“Fall break”

Hilton Garden Inn Gatlinburg Downtown
Ranked #4 of 78 Hotels in Gatlinburg
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 4 November 2013 via mobile

The hotel is nice. It is located in a great location. The staff was very friendly and courteous.
The room wasn't anything special and was way overpriced for a hotel with no view.
I probably will not stay there again due to the fact that if I'm going to pay a high price I expect to have a decent view.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank NoDozMemberDCS
Eric T, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Gatlinburg Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 11 November 2013

Hello NoDozMemberDCS, I'm gald to see that you had a decent time with us. We definitley wont to work on making sure that you have an outstanding time with us. I would like to make a recommendation for you that would take care of both the view and the overpricing issues you had with your stay. All of our balcony rooms will have a good view especially our King room with a whirlpool and fireplace, and during our off peak times you can find that particular room at a really good rate. I really do hope that you will give us a try again so that we can try and exceed your expectations. Thank you for choosing to stay with us and if there is ever any assistance that I can provide for you please on't hesiate to contact me.

Reviewed 3 November 2013

This hotel was a real mixed bag for me. It would have easily taken 5 stars had it not been for the cleaning issue (which I will address below) which was so bad I had to knock off major points. But first the good…I will say this hotel is in a great location located close to the park entrance and very convenient so you don’t have to drive through town in the traffic. You just pop right out at the entrance. It is also easy walking to the main drag and along a beautiful creek. It has ample parking and it saves you from parking in a pay lot or garage because you can just walk from the hotel to anything in town. The hotel is very modern and beautiful. My first impression when I walked in was one of relaxation and tranquility. The breakfast was very nice and although it is not free it’s a decent rate for what you get. They would make you anything to order which was nice and also had a good selection of pastries etc. Our room had a fireplace which was very nice and modern earthy décor. It is also an eco friendly hotel. The pool area looked very nice (indoor) and the jacuzzi was outside and very large and nice but could have used some real jets. (The ones they had were more or less just circulating water and not actually easing your tension). There was also a fire pit for a nice evening of gathering. I will also say that some of the employees there are TOP NOTCH. When I checked in I was greeted by one of the kindest most attentive people ever. I wish I remembered his name. He had dark hair and was so sweet. He acknowledged my request for a refrigerator (that I had made in my reservation online!...I am pretty sure no one ever in any hotel has ever done that) He then offered to keep things for us in their refrigerator until the room was ready and offered us a refresh on the ice in our cooler!! When we returned later for the keys he remembered our names! He even remembered us in the next few days and addressed us BY NAME each time! I don't think I have ever had that treatment in a chain hotel EVER. It was so refreshing. So why only a 3 star rating you ask?? Well in addition to the good stuff, I encountered what is possibly getting the award for the most filthy room EVER. (this is based only on sheer dirt and filth and not the appointment of the room which was very nice) I have never in ALL the hotels I have EVER stayed at (and I reviewed over 60 around the world) had to request cleaning supplies so I could clean MY OWN ROOM (so this was not a case of OCD). It was so bad that it appeared it had not been cleaned in MONTHS. So this wasn't just a sloppy one time deal. There was toothpaste globed on the faucet head, there were large chunks of icing all over the TV channel guide, what appeared to be sauce of some sort on the "green" card and someone used the other card for a coaster multiple times. There was also some sort of sticky whatever on the TV area. I took the cards to the front desk and asked for new ones and I felt bad asking for someone to come clean so I just asked for my own supplies. The desk attendant was VERY apologetic and said he would send someone up and told me it was unacceptable for me to clean my own room and he would have someone do it. When I returned to the room I started noticing cobwebs on the mantle and there was so much dust all over everything. There was literally nothing that was clean. Then I found the hairs in the bathroom and something sticky on the counter. I was so disgusted that my husband went to the hall and asked the maid if he could have cleaner and a rag and I ended up cleaning the whole room myself. Then they sent a guy up with a rag and no cleaner and at least one of the same cards I had sent down to the desk! (I recognized the distinct water marks from where it was used as a coaster). He didn't seem thrilled to be there at all and I was glad I had cleaned myself because I am not convinced he would have done a good job at all. I respect that part of this problem is Hilton's. When I was in the elevator a maid got in and told me that everyone was getting their "@$$es reamed" and rooms weren't ready etc. I did not initiate this conversation except to smile at her. I was sort of taken back that someone would be so irate at the working conditions that they would vent it to a hotel guest. That to me, says that there are major issues at that hotel in that department. It appeared as well that the staff was being overworked. She told me she herself had already cleaned 23 rooms that day. I am not really sure how that works but to me that seems like a lot of rooms for one person in such a short period of time. And for the elevator door to open into what appeared to be the maid's gathering area and actually see that people were indeed being "reamed" was not terribly professional behavior from any hotel or what was obviously management of some sort. This seems to be an issue that the hotel needs to deal with. You need to staff appropriately so that the rooms get the attention they need. You also need proper training and apparently someone to CHECK the rooms AFTER they have been "cleaned" to make sure that the standards you have set are being honored BEFORE the guest arrives. I have NEVER stayed at ANY hotel that has the modern class, elegance and amenities that this hotel had yet was so downright filthy in the room. And I can assure you this was not an isolated incident because the room didn't appear to have possibly EVER been cleaned correctly. I would partly fault the maid for this as she has EYES and can see the room was not clean and as well as the possible training and subsequent supervision that was lacking from the Hilton chain due to the fact that I am quite sure the same maid doesn't clean that room everyday and for no one to catch it along the way makes me question the conditions the maids are being forced to work under. I suspect they are being asked to clean too many rooms, too quickly and there are no quality standards in place which is a shame for a Hilton. I think maybe there should be less “reaming” and more team work. I don’t think you necessarily motivate employees by yelling. Possibly this hotel needs to take a good hard look at what the real problems are and figure out how to fix them for the benefit of the guests. Happy employees make happy guests because they resonate that in how they do their jobs. It was clear to me that certain departments such as the front desk seemed to be hitting above the line while the cleaning services are clearly well BELOW the line of any acceptable standard. I would also say on the subject of things that could use upgraded...the beds. They have some sort of generic sleep number bed which basically lets air out to make it softer somehow but it was awkward and took forever to find the dial and even then I didn't see much of an adjustment. The sheets also did not fit the bed at all and kept sliding off. I would expect a nice hotel like a Hilton to have more upgraded linens and certainly ones that fit the beds. It made the beds feel cheap all around that is something that is a real turn off for me in a hotel. I would like to think some of these issues could be rectified and would probably give this hotel another shot if I was in town just for the kind front desk staff alone.

