“Good budget Hotel”

Ranked #62 of 78 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Alpharetta, Georgia
“Good budget Hotel”
Reviewed 8 April 2012

This is a good budget hotel. The rooms are clean and the staff is friendly. The biggest advantage is that the hotel is just off the parkway so all the attractions in Gatlinburg are just a walk away.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed 7 April 2012

Just looking for a place to crash for a night after hitting up the Gatlinburg strip? Don't want to spend much money? Well that was the case for us! This is an older and out of date hotel, but it was cheap and faily clean. The room was small, so I wouldn't suggest this for a long trip. A one night stay was perfect for us. It's about a blocks walk from the center of Gatlinburgs strip, so it's a great location. I felt very safe in this area and all the workers were friendly! The rooms also had a fridge and free WiFi.
Again, this was great for a place to rest your head for the night an nothing else. Just keep that in mind and keep in mind, you get what you pay for! I spent less then $50 for the night and I don't feel I could have found a better place for the money!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank fairchild84
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed 4 April 2012

Pros: location, bathrooms pretty clean except for hair

Cons: very strong stale smoke odor everywhere in motel; nasty looking furniture in room...would not sit on it; nasty carpet...would not walk on with bare feet; extra sheets and blankets for suite were very dingy & stained...would not use.

Could not wait to leave this place.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Beavercreek, Ohio
Reviewed 30 March 2012

I was kind of scared based on the reviews that I have read about the hotel. With the price so low, it was hard not to give the hotel a try. I booked online but I called a few days before hand to confirm my reservation. A guy answered the phone and he was kind of rude. I guess people don't call to confirm reservations anymore. When we arrived, they let us check in early. The lady at the desk was very nice. She gave us a room on the third floor away at the end of the hallway. She said she did it because it would be quiet for the baby but I am sure it was so no guests would call in the middle of the night complaining about a crying baby. When we got to the room, the room is small but there was plenty of space for our playpen and an twin sized airbed if needed. The sheets were super clean and the bathroom was clean. Yes, somethings need to be remodeled but the hotel was all that we needed. My son was excited about the window seat and slept on it and watched tv the whole time.

Its nothing fancy. We didnt try the breakfast. There is no pool. We just needed a place to sleep and easy to get to when we needed a break or to fill up on baby items. There is also an elevator on the outside so you can easily get to it from your car. Probably not the safest set up for night but it was convenient for us when we were out and about & to pack up our stuff and take it to the car.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed 25 March 2012

We travel to the Gatlinburg/Smokies area a few times every year, since it's only about a 3.5hr drive for us. We have stayed at the Microtel in Gatlinburg a total of 3 times over the past couple of years. The location of this hotel is just about as good as you can get in Gatlinburg -- it is literally steps from the CENTER of the Parkway, which pretty much makes almost all of the major attractions and restaurants within close walking distance. That is the main reason that we have come back to this same location a few times - we like to be so close to the "touristy" area. The hotel also has free parking, which just adds to the convenience.
However, we have noticed that this hotel is in FAST decline. The first two times that we stayed here, we really had no complaints. The beds were comfortable, the breakfast good, and was just generally a clean, comfortable place to sleep and stay.
However, this time around was a completely different situation. Immediately upon checking into our room, we were greeted with a cloud of disgusting smoke in our room. We immediately opened the window to air out the room with some fresh mountain air. Because it was late (around 1:00am), we didn't request a room change at that time. We were just so exhausted that we immediately went to bed. Of note, the room was filthy -- the carpet was obviously soiled there were old hairs all over the pillowcases (did they wash the sheets after the previous guests??) and the bathroom had several cigarette burns noted throughout. It was just in awful condition.
The next morning, I literally woke up to an asthma attack. Obviously this must also be a "pet room" because I am allergic to cats and dogs, and was in a full-blown allergy attack that morning. Thankfully I had my inhaler on hand. Between the stench of old cigarettes and the leftover pet dander in the room, I knew I was going to need a room change.
We walked down to the front desk and breakfast area. I immediately went to the receptionist to explain my situation and request a room change. She abruptly informed me that if I wanted a room change it would be a considerable price difference because I had booked and prepaid through Hotels.com. It was almost as if they intentionally gave me a bad room because I didn't book through them and were going to upcharge me considerably to get an acceptable room. I am not much for arguing, so I just looked the receptionist in the eye and said "Well, I just want you to know that I am VERY unhappy about this" and walked away. I could have stood there and demanded to speak to the manager, but I just dropped it. I didn't want to let this ruin my trip. I just resigned myself to knowing that I would be in the room as little as possible... so we pretty much just used the room to sleep in. I needed as much time out of that allergenic smokehouse as possible. Thank goodness there was a window that would open and I had my inhaler available.
We also noticed that the breakfast is not as good as it used to be as well. That's not a deal-breaker for me, though, because I am appreciative to be able and grab a complementary bagel and banana in the morning. But both my husband and I agreed that the breakfast used to be much better.
All in all, we probably won't be staying here any more. It was just such a poor experience (and unhealthy!!!) that we just can't bring ourselves back to this place, even if it has perhaps one of the best locations in town. It was very disappointing. VERY disappointing.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Lenoir, North Carolina
Reviewed 17 March 2012

This hotel is in a great location, it was very clean. Not fancy but newly updated. Close to all the fun Gatlinburg activities. Room was not large but big enough for what we intended to use it for. Free breakfast in the morning was light but ok.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 March 2012

Don't change rooms. They charged me $20 and I didn't know until I got my credit card bill!

• Stayed March 2012