“Great Night”

Hilton Garden Inn Gatlinburg Downtown
Ranked #4 of 77 Hotels in Gatlinburg
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 7 November 2013

Stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn on River Road in Gatlinburg and had a great stay, Very Clean and staff was very courteous, Breakfast was fantastic. We were a walkin and got a great deal. Thanks Hilton

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Eric T, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Gatlinburg Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2013

Hello Darrin S, thank you for choosing to stay wtih us. I'm so glad to see that you had a great night with us. I always like to see comments about the staff being courteous and helpful. We strive, daily, to exceed your expectations and I hope that you were able to leave feeling just that. Thank you again and if there is ever any assistance that I can provide, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Assistant General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,974)

Reviewed 6 November 2013

I will try to make a long story short...Tried putting us in first floor room next to elevator and door to out in parking lot. Desk clerk seemed put out that I ask if possible to get better location. We did get room on second floor with view of the first floor rooftop. I was even OK with that but then realized bed was not sleep number then worst of all black mold on one end of tub and what looked like blood on wallpaper above sink. Dust was so thick around coffee pot area I wrote "please clean me" in it. Just looking at the bathroom floor it's been a long time since a really good cleaning. I hate to think of what is embedded in the carpet. I'm not a clean freak and don't go in places looking for problems but this was the in your face stuff you can't ignore. We did stay because everything was book elsewhere and we did not complain while there because front desk seemed like the very unconcerned type. I will soon be 60 my husband 65 he has health problems and he hates any kind of confrontation so it seemed easier to just stay rather than leave or complain. We did not let it ruin our trip there. It was great with many good places to eat within walking distance and the breakfast there was wonderful. There seems to be no customer service with Hilton. No response to e-mails. We are members of Hilton Honers but will no longer look first to their hotels because of points.

1  Thank mjb602013
Eric T, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Gatlinburg Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 10 November 2013

Thank you for reaching out to share feedback on your disappointing stay with us via TripAdvisor. Please know that your satisfaction is of the utmost importance to us, and we will be utilizing your comments as part of our ongoing training to provide exceptional guest experiences. I apologize for the mismanagement of the situation, and for the frustration you must be facing. We are dedicated to ensuring your satisfaction, and hope you will give us another opportunity to show you the quality hospitality you deserve as a valued HHonors member.

Reviewed 6 November 2013

Great Hotel and service. Great location in the middle of town. Good parking and security. Was there on business but would bring my family here and will in the future. Hotel was very clean and staff was very helpful.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn
Eric T, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Gatlinburg Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 11 November 2013

Hello James D, thank you for choosing to stay with us during your business trip. It's never fun to come to a town like Gatlinburg and spend your whole time working so I sure do hope that you bring your family back this way and get to really enjoy this area and what it has to offer. Thank you again and if there is ever any assistance that I can provide please don't hesitate to contact me.

Reviewed 5 November 2013

For what we were doing, this location was great. It was just a short walk to the strip which was very convenient. The hotel was clean and I thought the fireplace was a nice touch. We did not have much of a view, but I was ok with that. However, the bed was very uncomfortable and that would prevent us from staying at this hotel in the future.

2  Thank Meekos7

Hello Meekos7, thank you for choosing to stay with us and posting your reivew. I'm glad that you had a good time with us overall. Sometimes our garden style sleep mattresses don't agree with some folks. For that I am very sorry, but i do want to assure you that we are in the process of changing out those mattress and going to Serta Perfect Sleeper mattresses. We also have other rooms on property that have already been changed out so whenever you make a reservation with us just ask for the room without the garden style sleep mattress. I hope this explanation will allow you to think about us the next time you visit Gatlinburg. Thank you again and if there is ever any assistance that I can provide for you please don't hesitate to contact me.