5  Thank HollyA

Hello HollyA, thank you for such a well thought out review of your stay. I do hate that, what seemed to be set up for a great reveiw by Alton was negated by our housekeeping issues. I'm so sorry that you had to experience that. I promise you that we will take this opportunity to learn and grow from our mistakes so that the next time you stay with us you will have the best vacation experience possible. Thank you so much for chossing to stay with us and if there is ever any assistance that I can provide for you please dont' hesitate to contact me.

Reviewed 2 November 2013

We visited the Smokies the 26th-30th of October. We stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn on River Road. The room was large and very clean. I'm a clean nut and more important than any amenity, view or anything else is the cleanliness of the room. The bed was clean and linens crisp. They only change the bedding every third day unless you leave the card requesting it more frequently on the bed. You can have the linens changed daily if you wish. The sheets we a little too small for the bed and seemed to slip off quite a bit which was annoying. The bathroom was well stocked with Neutrogena bath products. There was a regular sized hair dryer as well. The only downside to the bath was there is no exhaust fan so the mirror steams up. Our room had a fireplace, mini fridge, microwave and Keurig coffee maker. They leave two coffee and one tea daily. We have stayed here before and that room had a FP, hot tub, &balcony. The lobby is nice with a double sided fireplace with a nice seating area. There is an indoor pool, hot tub and a fire pit. There is also a restaurant on site. We did not eat there. The lobby has a "pantry" where you can get snacks, sodas, hygiene items and microwaveable meals...be careful though...they wanted $3+ for a bag of M&Ms! We enjoy this Hilton very much! Would definitely recommend!

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Saved316
Eric T, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Gatlinburg Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 10 November 2013

Hello Saved316, I'm glad to see that you enjoyed your stay with us. That you would "definitely reccommend" us lets me know that we did our jobs here and I hope that you will continue to come back and visit with us on what we hope will be many more trips back to Gatlinburg. Thank you for choosing to stay with us and post your review. If there is ever any assistance that I can provide please don't hesitate to contact me.

