“Check your room before you pay! They don't care.”

Sidney James Mountain Lodge
Ranked #53 of 78 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Reviewed 19 July 2007

We saw good reviews, so made phone reservation for within 10 days' stay. We arrived, paid up front as we usually do, but our trip to the room showed dingy dark hallways, marginally clean overall, pool chlorine smell very strong, even away and up a floor, and a view of the parking lot and construction across the road. We decided not to stay, and went directly downstairs and told them why. We have never done this before and have traveled alot over many years. They said they had no other rooms, but only credited us one night and have fought the other night. Capital One has been with dispute for 4 months...but the clerk said, it doesn't matter, we always win... meaning they were going to get money from us no matter what and they really didn't care if we were satisfied or not. We were not belligerant or anything else. Sidney James staff was very rude and did not care. We found another place we had stayed before within 30 mins fortunately and had a wonderful stay there. We like to try different places since we visit Gatlingburg frequently. Take it from us....there are too many places there to waste your time or money with Sidney James Mountain Lodge!

Stayed: March 2007
2  Thank stlstndg

Reviewed 25 June 2007

My husband and I love to stay here; last year we made the mistake of trying somewhere different and was sooo sorry we did. We love Gatlinburg and try to go every year, we never again will stay anywhere else; yes it could use some updateing however we like staying in a creekside king balcony. We love to sleep with the door open and listen to the creek at night. I have a disability and the staff was truely helpful in my needs. We too enjoy the indoor pool; you don't have to be a child or have children to enjoy the Sidney James Hotel. Give it a try...the hotel is clean and the staff is friendly and accomadating, the walk downtown is really good exercise. We are Harley riders and one year we brought our then Sportster in the back of our Ford and the staff was extreamly helpful in helping us to get it unloaded.

Stayed: July 2005
2  Thank harleyenthusist
Reviewed 6 June 2007

2 words that don't go together in Gatlinburg are good and cheap but the Sydney James comes close. While it is somewhat dated, it is clean and the staff was nice. Our daughter especially enjoyed the indoor pool and the Cafe served excellant food. It's a good value.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled with family
2  Thank 600racer
Reviewed 27 May 2007

Well, the brochure pictures this much better than I thought. The first room the put me and my husband and kids in was not quite up to my standards. It was kind of creepy. The walls were cement and the room was dirty. No decor at all and it smelled of smoke. I requested a refund to go stay somewhere else and they wouldn't refund my first night just the two others. But they offered me the chance to check out two other rooms. These rooms where not too much better but better enough that I just decided to stay because I did not want to lose my money. The rooms where outdated with decor. Rips in the wallpaper. The tub looked dirty. I did not feel clean here. The woodwork was all beat up. Holes in the linens. It looked as if they did not clean the mirror in the bathroom because when I showered I could read "Get" on the mirror. Who knows what else it said. The creekside view was nice. And the pool was nice. Location was good too. But for the money stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled with family
2  Thank Hartman02
Reviewed 21 May 2007

The hotel is good for the price and the location right off the strip. We have stayed here twice because our son loves the indoor pool and jacuzzi. This last time, we had a better and bigger room, so just make sure when you book it you tell them what you want. TIP: Bring extra pillows!! Their pillows were flat as pancakes and when we asked for extras, the desk told us they were too busy to get some. Whatever that means. But got a extra night free, can't beat that. Room was clean. Creekside was pretty to view and son had fun climbing rocks in creek.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled with family
1  Thank Wifee
Reviewed 20 May 2007

We spent a weekend at the Sidney James recently and loved it! We actually reserved our "king club level room" on the internet before the weekend but when we checked in our rate was quite a bit lower, which was a pleasant surprise. Our room was an excellent size and set up nicely. The only problem was the bed was a little too firm for my liking.

The best part of the hotel was the pool HANDS DOWN. There were lots of people in the afternoon time but the later it got the more it cleared out. If you stay on the inside entrance of pool you are also given after hour privileges which was pretty cool. My boyfriend and I were the only ones in the pool and hot tub after “closing time”.

The restaurant is ok but service was lacking and food a little overpriced. Breakfast bar didn’t have many items to choose from at all.

The staff at the hotel was very warm and friendly. They truly went out of their way to make us feel comfortable. There is no question that we will be back soon!!

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled as a couple
3  Thank EFAB2006
Reviewed 15 April 2007

We stayed here for 6 nights. We have stayed here once before and it wasn't bad. This time we got a jacuzzi room thought it would be even nicer. Wrong. The first room they put Us in we had to ask to be moved. That room had no windows and was really creepy. We got a really bad feeling in this room. I went back to the desk and the gentleman was very nice and placed US in another jacuzzi room. It was better but I still have a dirty feeling. The carpet and furniture was really dirty and stained. The house keeping did a good job about making sure the bathroom and jacuzzi was clean. But I couldn't sleep with the blankets on me becuase I had a really yucky feeling. My boyfriend felt the same. It was one step above a dive. Next time we will be staying somewhere else. But I would like to say that the employees there were very helpful and nice. Also on the website it says that they have WiFi. Well you can only get WiFi in the lobby or buy it from the Gatlinburg Town Square hotel.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled as a couple