“Very Nice Place” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #16 of 78 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Donalsonville, Georgia
“Very Nice Place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2013

This is the second year in a row that we have stayed here. We would recommend this motel to anyone traveling in this area; however, it's probably more suitable if you are going to be here a few days. The room is very spacious. All the rooms have balconies which provide wonderful views of the city and mountains. The bed is very comfy; the living room has a beautiful working gas fireplace. We even have a washer and dryer in our room. Come stay here and see what you think.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the mountain side.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HIClubSmokyMtn, General Manager at Holiday Inn Club Vacations Smoky Mountain Resort, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
Hello, JefferyR.
Thank you for your review of our resort and your experience staying with us. I apologize for such a late response. I want to assure you that your comments where read when we received them and any corrective actions where made if needed. I promise that we will continue to work very hard striving to meet the highest expectations that our guest have become accustom to while staying with us. I hope to see you and your family again as your travels bring ya’ll back to our beautiful Smoky Mountains and the surrounding area. Don Ward

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2013 via mobile

My husband and I are owners (at the Orange Lake property) but we have a goal to try all of the properties. We invited another couple to come with us and we spent 4 nights in a 2 bedroom villa. We had reserved for 6 nights, but since the national parks are all closed, we kind of ran out of things to do so we left early - certainly no reflection on the property. We had a villa on the 8th floor facing the mountains - gorgeous views which made for great happy hours on the balcony. The villa was super clean and we were very impressed with it. The salespeople tried to get us to do the "owners update" to get some discounts on some attractions, but we just said no and that was that. No big deal. We really wished the parks were open as this is obviously the biggest attraction in the area. We managed to keep busy though. There is a beautiful trail you can walk by the river within walking distance of the hotel. Go down to light #10 ( the hotel is at 8), make a right and then the next left. The trail is on the right. Gorgeous! And at least you can enjoy a bit of the mountains this way. Anyway, the hotel is really great - Bobby Jean at the front desk is a doll and we had a blast with her. My husband's name is Bobby Dean, so those two had a good time with that. We will definitely come back when the parks are not closed.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Hello, Thugwatcher
Urbandale, Iowa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2013

We just visited this resort September 26 through September 29. Everyone was very friendly, from Amber at the front desk to people throughout the resort. We called down to report our coffee pot leaked and we had a burned out bulb in one of the bedrooms. My husband no sooner put down the phone and two people were at the door. One with a coffee pot and the other with a bulb. I don't think you could have had faster service. The resort is within walking distance of the downtown area. We had a two bedroom villa and a well equipped kitchen! We really enjoyed our stay very much !!!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Hello, Cammy456
Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2013

When making a reservation with Holiday Inn recently (one of three weeklong reservations), I was told that I qualified for some special promotion. Being that it is Holiday Inn/IHG, I thought they were above any kind of bad business practices. Anyway, I was told by someone that I could STAY AT the Holiday Inn Club vacation in Gatlinburg-Smokey Mountain for this $199 deal, and get the money back if I just gave them 2 hours on a Saturday morning. I am so mad at myself for even biting at this one. I know better. Anyway, I did it and after learning more about this deal, they will not refund my money now. I am now finding out that it is not to stay at this location, but at an area hotel... one of three in the area... and that I go over to this location (that I was led to believe I was staying at) for the 2 hour presentation. I'm sorry, but that is NOT what I was told on the phone. I have also clearly been told that this is not an exception, but that you never stay here unless you pay for some $400 package. It is not based on availability. I guess I will just go get my money back, but I am really disappointed in Holiday Inn and their practices with this. If they would just refund my $199, I would be happy, but they will not do it.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
16 Thank bahiablue
Hello, Jenny B
I am sorry you had issues with your reservation for our Marketing Tour Package. I wish you would have called and given me the opportunity to try and help resolve the issue of staying here prior to giving such an unfair review, as you did not even stay here with us. If you would have stayed here you would have realized that my staff and I will do everything possible to exceed your vacation expectations. Feel free to contact me here at the resort if I can be of any assistance in the future. I promise to work hard to meet your expectations if you actually ever stay here with us. Don Ward
Cambridge
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2013

Over from England and visiting my son and daughter in law in Charlotte we decided to take a trip up to Gatlinburg for a couple of nights.

We booked a suite based on two bedrooms, one two queen size bed with a separate bathroom and one with a king size bed with the bath in the bedroom!? And a good sized lounge with a gas fire and some very comfortable chairs plus other table and chairs to eat a meal at in a civilised manner.

Rooms were of nice size, with full kitchen which was well equipped, the only minor niggle was that even though book in was 16:00 we had to wait twenty minutes but as reported elsewhere the staff kept us entertained during our wait.

It is within walking distance to downtown Gatlinburg but be aware, it is an eight to ten minute walk back up the hill quite steep (as befits a road up to the mountains), which at the end of a long hard day walking it is quite a relief to get back up to the hotel.

No on site catering beyond a never ending supply of coffee and a small shop supplying the basics for use in the kitchen.

It is a holiday hotel and people do expect to use the facilities, which were for us sufficient, although the out door pool did look as if it could do with a bit of clean but that should not detract from the overall image of a team of people polite and friendly who appeared to be working hard to please customers who sometimes did not seem to want to be pleased.

All in all just right for our purpose which was somewhere to stay to get a taster of the region.

Room Tip: Aim high the view down over Gatlinburg is stunning
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
HIClubSmokyMtn, General Manager at Holiday Inn Club Vacations Smoky Mountain Resort, responded to this review, 3 October 2013
Hello Cliver 2029, I am glad y’all had such a good time with us! We tried to create an experience of swimming in one of our local river swimming holes at our outdoor pool. We finished the bottom of the pool with a brown glass beaded material called Jewel Scapes , that has color variations, which is normal , giving the appearance of the “river bottom”. I assure you the pools are very clean. I want to thank you for noticing how hard my team try’s to please ALL of our guest ALL the time. I hope y’all will come back and see us next trip to see your son and family , bring them with you. Don Ward
Fort Walton Beach
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2013

The Gatlinburg Holiday Inn is the perfect destination for anyone who plans to be on the go in the Gatlinburg area. I have stayed in Holiday Inn's all across the country as an Elite Member, and I can say that my experience with the staff here was different from any other location. As long as this isn't the standard I will continue to visit Holiday Inns.

The room we had was quite nice with a well equipped kitchen, which was extremely handy since the resort doesn't not include a restaurant or lounge. The mountains are the focus, and there are nice views, from some rooms. Our room had a balcony that we could stand on to enjoy a view and if we wanted to sit we could pull back the curtains and still see part of the view while sitting in the living room. The center of the complex sports a wet area pool and hot tub surrounded with plants for a tropical feel. The surrounding buildings and vegetation makes it a challenge to keep the pool clean, but it looked like they tried.

There must be better places to stay.

Room Tip: No room service. No restaurant . No bar.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank FWB_Foodie
HIClubSmokyMtn, General Manager at Holiday Inn Club Vacations Smoky Mountain Resort, responded to this review, 1 October 2013
Hello FWB-Foodie I have sent you a private message in hopes to obtain the information I need to correct the experience you had with my staff. I look forward to your response. Don Ward
DENHAM SPRINGS
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2013 via mobile

Sofa bed broken beyond repair. No one came out until midnight the day I called on it. 2 broken rocking chairs. Large stains on carpet. No one seems to want to get back with me. We stayed 3 nights and the last night was the only night we could use the sofa bed!!

• Stayed September 2013