Reviewed 4 November 2013 via mobile

The hotel is nice. It is located in a great location. The staff was very friendly and courteous.
The room wasn't anything special and was way overpriced for a hotel with no view.
I probably will not stay there again due to the fact that if I'm going to pay a high price I expect to have a decent view.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank NoDozMemberDCS

Hello NoDozMemberDCS, I'm gald to see that you had a decent time with us. We definitley wont to work on making sure that you have an outstanding time with us. I would like to make a recommendation for you that would take care of both the view and the overpricing issues you had with your stay. All of our balcony rooms will have a good view especially our King room with a whirlpool and fireplace, and during our off peak times you can find that particular room at a really good rate. I really do hope that you will give us a try again so that we can try and exceed your expectations. Thank you for choosing to stay with us and if there is ever any assistance that I can provide for you please on't hesiate to contact me.

Reviewed 3 November 2013

This hotel was a real mixed bag for me. It would have easily taken 5 stars had it not been for the cleaning issue (which I will address below) which was so bad I had to knock off major points. But first the good…I will say this hotel is in a great location located close to the park entrance and very convenient so you don’t have to drive through town in the traffic. You just pop right out at the entrance. It is also easy walking to the main drag and along a beautiful creek. It has ample parking and it saves you from parking in a pay lot or garage because you can just walk from the hotel to anything in town. The hotel is very modern and beautiful. My first impression when I walked in was one of relaxation and tranquility. The breakfast was very nice and although it is not free it’s a decent rate for what you get. They would make you anything to order which was nice and also had a good selection of pastries etc. Our room had a fireplace which was very nice and modern earthy décor. It is also an eco friendly hotel. The pool area looked very nice (indoor) and the jacuzzi was outside and very large and nice but could have used some real jets. (The ones they had were more or less just circulating water and not actually easing your tension). There was also a fire pit for a nice evening of gathering. I will also say that some of the employees there are TOP NOTCH. When I checked in I was greeted by one of the kindest most attentive people ever. I wish I remembered his name. He had dark hair and was so sweet. He acknowledged my request for a refrigerator (that I had made in my reservation online!...I am pretty sure no one ever in any hotel has ever done that) He then offered to keep things for us in their refrigerator until the room was ready and offered us a refresh on the ice in our cooler!! When we returned later for the keys he remembered our names! He even remembered us in the next few days and addressed us BY NAME each time! I don't think I have ever had that treatment in a chain hotel EVER. It was so refreshing. So why only a 3 star rating you ask?? Well in addition to the good stuff, I encountered what is possibly getting the award for the most filthy room EVER. (this is based only on sheer dirt and filth and not the appointment of the room which was very nice) I have never in ALL the hotels I have EVER stayed at (and I reviewed over 60 around the world) had to request cleaning supplies so I could clean MY OWN ROOM (so this was not a case of OCD). It was so bad that it appeared it had not been cleaned in MONTHS. So this wasn't just a sloppy one time deal. There was toothpaste globed on the faucet head, there were large chunks of icing all over the TV channel guide, what appeared to be sauce of some sort on the "green" card and someone used the other card for a coaster multiple times. There was also some sort of sticky whatever on the TV area. I took the cards to the front desk and asked for new ones and I felt bad asking for someone to come clean so I just asked for my own supplies. The desk attendant was VERY apologetic and said he would send someone up and told me it was unacceptable for me to clean my own room and he would have someone do it. When I returned to the room I started noticing cobwebs on the mantle and there was so much dust all over everything. There was literally nothing that was clean. Then I found the hairs in the bathroom and something sticky on the counter. I was so disgusted that my husband went to the hall and asked the maid if he could have cleaner and a rag and I ended up cleaning the whole room myself. Then they sent a guy up with a rag and no cleaner and at least one of the same cards I had sent down to the desk! (I recognized the distinct water marks from where it was used as a coaster). He didn't seem thrilled to be there at all and I was glad I had cleaned myself because I am not convinced he would have done a good job at all. I respect that part of this problem is Hilton's. When I was in the elevator a maid got in and told me that everyone was getting their "@$$es reamed" and rooms weren't ready etc. I did not initiate this conversation except to smile at her. I was sort of taken back that someone would be so irate at the working conditions that they would vent it to a hotel guest. That to me, says that there are major issues at that hotel in that department. It appeared as well that the staff was being overworked. She told me she herself had already cleaned 23 rooms that day. I am not really sure how that works but to me that seems like a lot of rooms for one person in such a short period of time. And for the elevator door to open into what appeared to be the maid's gathering area and actually see that people were indeed being "reamed" was not terribly professional behavior from any hotel or what was obviously management of some sort. This seems to be an issue that the hotel needs to deal with. You need to staff appropriately so that the rooms get the attention they need. You also need proper training and apparently someone to CHECK the rooms AFTER they have been "cleaned" to make sure that the standards you have set are being honored BEFORE the guest arrives. I have NEVER stayed at ANY hotel that has the modern class, elegance and amenities that this hotel had yet was so downright filthy in the room. And I can assure you this was not an isolated incident because the room didn't appear to have possibly EVER been cleaned correctly. I would partly fault the maid for this as she has EYES and can see the room was not clean and as well as the possible training and subsequent supervision that was lacking from the Hilton chain due to the fact that I am quite sure the same maid doesn't clean that room everyday and for no one to catch it along the way makes me question the conditions the maids are being forced to work under. I suspect they are being asked to clean too many rooms, too quickly and there are no quality standards in place which is a shame for a Hilton. I think maybe there should be less “reaming” and more team work. I don’t think you necessarily motivate employees by yelling. Possibly this hotel needs to take a good hard look at what the real problems are and figure out how to fix them for the benefit of the guests. Happy employees make happy guests because they resonate that in how they do their jobs. It was clear to me that certain departments such as the front desk seemed to be hitting above the line while the cleaning services are clearly well BELOW the line of any acceptable standard. I would also say on the subject of things that could use upgraded...the beds. They have some sort of generic sleep number bed which basically lets air out to make it softer somehow but it was awkward and took forever to find the dial and even then I didn't see much of an adjustment. The sheets also did not fit the bed at all and kept sliding off. I would expect a nice hotel like a Hilton to have more upgraded linens and certainly ones that fit the beds. It made the beds feel cheap all around that is something that is a real turn off for me in a hotel. I would like to think some of these issues could be rectified and would probably give this hotel another shot if I was in town just for the kind front desk staff alone.

