“Cockroaches not invited to vacation with me!”

Bluegreen Vacations Mountain Loft Resort, Ascend Resort Collection
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 22 July 2013

My family and I was looking forward to a relaxing stay at this resort. We have been bluegreen club members for about 4 years and have been quite pleased with our other stays at different resorts. However, we were very disappointed with Mountain Loft.

When we arrived at our 2 bedroom townhouse, we noticed right away that our unit did not smell very fresh. Our friends who stayed in the unit near ours commented that their townhouse looked just like ours, only theirs smelled better. I noticed that the unit we checked into was very worn. The carpet had obviously been there a while because it was coming up in some places. There were holes in the drywall in the master bathroom near the shower. The bathroom cabinets were peeling at the bases and the wood was actually crumbling away at the base of the cabinets. All of those aspects were very disappointing to my husband and I seeing how we have forked out thousands of dollars for points and yearly fees. Yet, those are not the reasons for the 2 rating.
The first night that our family was at the resort, my children opened the master shower door to see what the shower looked like and found a cockroach in the shower. I was in the bathroom at the time and when they stood next to me startled, I looked in the shower expecting to see a black water bug. NOPE!!! They were correct. I saw a brown cockroach about the size of a quarter. Immediately I woke my husband up to kill it and was confirmed it was a cockroach by him and the fact that it moved extremely fast while it was trying to get away from my husband. As soon as he killed the roach, I called the front desk to tell them about the incident. They did offer to send someone right away to spray, however, it was very late and my husband wanted to wait until morning to deal with it. I immediately zipped up all of our suitcases and went to check the bedding in my children's room to be sure there were no signs of critters in their beds and then went to bed myself.
The next morning when I awoke, I called the front desk first thing and asked to speak to a manager. I spoke with Billy and told her about the situation and she asked me what I would like to have done. I told her that my family would feel most comfortable if we could be moved to a different unit, I also requested that the new unit be sprayed before we move to it, and I wanted to see it before making the final decision about moving. I also wanted it to be near our friends who were vacationing with us. Billy was EXTREMELY understanding and told me she would personally find another unit to move us to. She also told me that she would put her head housekeeper on the job of cleaning it.
So, we were moved into a 3 bedroom townhouse with a better view than what we started with. So that was nice. Also, it smelled much fresher than the other unit. However, it was still very worn and the cabinets still were peeling. There were also holes in the drywall in the new unit and the carpet was even worse than our original townhouse. The carpet in the new unit was stained up and the threshold in the bedroom with the twin beds was completely up except for the bottom portion which has the nail-like pieces sticking up out of the floor. My daughter sliced her heel on that part. Thankfully, I packed a first aide kit for our trip. However, the poor thing was in so much pain when she walked for the next couple of days she couldn't enjoy shopping in The Village or walking around anywhere to sight see. Looking back, I should have told the manager about that incident, too. Yet, I was so concerned about making sure my suitcases didn't have any roaches in them I didn't think about complaining about the floor. My daughter is healing up fine now.

I do want to say that all of the staff at the resort was very friendly and tried to help out with anything they could. What I saw at this resort was a great potential for a wonderful resort. With a little TLC and a lot of money from the Bluegreen corporation to renovate it, this resort could be top notch since the staff is so nice.
I would not visit this particular resort again until I learned that the entire resort has been renovated. When I return to the Smokies, I will choose to NOT use Bluegreen and just rent a cabin instead.

Room Tip: ask for them to send someone to spray your room before you take your luggage in it.
4  Thank Erika T

Reviewed 13 July 2013

This was our second visit to Mountain Loft-last was 4 yrs ago. We stayed in a two bedroom chalet, which was plenty of room for our family of 4. It had a full kitchen as well as washer/dryer and towels. The chalet itself looked a little tired-for example, the Jacuzzi tub had a slat missing in the paneling.

The resort has several pools and hot tubs (indoor and outdoor) as well as a small workout room and game room (although the only game my kids wanted to play-air hockey-was broken).

Overall, Mountain Loft is a nice resort in a great location that with a little effort could really be a first class vacation.