Reviewed 1 November 2013

On a fall trip to visit Great Smoky Mountains National Park, we chose the Hilton Garden Inn as our base while in Gatlinburg. We chose the hotel as it was newer than many of the other hotels in Gatlinburg so we hoped it would be clean and not run down. We also read that traffic and parking could be pretty intense (it is!!), so wanted to be close to the parkway but not right on it. We made our reservation online so that was super easy. Hotel staff called US a week in advance of our arrival to see if there was anything they could do to make our stay nicer. Huge kudos to them for this customer service touch and they actually honored the request I made on the phone for a high floor room with a view!! We arrived early on check-in day to secure a parking spot in the Hilton lot and hit the parkway for dinner. The lobby is pretty. Eric checked us in and was friendly and informative. Our room had everything we needed and was clean, just very standard - nothing extraordinary. The bed was so-so, a little squishy on top. The location is great - easy access to everything but slightly off the beaten path and across from the river. We slept well as it was quiet in the area at night. The bar was not open when we wanted it the first day and on the second day, one customer had the bartender so tied up in conversation that he never came to wait on us so we left. We used the spa and were disappointed. The water was super hot (too hot for me) and the jets were non-existent. I know it's an LEED hotel but I wanted some water movement! Another water and LEED note is the dribble they call a shower. It was fine - it's just a shower but, I bet I'd be cold taking a shower in the winter months as the water flow was quite weak. I wonder how many rooms they have and how many parking spots they have. We got there early, parked, and never moved the car until check-out. Worked for us and I would recommend it for others. But, get there early or you might be parking out along River Road. The street was lined with cars nightly. All in all, it was a nice, comfortable hotel stay. Nothing to rave about but nothing serious to complain about. I do think it's a little pricey for what you get and would encourage them to add breakfast for guests as part of the room price. We never ate at the hotel but the cookies in the evening are tasty.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Hello MidwestMumbi, thank you for taking the time to review your stay wtih us. I'm pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay for the most part. What I don't like to see is that we didn't give you anything to "rave" about our hotel. It truly is the number one goal of our staff to make sure that you have the best vacation experience possible. I hope that you will come back and visit us again so that we can continue to try and give you the vacation experience you deserve. On a side note, thank you for taking the time to mention my name. I'm so humbled that you would think of me enough to put my name on your reveiw. Ths means more to me that you can possibly imagine. Thank you again and if I can ever be of any assistance please don't hesitate to contact me.

Reviewed 1 November 2013

Perfect location for enjoying Gatlinburg, TN. Conveniently located to walk to all the great shops and restaurants. Free parking (which can be a premium during the evenings and weekends). Short drive to the Sugarlands GSM Park entrance. Fabulous fireplace in the lobby for enjoying a warm drink on a cool night! WE WILL BE BACK!!

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Susan B, thank you for choosing to stay with us and posting your review. I'm glad to see that you enjoyed your stay wtih us. I love the emphatic "we will be back". This tells me that we did everything right by you and your family and I hope that we continue hosting you and your family for what we hope will be many more trips back to Gatlinburg.

Reviewed 31 October 2013 via mobile

My husband and I picked HGI based on previous reviews, and we were not disappointed! The staff is great! Tony was very attentive to our needs and did all in his power to make our stay enjoyable. The rooms are very clean and comfortable, and we really enjoyed hanging out by the fireplace and meeting some new friends. The breakfast was out of this world! We will be returning!!

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Anne W

Hi there Anne W, thank you for choosing to stay with us and taking the time to reivew your stay with us. I'm glad that we were able to assist in making your memories wonderful as well as your stay. After all isn't that what vacations are about? I'm happy to see that Tony made such a great impression on you all that you made it a point to mention him by name. I know that he is just as excited as I am to see his name on comments. Tony does a great job with taking care of our guest and providing a level of customer service that you can't get just anywhere. Thank you again and if there is ever any assistance that I can provide, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Reviewed 31 October 2013

We loved our extended weekend at the HIlton Garden Inn. It was our first stay here after about 40 years of staying at another place in Gatlinburg. This is a breath of fresh air. The room was large, clean, comfortable and we loved the fireplace and whirlpool in the room. The breakfast options were wonderful, staff was very friendly and the chefs were quick to provide what we ordered at the buffet. Teh common area had a fire pit, hot tub, and lobby had a beautiful 2 sided fireplace that you could enjoy while reading or just relaxing. The only problem we had was the shower head was a little more than a slow stream the first day. We reported the problem (not expecting anything to be done) and were surprised to find that the problem was corrected immediately! What a change from the norm! Great service! The only negative I would say is the location is a little inconvient to the parkway. You had to go through a parking garage to get there. Not bad though. If this is the only negative I have then I'll Take IT! We HIGHLY recommend this hotel!

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Hello Sandra J, wow! Thank you so much for your great comments. I'm so happy that you had a great time wtih us and that you were able to see, first hand, how our staff strives to exceed your expectations day in and day out. We always want to make sure that if you are not 100% satisfied with any aspect of your stay, no matter how big or how small, that we take care of you as our valued guest. Thank you so much for choosing to stay with us and if there is ever any assistance that I can provide please don't hesitate to contact me.