“I have only one complaint.”

Sidney James Mountain Lodge
Ranked #52 of 78 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Boaz, Alabama
“I have only one complaint.”
Reviewed 20 February 2009

The bed was hard. That is my only complaint. Other than that we had no issues at all. The room was clean. The staff were very friendly. The pool area was clean, and we really enjoyed relaxing in the hot tub. It is about 3 blocks up Historic nature trail right next to the Garden plaza hotel. We drove into town and parked at a public lot right next to the four seasons hotel. Had it been warmer we would have walked from the hotel. Our room was on the 1st floor overlooking the creek. The balcony is small, but it did not bother me at all. I would stay there again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
Richmond, KY
Reviewed 15 February 2009

What great fun we had here! We booked this room after reading many of the reviews on Tripadvisor - the reviews are dead-on accurate. Here's what we hated: the age of the rooms/bathrooms/television. It just felt like something out of 1970 and looked like it. In some ways, we enjoyed the feel of 'ancient motor lodge'. Water pressure was particularly low. Small toilet. On the plus side, this place was so cheap. It also has two outdoor pools and one indoor pool. The indoor 'landscaped' pool is a big draw for families with kids, and there is a nearby kiddie pool and also a large hot tub (luke-warm-ish water though). They added plenty of chlorine to make sure we didn't catch anything. There is a small deli next to the pool which serves decent hamburgers, but it barely meets low-end diner standard. The hotel is really too far for older people to walk down to the strip, so a short drive might be required. We loved the location though, and the fact that we had a creekside room with balcony. The creek is very loud, and we left our balcony door slightly ajar to better hear the creek as we slept. That was nice. We couldn't get a wi-fi signal, if they had one. The rooms didn't seem noisy, even though we had lots of young people staying there. We would stay here again given the same room rate.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
Mississippi
Reviewed 1 January 2009

D U M P!!! My husband chose this place as a romantice getaway via their website! WE WERE VERY DISAPPOINTED! I wanted to leave immediately, but decided to deal with it. First of all, we did not get the room that we had reserved and paid for. We had a creekside with balcony, ground level. OLD, OUTDATED, STAINED CARPETS, SMELLY, AND UGLY DECOR! Don't get me wrong, some old/historic lodges are beautiful. THIS IS NOT ONE OF THOSE PLACES! Positives: listening to the creek at night and the huge jacuzzi tub. But, with the tub, it took FOREVER for it to fill up with water. Claimed to have WiFi access but you have to go to lobby. We were only able to connect once while there. Parts of the indoor pool(waterfall) were not working/turned on and the areas had green junk in them. We did not use it. FOR THE MOST PART, THE WHOLE PLACE WAS NASTY!

With all said, we did have clean bath towels and clean sheets. Yes, I checked for bed bugs! That's how worried I was! None seen, though.

HOWEVER, THIS PLACE DOES NOT SET THE MOOD FOR LOVE! HA!

WE WILL NEVER BE BACK!

• Liked — The creek
  • Disliked — The entire building
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank HebronHill
North Carlolina
Reviewed 15 December 2008

Very friendly staff, wonderful room with fireplace and jaquizi overlooking creek for a very reasonable price. I don't know where the negative reviews come from and I was worried until we got there, but the concerns went away within 5 minutes. Also, the indoor pool was awesome on this very cold weekend.

• Liked — Coziness
  • Disliked — No night restaurant and bar
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DutchFan
Tennessee
Reviewed 24 November 2008

This place is a DIVE. My 11 year old son even complained about the room. He said "On a scale from 1-6 I'd rate this place a 1." The burgundy shag carpet in our room was so old and worn that the traffic path was a muddy color. I wouldn't allow my son to go barefoot in the room. The bedspread and blanket were thread bare and nasty. There were bad scuffs and dings on the plaster walls-the walls were badly painted & no paint on the trim work. The bathroom was awful. The tub leaked and had pealing paint at the drain. There was mold growing on the bathroom ceiling and the shower curtain did not seem to be an appropriate type of curtain at all. The room was so dark that with 3 lamps in the bedroom and lights on in the vanity area it was still difficult to properly apply make-up. The art work (HA!) I'm SURE came from a dollar store 30 or more years ago. This place was just so WRONG on so many levels!

