“Hilton Garden is Tops in Gatlinburg”

Hilton Garden Inn Gatlinburg Downtown
Ranked #3 of 77 Hotels in Gatlinburg
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 15 November 2013

We stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn due to it being in walking proximity to the main district. The experience was unbelievable. The lobby to the rooms were spotless and the pool and whirlpool area were also very nice.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn
Eric T, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Gatlinburg Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 24 November 2013

Hello DDStovall, thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. I'm so glad to see that you think we are "Tops in Gatlinburg". We strive to exceed your expectations and I'm so pleased to see this comment come through. Thank you again and if there is ever any assistance that I can provide for you please don't hesitate to contact me.

Reviewed 14 November 2013

What a night! We got into the hotel late as planned (around 10:30pm) and had a horrible time finding a place to park. After driving thru the tight parking lot a few times we finally found the one spot that wasn't taken and barely squeezed into it. As we were going in we passed another couple that were complaining about the parking as well.
At least we were there though. We went in and were greeted politely after a few minutes wait as the receptionist was helping a guest figure out how to use his iPad. Check in was a breeze and we went up to our room which was on the second floor, not the upper floors I'd requested (and confirmed the night before) but I was so tired I didn't care at the time.
We went up and found out room and got all of our stuff stowed and turned on the fire place which was wonderful and warm. Took a look out the window, expecting to see the lovely mountains or the river from other reviews. Oh no, our window looked out right over the parking lot. Wow. What a disappointment for the $200 this room for one night cost!
I decided to have a nice shower before bed to loosen the kinks of the long drive. Unfortunately there was no water pressure at all. I've seen leaks with more pressure than that shower. It took forever to try and rinse my hair by using a cup to collect water (when it takes 2 minutes to fill a small tumbler under the shower head there's a problem!). At least it was wonderfully hot.

After that we settled down to bed, both of us being exhausted. That's when the worst part of our stay started. I chose this hotel specifically because of their Garden Sleep System® beds. I love those beds and slept like a baby at our recent stay at one of their Michigan hotels. I thought it was worth the extra money for a good night's sleep over the other hotels in the area. I thought the bed was hard when we laid down, but we couldn't find the controls on the mattress so I gave up and we just tried to sleep. It was like sleeping on a rock. I bet the carpeted floor was softer! I tossed and turned until after 1 am when I finally got up, got dressed and went down to the desk to ask for help with the bed.
The man that was on the desk acted like I was interrupting him when he had to come to the desk. When I asked about the bed (which they even had a sign on the counter advertising!!!) he sighed and asked what room I was in. I told him and he said 'oh, the rooms on the second floor don't have those beds. We replaced them with these other ones. I asked him if there was any alternatives since I could not possibly sleep on that hard as a rock mattress. He just shrugged and stood there. When I asked what he expected me to do he said "have a good morning" and went back into the office behind the desk. . .
I was so shocked. I went back up to the room and relayed the conversation to my SO. He was as shocked as I was. So much for their satisfaction guarantee. I tried to sleep in the chair in the room but while comfortable for sitting I couldn't sleep in it. I ended up trying to lay on the bed and at least rest if I couldn't sleep. By morning I was in so much pain I couldn't even bend over to tie my shoes. By the time the sun was coming up I was ready to be out of there. My SO had a very short shower, confirming the water pressure was still non-existent. Well I suppose that's one way for a hotel to be sure their guests leave bright and early.
I'll be reconsidering Hilton for my future hotel plans after this stay.
I've included a couple photos from my stay. I have one of the parking lot - the "spectacular view" from our room, and one of the counter in the bathroom where someone had written "Hi" in the dust on the tissue box/holder, the dirty (lipstick smudged?) sheets, as well as a couple of the fireplace - the one redeeming quality of this room.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Celestya22
Eric T, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Gatlinburg Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2013

Hello Celestya22, thank you for choosing to stay with us. I truly appreicate the thought out review that you posted. I just wish that it could have went the other way for you. I know that you did not recieve the experience that you wanted or that we hoped for you, but I promise you that we will utilize this review as an ongoing training for our staff. I do want to make sure to address a couple of your concerns with you in hopes that it will make a little more sense to you and anyone who reads this. 1.) The water pressure in the shower is due to our LEED certification in efforts to conserve the water. 2.) By the looks of the picture you took of the parking lot and your previous comments about the parking, we were full that night. We try very hard to get everyone what they request, but when we are full it truly is hard. 3.) I know that you like our GSS beds, however we are in the process of phasing those mattresses out and going Serta Perfect Sleeper matresses in all our rooms. We have recieved numerous compliments about the new beds, so I'm so sorry that you were not able have that same comfortable sleep as so many others have had. I also want to make sure that you know, I make it my personal goal to ensure complete satisfaction for all my guest that stay with me and I want to live by my brand promise that if you are not 100% satisfied you will not pay for your stay. I give every one that stays with me my business card with all my information including my personal cell phone number and I truly want you to call me if you are not satisfied, no matter what time of the day or evening it is. I want you to be happy while you are here because I know how hard you work for your vacation and I want to provide the best vacation experience possilbe for you. Again, I'm truly sorry that you did not have the best time possible, but if there is ever any assistance that I can provide please don't hesitate to contact me.

