“Stay here” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #59 of 78 Hotels in Gatlinburg
North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
“Stay here”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2013

This is a fair priced hotel that has an indoor pool, hot tub and sauna. This is exactly the kind of place we would like to stay at while on vacation.

We only stayed for two days, but would definitely come back. Some things that could be improved include the cleaning staff actually cleaning your room. When we left room service had skipped our room and was in the one beside ours cleaning. We assumed they would then clean ours however that was not the case upon return.

Some of the rooms are a little out dated, the beds are not perfect but acceptable none the less. Staff is friendly and the perks the hotel offers make for an enjoyable time for those just looking to relax. I do not know if the out door pool is operational during the summer, but if so, its quite a good size and looks like something I would love to swim in.

This is the kind of place the average family would want to stay at. This is our second stay with The Sydney James and we will be back again. We enjoyed the creek side more than we did the court side (this time) but not a bad bang for the buck by any means.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Dawn B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
Crouse
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013

I had such a terrible stay at the Sidney James this past weekend. We woke up Saturday morning to a bathroom floor full of water. We immediately called the front desk and reported it. We were told that while we were out the leak would be fixed, however when we got back there was still a bathroom full of water. It was late when we got back to the hotel, so they had all day to work on the leak, but once again I called the front desk and was told they would check it the next morning. I asked about a discount for the inconvience. I mean really, you don't expect to have to keep cleaning up water off the floor just to be able to go to the bathroom. The man at the desk said when you check out the next morning to remind him and he would see what he could do. They gave me a big $22 off the entire amount of the price of the room. To say I was disappointed is an understatement. Not only did we have to deal with the leaking the room smelled of mildew. I will never stay there again, I would rather sleep outside!!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank Tammy C
Lafayette, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2013

We had an economy room court side, nothing spectacular, but very clean, and staff was very nice. Probably the nicest in all of our stays in the area. Its 1/2 mile from the center of the parkway, so its walkable to the main attractions. Its far enough away to be quiet also. It is a very nice stay.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank bhinesley
Fort Myers, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2013

We checked in at this hotel today and we were extremely disappointed. It does not look anything like the pictures. We were paying way more for something you could get at a motel 8. The room smelled of mildew and there were bugs inside and out of the room. Even a wasp which I am extremely allergic and was afraid to go into my room. I went to the front desk after they refused to answer their phones and they called maintence while we went out and ate dinner. We came back and the room was still covered in bugs. So I went to the office again and asked to see a different room. The next room we went into was almost as bad. The mildew smell was worse. We decided to check out and stay elsewhere.

• Stayed October 2013
2 Thank MBehr1219
Chattanooga, Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2013

My family and I went on a spur of the moment Smokey Mountain getaway and was able to book a room at this hotel last minute. After reading the reviews I was a little hesitant about booking here with the mixed reviews, however I am pleased that we did. Granted the hotel is dated interior wise however I feel that adds a little nostalgic charm to the place. The pool is the most talked about feature of the hotel and while that is a nice pool the customer service is bar none. We were treated very nice and even had a free upgrade to our room upon arrival. Our stay was nice and quiet and the kids LOVED LOVEDLOVED the pool. once we checked out we decided we would stay here again when we wanted a cheap weekend with great customer service. The hotel staff was so great he had left 2 sippy cups in the room and they even called and told us about it which was good because we had a little one asking about them and almost had to stop and buy another so 4 stars in customer service hotels were clean but dated and we would stay again for an impromptu visit to the mTs

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Vanderbilt Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2013 via mobile

We had a great time.kids loved the pool.great staff realy loved night desk man so sweet I did not get his name.the house keeper was . We stayed on waterside loved it wil be back soon.was very clean I work at a hotel and could not find nothing dirty

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank 34704Emily1981
Laplace, Louisiana, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2013

When you come to Gatlinburg, stay off the main path! So, I did my sight seeing for the day, awesome! However, I just wanted to share my highlight of the day. I’m staying at the Sidney James Lodge(room 103) Yesterday I ordered a ½ pound burger with cheese, grilled onions and mushrooms. It was great! Just went to the hotel café and she already knew what I wanted. This burger was even better!! (it beats Anita’s in Boutee) So the café closes at 2pm, which is when I picked up my burger. My foam plate to go box was waiting for me and had a name on it written on it which kinda threw me off…..till I got to my room. Picture this…..I’m in jeans, Wal-Mart jacket, and a t-shirt that says “GOT INK?” and wearing my silver chain with my little pendent. She noticed…..

Room Tip: Creek side rooms, I slept with my door open every night! Very relaxing!