were OK. Not overly helpful. Went to desk to ask question and 2 people busy talking. When they finally decided to help, they went to the guy that came after me. The second person never bothered to even try to ask if I needed help.

If I had paid more for the room, I would have been furious. Not sure if I would recommend to anyone since it doesn't have anything near it and the place needs to major cleaning!

1 Thank Njmmom
Tazewell, Tennessee
Reviewed 11 October 2013

Stayed in the annex section, rooms across the road from the main hotel, with a group I took to Gatlinburg, and it was literally the worst place I have ever stayed in my life. There were few redeeming qualities about our room.

The hotel is located at the north end of Gatlinburg, but up a hill and at the very end of that hill. So, the walk down is ok, but the walk up is not ideal to say the least. The pool is really the only facet of this lodging that is of any value. As far as other rooms I have no insight. I only hope they were better than the one I stayed in. I do not recommend this hotel, nor should you search it out. There are other lodgings more suited for you and your family's needs.

Room Tip: If you have to stay here ask for rooms on the main hotel site.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled on business