Reviewed 14 November 2013

Rooms was very clean, my wife enjoy the cooks in the restaurant. They fix her omelettes the way she like them. The food was very good, more selections on the food bar we liked. They done ever thing to make our stay as pleasant as we wanted at the front desk. We plan to come again. Thanks

Room Tip: We will stay again, the rooms was very clean. Nice place
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family

Hi there Bill L, thank you for choosing to stay with us. I'm glad to see that you enjoyed your stay with us. Our cooks are definitely awesome and they do such a great job in helping make your vacation experience a positive one. I hope that whenever you choose to visit the Gatlinburg area that we are the first phone call you make. Thank you again and if there is ever any assistance that I can provide for you please don't hesitate to contact me.

Reviewed 13 November 2013

First time at this hotel. When we arrived to our room, there were no toiletries in the room, i.e., soap, shampoo, etc. The TV did not work. The room was clean, except for the telephone, which was nasty. We went out for dinner and told the front desk about the toiletries and TV. He asked if we minded if he went into the room to take the toiletries and we said we did not mind. Returning after dinner, about an hour, the TV worked, but still no toiletries. My husband went down to the desk and again asked for these and someone brought them up within minutes. The shower did not have enough power to rinse the soap off. I understand this is a "green" hotel and this may be why? The toilet seat did not fit the toilet and would slide to the side each time you sat on it. Then, time for bed. The mattress was absolutely the hardest mattress I have ever laid on. It felt like we were on a plank.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank durham9185

Hello durham9185, thank you for choosing to stay with us and posting your review. I'm disapointed to see that you did not have the best time possible with us. The goal of our staff is to provide you the best possible vacation experience so that you walk away with your expectations exceeded. I'm truly sorry that we were unable to obtain our goal with you. I would like to tell you that our Garden Style Sleep Mattresses are being phased out and hopefully if you choose to stay with us again we wont' have to worry about the beds. Thank you again and if there is ever any assistance that I can provide for you please don't hesitate to contact me.

Reviewed 13 November 2013

Stayed there for my Birthday. Selected a room with a fireplace. Later found out that the fireplace was gas but that was OK. Had an even number room and the view was great. The young lady that is a manager (Sorry I lost her card) of the front desk did everything that she could do to make sure we loved our room. The 1/2 price menu from 5 to 7 PM is quite a deal. Ms. Kolby Johnson made sure we were treated like long lost friends in the resturant. Will stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Hello poehouse, thank you for choosing to stay with us and posting your review. I'm glad to see that you enjoyed your stay and I hope that you had a happy birthday here in Gatlinburg. Thank you for taking the time to mention Kolby by name in your review. I know that she will be just as excited to see that you thought enough about her to mention her name as I am. Thank you again and if there is ever any assistance that I can provide please don't hesitate to contact me.

Reviewed 12 November 2013

Had some issues, but did not take the right moves to resolve them. Did not report to management our concerns, were only going to be there a few days so we thought we would just grin and bare it. Nothing really harsh, just minor. Have had same issues at several hotels recently. Housekeeping just isn't what we've experienced in the past, I think so much has been put on ecology and saving water, electricity, at the expense of keeping rooms as clean as what we were accustomed to in the past. My husband and I are at an age where we prefer softer mattresses as compared to a firmer one when we were younger. However, I did not make management aware of this, so they could not be responsible for our desires. Certainly was not there fault. We enjoyed the lobby and the fireplaces, loved the breakfast and the service was excellent. I feel the hotel is nice, I was a little disappointed with the location. It's been many years since we had been to Gatlinburg, so we were not exactly sure where it was located. I booked on line, so didn't know where it was until we arrived. If we return, I might stay elsewhere just to be closer to the river, that would be the reason for not staying here. Not because I was unhappy with the accommodations.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Hello Blake F, thank you for taking the time to let me know about your stay. I'm so sorry to hear that you didn't have the best experience possible with us. I want all my guest to walk away feeling that there is no other place to stay in Gatlinburg. I hate that we were not able to give you that experience. I do hope that you will stay with us again, and please know that anytime you find an issue not matter how big or how small I want to know about it. I give every one that stays with me my business card that has my personal cell phone on it to utilize whenever the need arises. I truly care about my guest experience and I want to do everything possibe to exceed those expectations. Thank you for staying with us and thank you again for making me aware of the issues you had during your stay. If there is ever any assistance that I can provide for you please don't hesitate to contact me.

Reviewed 12 November 2013

If your travels take you to the Gatlinburg area you should consider the Hilton Garden Inn. Its location to the main street & convention center is ideal. Park you car and never worry about finding a parking spot within the tourist areas. This property is well maintained, clean and has a very friendly staff to assist you with all your needs. If you don't feel like walking up the street to Calhouns or The Cherokee Grill for dinner you can eat right there on property. Lots of great choices. Love this property.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Hello Robbie M, thank you for choosing to stay with us and taking the time to review your stay. I'm so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. Our location is very ideal and I think, along with our staff, that is the biggest asset we have with our property. It's close enough to everything but located away from the busy downtown area. Thank you again and I truly hope that we will be your first call anytime you visit the Gatlinburg area. If there is ever any assistance that I can provide please don't hesitate to contact me.