“A true downtown Gem”

Ranked #27 of 77 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Southeast Kentucky
“A true downtown Gem”
Reviewed 7 January 2012

My wife and I stayed two nights here for a short romantic getaway. Based upon the good reviews, we chose the Mountain House. I don't think we'll ever stay anywhere else in Gatlinburg now that we've found this place. It is a real gem! The staff are so nice, polite, and helpful. The property is located just a short walk from the main drag. When we called and reserved the room, we told the clerk we would be a late arrival. When we arrived later that night, the clerk informed us that he had went and turned the heat on in our room for us. When we walked in the room it was indeed nice and cozy and it really made us feel welcome. Such a nice personal touch. The first thing we always do is inspect the room for cleanliness. The bed, drawers, furniture, corners, and bathroom all passed our inspection. The entire room was exceptionally clean. The main area of the room is quite large. There is also a smaller area off to the side that has the sink, microwave, mini fridge, and a small counter. The bathroom, however, is quite small with just a commode and tub/shower. Several reviews mentioned the low shower head and it is on the low side. It's not that bad, though, and the great water pressure makes up for any shortcomings in height. I'm six foot tall and I did have to bend over a bit to wash my hair, but it wasn't much trouble. Our room was on the corner and we had our own balcony. The room also had plenty of windows and that helped give it a roomy feel. The hotel is an older property, as many downtown locations are, but it is very well maintained. The carpet was very clean and in good shape. The wallpaper looked new and the room had a nice border. The furniture was all in good repair. Wireless internet was easy to connect to with good speed. The bed was a bit on the firm side but comfortable. The pillows were a little flat for my taste, but I doubled them up and slept fine. When we come back, I'll probably bring my own pillows because I'm used to them, but that is a personal choice and not a shortcoming of the hotel. Overall, this was one of the nicest, coziest rooms we've had in quite awhile. If you are expecting the Hilton, you might be disappointed, but if you want a clean, cozy, comfortable place to stay near downtown, this is the place. It is also locally and American owned, and you can tell the owners really take pride in this property.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank NomadicNonbelievers

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
McMinnville, Tennessee
Reviewed 26 November 2011

My family have stayed at this hotel for over 20 years. We come to the Smokies several times a year. This is a wonderful place to stay and so convenient to anything thing you want. We love to hike and tour the mountains then come back at night to walk downtown and see all the sites. Our rooms are always very clean and we have stayed in the apartment several times and it is always very nice. We were there two years ago and the refrig went out the night we got there and we lost some of our food. They immediately brought a new refrig and installed it and reimbursed us for our loss. They have had some problems with there cleaning people in the last couple of years but have now corrected that problem also. Could not ask for friendlier staff and we appreciate the fact they are good Christian people. The wifi is great, have never had any problem with it. If you're looking for a clean, friendly, reasonable, convenient but not fancy place to stay, this is it.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Meemaw12
Spartanburg, South Carolina
Reviewed 31 October 2011

Great location and great room for the price.Close to everything in Gatlinburg but still off the main street

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank Budman2240
Renfrew, Canada
Reviewed 17 October 2011

Located just a short walk from main street this motel features fridges and micros in each room. Staff is friendly and restaurants abound close by. Coffee only is offered each morning and rooms are clean with 2 pools on site. Wifi is good and the gateway to Great Smokey Mountain National Park is at the edge of town. Plenty of activity between Gatlinburg & Pigeon Forge to keep adults and kids entertained. Bed was comfortable but shower head was very low. Too low. Picnic areas are provided and there is amble parking Corridors are outside with chairs at each room. Place was busy on Columbus Day but to be expected in an area such as this.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank cleoder
Eastview, Kentucky, United States
Reviewed 14 October 2011

For the past 14 years my family has gone to Gatlinburg, and always stayed here......This year we were treated like 'A BURDEN' to them. I had reserved a room, and was going to be arriving later than the office would be open, so I called to find out where my key was, only to kind out that they had given my room away!! They left me a key to another room......a SMOKING room for my family of NONSMOKERS, no cot for my extra occupant, who had to sleep on the floor......3 towels, and 1 washcloth for 5 people, a coffee machine with coffee, but NO COFFEE POT! Then when asking for directions the office staff quoted this 'What ever the map says'......IF I HAD A MAP I WOULDN'T HAVE ASKED FOR DIRECTIONS!!!! Then after we checked out, and got 3 hours away, we remembered that we left something in the room, called, and were told to 'call back tomorrow', then when I phoned the next day, they took a message....supposedly they found my item, called me and got my address, and said that they would mail it to me........Almost 2 weeks later....NO PACKAGE, and when I call I get the run around saying that they are 'REALLY BUSY'..........Well, next time, I'll find another place to stay with FRIENDLIER STAFF!!!!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
8 Thank Kristi M
Satsuma. Al
Reviewed 20 September 2011

My husband and I go Gatlinburg just about every year. Usually in October, for the color of course, but last year and this year we will be there in December. We always stay at the Mountain House Inn. We have never had a complaint. We are in the room only long enough to sleep and love being able to walk the strip every night and walk to the so much of the sight seeing instead of having to drive. As mentioned so many times before, you could never find a more friendly staff if you searched the whole world over.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LaTrecia C
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 15 September 2011

The hotel was quiet and average for the room. At least it was clean...nothing fancy. The shower was set up for a migit, so that was interesting. When we first arrived the room was very warm but once the AC was turned up it cooled down.

One of the pools was out of order and looked horrible. Other than that no major complaints.

Room Tip: As for the king size bed upstairs over looking the pool and the stream so they call it.