Reviewed 6 July 2013

This is our home away from home.My tripadvisor name is dubbed after Mountainloft because my girls call this place our treehouse. We always stay in the phase II villas and recommend the 2bdrm deluxe,although we do fine in a 1bdrm deluxe with our kids still being young. We love being so close to the entrance to the Smokies and having a great view. Wish the pool was a little more like Wi Dells pool and not such a small indoor pool, and also that there were gas grills like so many other BG resorts-that would make it 5 stars for me..We've stayed here over 20 times and always choose the villas, we don't love townhomes, but I know other BG owners from work who do.Once when our jeep broke down in the mountains a staff member gave us a ride!!! Now thats service! Security did once accuse us of partying loud d/t neighbor complaint when we stayed at townhome-really it was our three year olds woke up to play out of the blue at 430am, we left by 445 since our neighbors were intolerant after 2min of it, so we ended up in cades cove at dawn seeing several bears and a ton of deer! If you arent a fan of families with small kids, please remember, we need vacations too, maybe even moreso than you lol! We ALWAYS remove our kids from the area if they are too noisy as quickly as we can to be considerate of others, but we aren't magicians, we dont have mute buttons either!

Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank TreehouseTwins
Reviewed 6 July 2013

We stayed in phase two of MountainLoft and the unit was a little newer. It was a two bedroom combined, which meant there were two separate one bedroom units (each with full kitchens) with access to each side. My son, his wife and their two little girls and I stayed in the unit. We had plenty of room for the five of us. The VIEW from the patio area of the mountains was fantastic! It turned a three star experience into a four star!

We liked that it was not in downtown Gatlinburg, yet was close to the national park

The kids and I went to the pool every late afternoon or evening. That's a nice area with hot tubs and a sauna as well as both an indoor and outdoor pool.

Room Tip: The walls are thin, so a fifth floor end unit would be ideal (in Phase 2). They will be quieter, but...
Reviewed 4 July 2013

This is a really beautifull resort. We stayed in a 2 bedroom combined unit and loved having two washer dryers and 4 beds for our party. We had two kitchens, including two full sized fridges. We enjoyed being able to make breakast every morning and appreciated the convenience of having the grocery store less than five minutes away (and they have great prices too!). The unit was very clean. There are two pools (an outdoor and indoor/outdoor).

We liked the fact that it was not in downtown Gatlinburg, which can be very crowded, but was close enough for us to be in the downtown area and the national park in just a few minutes.

We understand that the resort will be renovated in the near future, so it will only be better. Would definitely return!

Reviewed 2 July 2013

Just got home from a FANTASTIC Gatlinburg trip. We stayed at the resort with family who has the timeshares with BlueGreen. We weren't sure what to expect, so couldn't really be disappointed. We had a 3 room townhouse. No, it is not modern. But yes, it is clean and had what we needed.

There are no maids that come in to clean while you are there, so keep that in mind. The kitchen is stocked with supplies that you would need--but you just need to buy food. I'd recommend bringing a portable grill too! Everything was working well for us. So, like I said, where you stay is NOT up to date, but feels cozy and was a great hub for us during our adventures.

The previous poster said it, only one functioning pool was a little strange. The clubhouse was nice.

It was nice to be "away" from downtown Gatlinburg, but close enough that going there isn't a hassle.

I would stay again, but I recommend definitely doing your research before coming so you have realistic expectations.

Room Tip: Chalets and the "condo" building had the best rooms. Our townhouse had a direct view of a...
Reviewed 29 June 2013

Compared to other BlueGreen Resorts, we were not impressed at all. They do not give you any information when you check in.

In the summer one of the pools was "closed for the season". Pools were very small for size of the resort and not well maintained. Pool towels were in short supply. Room towels are not delivered to your condo and the towel exchange is only open during inconvenient hours. Requesting towels is a hassle and takes a long time. Extra trash-bags were not provided and when requested we received only one. Had trouble with centipedes and ants.

Design of the kitchen in the chalet is awkward. The oven door cannot be fully opened due to the position of the fridge. The couch sinks when sitting on it making it uncomfortable. The beds sleep at incline with your feet above your head.

2  Thank Tracy B