5  Thank HollyA

Hello HollyA, thank you for such a well thought out review of your stay. I do hate that, what seemed to be set up for a great reveiw by Alton was negated by our housekeeping issues. I'm so sorry that you had to experience that. I promise you that we will take this opportunity to learn and grow from our mistakes so that the next time you stay with us you will have the best vacation experience possible. Thank you so much for chossing to stay with us and if there is ever any assistance that I can provide for you please dont' hesitate to contact me.

Reviewed 2 November 2013

We visited the Smokies the 26th-30th of October. We stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn on River Road. The room was large and very clean. I'm a clean nut and more important than any amenity, view or anything else is the cleanliness of the room. The bed was clean and linens crisp. They only change the bedding every third day unless you leave the card requesting it more frequently on the bed. You can have the linens changed daily if you wish. The sheets we a little too small for the bed and seemed to slip off quite a bit which was annoying. The bathroom was well stocked with Neutrogena bath products. There was a regular sized hair dryer as well. The only downside to the bath was there is no exhaust fan so the mirror steams up. Our room had a fireplace, mini fridge, microwave and Keurig coffee maker. They leave two coffee and one tea daily. We have stayed here before and that room had a FP, hot tub, &balcony. The lobby is nice with a double sided fireplace with a nice seating area. There is an indoor pool, hot tub and a fire pit. There is also a restaurant on site. We did not eat there. The lobby has a "pantry" where you can get snacks, sodas, hygiene items and microwaveable meals...be careful though...they wanted $3+ for a bag of M&Ms! We enjoy this Hilton very much! Would definitely recommend!

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Saved316

Hello Saved316, I'm glad to see that you enjoyed your stay with us. That you would "definitely reccommend" us lets me know that we did our jobs here and I hope that you will continue to come back and visit with us on what we hope will be many more trips back to Gatlinburg. Thank you for choosing to stay with us and post your review. If there is ever any assistance that I can provide please don't hesitate to contact me.