The room was nasty enough that I felt the need to search for bed bugs or worse on the bed (I didn't see any to my suprise or any other bug-however it was 13 degrees that night). I took my son to see the pool and he didn't even want to go in it because the water was so cloudy. We didn't go near the restaurant. If I hadn't paid in advance for the room through Expedia, I would have looked at the room and told the desk thanks but No thanks. Folks, there are just too many hotels in Gatlinburg to waste your money on this dump. This place reminded me of the "old school" no tell motels along I-40 back in the 60's.

I will however give the housekeeping staff Kudos for doing the best they could with what little they had to work with. They did keep the room stocked with towels and they at least attempted to vacuume. The family that owns this place ought to be ashamed. There is absolutely no excuse for not even trying to update.

If you need to penny -pinch, I suggest you stay further out like Sevierville or Pigeon Forge. In retrospect, I would gladly have paid an additional 30$ or more a night for even the most basic of creature comforts. Tsk ,tsk ,tsk , shame on the owners!

Stayed November 2008
1 Thank AliciaBen8
robertswifey
Reviewed 23 November 2008

We booked this hotel via internet. When we arrived, the staff was SUPER friendly. We had to stay in the room across the street because we stayed courtside. We got into the room, plopped down on the bed and SMACK it felt like we layed on a board! We decided to go eat supper and so when we left my *fiance*, which became my husband the next day :), called the desk and told them there was no sticker on the heater to tell how to turn the heater up and down. They already had it fixed when we came back! The next morning when we took a shower apparently ALL of the church kids were taking showers also, so there was NO hot water. Well, after we got married we came back to the room later that night and decided to go get in the sauna and pool. I sat on the side of the tub to shave my legs, the water was actually warm then, and in the middle of shaving my legs, the water scalded my leg, I mean no warning that it was going to get that hot or anything, and it left a pretty big nasty mark on my leg, not to mention it hurt too. Then we went to the sauna, which was very nice. The pool was a little chilly but we enjoyed it. I would advise anyone NOT to go when church groups are there because they have NO respect for anyone. They have dirty mouths and they are up screaming at about 7 am every morning. Apparently the hotel is close to a convention center, which could be good or bad. Bad in our situation, cause those little church kids are not behaved very well. If we do stay again, it would have to be cheaper and in the main hotel, where it doesn't get as rowdy as the courtside. But although we had some bad experiences with the hotel, I know that some things were not their fault (like the church kids). The staff here was EXEPTIONAL, I would just call before I made reservations to make sure there were no church conventions going on.

• Liked — friendly staff
  • Disliked — supposed to have WIFI, but they do not let you know that you don't have it across the street and we wanted that :(
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed 29 October 2008

I recently stayed at this hotel for a last minute get away to Gatlinburg and I was not disappointed. Anyone that has been to Gatlinburg will know that luxury accommodations are not part of the deal-at least near downtown. Because we decided at the last minute and the rate for our room was so low, I was a little nervous about what to expect. However, I did not need to be nervous! The room was small and a bit outdated, but it had a little fridge and we have the cutest little balcony over looking a small creek with a little waterfall. We had a great time at the indoor pool and hot tub, it is so nice. Also, the staff was so nice and accommodating. I did not stay in the courtside, but I can tell you it is worth the money to stay in the main hotel, it is definitely nicer and not much more expensive (none of the hotels in Gatlinburg are particularly expensive). We had no problem walking to town for dinner, it is not a far walk at all, although we are a young couple. I would definitely return to this hotel again, it was a good time.

• Liked — The pool and hot tub.
  • Disliked — They did not allow us to bring our dog
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple