“Good... not the best”

Sidney James Mountain Lodge
Ranked #52 of 78 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Reviewed 23 April 2005

This is an older hotel. Pretty clean all except the cob webs in the corners. Very cool indoor pool with a mountain waterfall!!! That was kool!!! even has a little cave like thing. All rooms had a mini fridge. that was nice!!! Room service was good!!! I would stay there again!!! They were a cheap place!!! $100 for 2 nights!!!

7  Thank bubbleblower123

Rocky Mount, Virginia
Reviewed 26 March 2005

We recently stayed at the sydney james and truly enjoyed our stay! We will definitely be returning. The hotel was clean and the staff was excellent. The pool was truly a relaxing atmosphere along with the hot tub!! The creek side balcony brought this hotel to a close for us with a very high 1st impression.

From Virginia

10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 28 February 2005

We stayed there after getting a brochure 3 nights for $99.00...
room pretty small but clean..bathtub kinda of gringy though..
pool nice, but lighting bad and waterfall very noisy in pool area, windows could use cleaning, in winter dont count on trolley coming its not so you will be walking downtown..close to Outback but they just announe they are closing up..

if you can get an upgrade by creek its pretty good, but lots of nicer motels in area. but for 3 nights for $99.00 you cant beat it in winter..

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 17 February 2005

My boyfriend and I stayed at Sidney James for three nights over Valentine's Day weekend 2005. The hotel is definitely outdated but was very clean. Aside from the ladybugs that somehow kept finding their way into our room..we were pleased. We had a jacuzzi suite. The tub was large and worked without any problems. The mirrored walls and naked Greek man statue (it looked like his head had been glued back on several times over the years)were a bit tacky but added fun to the room!! Our friends stayed in a standard room near the pool which was the size of a large closet but very clean. Overall, I would reccommend this hotel for the price and location its a good deal. It's a close walk to the best restaurants, night spots, sky lift, and the National Parks. Happy Trails!

• Stayed: February 2005
5  Thank ImaTravelGal
Johnson City, TN
Reviewed 15 January 2005

I stayed for several days at this motel because I liked the location. However, I had to drag my luggage up the stairs and down a long hall to get to my room. When I asked for assistance, I was told I would have to take care of my own luggage. There was dirty laundry left laying in the hall and was still there the following evening. The carpet was dirty, and there was a leak somewhere. A room down the hall had been damaged by the water. There was a huge fan sitting in the hallway with the room door open to dry it out, for two days. Another couple staying there told me that they had an electrical cord hanging outside their window which was exposed to the elements. There were so many children in the pool day and night, it was impossible to enjoy it. The elevator was old and rickety. There is no complimentary continental breakfast, or coffee. There is a small grill in the basement open for breakfast, but the food is mediocre and too expensive for what you get. Whenever the desk staff/owner was told about any of these situations, he basically said there's nothing that he could do. He made no effort to correct issues, or to compensate anyone for their inconvenience. If you have a choice, do not stay there or recommend it to anyone else. It is too run down, and the owners obviously do not care as long as they get your money.

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 10 January 2005

It was nothing fancy and the bathroom was dingy. The only thing that we liked was the indoor pool. I probally would not stay there again!

4  Thank bigorange1103
Cincinnati, OH
Reviewed 11 October 2004

My husband and I stayed at the Sidney James because we were in town for a wedding in October. I had stayed at the motel with my family about 15 years prior and remembered it as being nice. Unfortunately, in the room we booked, nothing had been updated in those 15 years and perhaps longer. The ceiling in the bathroom had a leak that had caused mold to grow all along the door frame and the floor. When we advised the management of this they seemed unsurprised and took no action. The room was supposed to be non smoking but when we opened the door we were greeted with a stench of stale cigarettes and mildew. We would not stay here again for any reason, or at any discount. We only stayed one night, although we paid for two, and drove 5 hours after the wedding on Saturday just so we would not have to spend more time at this motel.

• Stayed: October 2004