“Disappointed in the Sydney James”

Sidney James Mountain Lodge
Ranked #54 of 78 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Reviewed 28 August 2007

We stayed on the creek side of the hotel, and the room was rather small but decent. We requested no room service but exchanged towels with the maid after two nights. The maid was cleaning next door to our room and watched us drive away for the day. When we returned, my makeup was missing. I reported it to the office, and the young man in there told me I would need to report it to another gentleman later. When I went to report it to the other gentleman, he told me in no uncertain terms that his cleaning ladies had not been in my room and that he did not appreciate my accusing them. I told him that someone had been in there, and he said he could call the police if I wanted to accuse them. I immediately told him to call the police, and his demeanor quickly changed. However, I insisted that he call the police so that I could make a report. Needless to say, this made for a very unpleasant stay. I warned a number of people to watch their belongings. Also, we were in a non-smoking room, but the cigarette smoke kept coming into our room from somewhere. I certainly would not stay at this hotel again.

Stayed: August 2007
1  Thank theholts37075

Reviewed 24 August 2007

After trying several ways to book this I just called and got everything I needed and a fair price. The guy I talked to was pleasant and helpful. When I told him I wanted creek side, no smoking he set me up in a specific room. The mattress was great, but a little trouble with the standard sheets on a thicker mattress. The view was not what one would hope for but room 401 was the best choice. Needs a little attention by maintenance but the A/C was Cold! Sitting on the balcony to listen to the creek didn't work. All the ambient noise from other units, hotels, and traffic drowned out the sounds of nature. It was a little far from the action and traveling the main street on foot to the hotel exposed us to numerous sidewalk condo salesmen. Did I say anything about the heat and the drought. The creeks are all low. Negotiate your best deal if you just want a place to crash without internet connectivity. You can do wireless from a hotel three buildings down the hill for 7.95 per day (the price must be why their signal was so strong). The staff was friendly; front desk and housekeeping. The cafe was never staffed the three times I went by there. Would I stay there again? Probably not but I didn't like the crowds. Try to visit at a time when as many schools are in session as possible.

I wish I had taken photos of the room as 401 is not typical. Vaulted ceiling, bay window seating, ceiling fan. The bathroom was small.

Plan on doing a lot of walking as driving and parking is not a real good option. There is a trolly system that we did not use but seemed to run frequently. But what am I to say, since I saw people 20 years older walking with a cane and seeming to do things that were difficult for me.

Stayed: August 2007
Reviewed 6 August 2007

We were pleasently suprised with our recent 3 night stay at the Sidney James. When you book you should have the option of choosing creekside our courtside. We chose the courtside (which was about $10 cheaper). The courtside is actually located across the street from the hotel. It almost looks like at one time it used to be another hotel and it was bought out by the Sidney James. The room was very clean and didnot have that strange musty hotel smell that alot seem to have. Everything in the room was updated except for the furniture and tv which was especially dated.

The hotel has an indoor and outdoor pool as well as a hot tub. While we did not visit the outdoor pool we did the indoor pool which was a lot of fun. The hot tub was also nice until we noticed some frothy green stuff floating around in the bubbles. The kids really liked the tunnel/grotto in the pool. The pool areas were both very clean and not overrun with other guests.

On our last day there the staff moved us to a creekside room. The view from the balcony over the creek was very nice and the room was also again very clean. The bathroom was a little more updated than the courtside one. But we actually preferred the courtside hotel better for the simple fact that the beds were way more comfortable.

The hotel is located slightly away from the main strip. It is on a trolley route although most times we went to town we walked. Its not a bad walk because its all downhill, its only when you are ready to go back that the uphill climb seems so long. Also getting to the hotel be prepared to sit in traffic as it is pretty much more than 1/2way through town before you get to the light to turn.

One of the nicest things about our stay had to be the front desk. They were very nice and friendly and seemed very genuine when dealing with each and every desk. Our favorite was Joe. If we were to visit again we would definately stay at the Sidney James.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family
5  Thank Georgiagirly1977
Reviewed 21 July 2007

My wife and I stayed 3 nights at motel in creekside double. Room was clean. Cleaned daily. Fresh towels and coffee. Refrigerator worked well and fresh coffee packet brought to room daily. Porch small but nice. Large outdoor pool. Heated pool indoors smaller but nice. Hot tub was refreshing. Plenty of clean towels available at pool. Did not eat at motel but at Log Cabin Pancake House .25 miles down street. Motel is .5 miles from main street Gatlinburg. Had no problems and management was friendly at check-in and checkout. It is not a new motel, but it was a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank panther1Powell_TN
Reviewed 19 July 2007

We saw good reviews, so made phone reservation for within 10 days' stay. We arrived, paid up front as we usually do, but our trip to the room showed dingy dark hallways, marginally clean overall, pool chlorine smell very strong, even away and up a floor, and a view of the parking lot and construction across the road. We decided not to stay, and went directly downstairs and told them why. We have never done this before and have traveled alot over many years. They said they had no other rooms, but only credited us one night and have fought the other night. Capital One has been with dispute for 4 months...but the clerk said, it doesn't matter, we always win... meaning they were going to get money from us no matter what and they really didn't care if we were satisfied or not. We were not belligerant or anything else. Sidney James staff was very rude and did not care. We found another place we had stayed before within 30 mins fortunately and had a wonderful stay there. We like to try different places since we visit Gatlingburg frequently. Take it from us....there are too many places there to waste your time or money with Sidney James Mountain Lodge!

Stayed: March 2007
2  Thank stlstndg
Reviewed 25 June 2007

My husband and I love to stay here; last year we made the mistake of trying somewhere different and was sooo sorry we did. We love Gatlinburg and try to go every year, we never again will stay anywhere else; yes it could use some updateing however we like staying in a creekside king balcony. We love to sleep with the door open and listen to the creek at night. I have a disability and the staff was truely helpful in my needs. We too enjoy the indoor pool; you don't have to be a child or have children to enjoy the Sidney James Hotel. Give it a try...the hotel is clean and the staff is friendly and accomadating, the walk downtown is really good exercise. We are Harley riders and one year we brought our then Sportster in the back of our Ford and the staff was extreamly helpful in helping us to get it unloaded.

Stayed: July 2005
2  Thank harleyenthusist
Reviewed 6 June 2007

2 words that don't go together in Gatlinburg are good and cheap but the Sydney James comes close. While it is somewhat dated, it is clean and the staff was nice. Our daughter especially enjoyed the indoor pool and the Cafe served excellant food. It's a good value.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank 600racer