“beautiful and cozy”

Ranked #18 of 78 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Phoenix, Arizona
“beautiful and cozy”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2014

We stayed here for a timeshare presentation trip from 28 February to 4 March. The Festival of Lights runs through the end of February, and this is a must see. The whole town is lit up like Christmas. The staff was very friendly and welcoming, and the resort was conveniently located. Just a few minutes of walking took you down to Parkway, which is the main strip through town.

The employees at all of the restaurants and attractions we went to were also very friendly. Several places offered a military discount, up to half off at the Ripley's attractions. Ripley's Aquarium was phenomenal, and the Odditorium was interesting. There are multiple rooms of interactive learning experiences for kids.

There were several places on the strip that offered free samples, everything from fudge to moonshine! The taffy at Ole' Smokey candy factory was definitely the best. The food at Park Grill was amazing, including the largest crème brûlée we have ever seen--a full soup bowl--and made with whiskey. The service was excellent. The garlic knots at The Best Italian were incredible and free. The peach crepes at Log Cabin Pancake House were super yummy, and Bones BBQ was a nice, clean place with great brisket and ribs.

Because it was the off-season in TN, not everything was open; but we enjoyed much smaller crowds than are apparently seen in the summertime. A short trip up the road to Cades Cove reveals a scenic drive that lands you at a pioneer settlement with lots of wildlife, as well as many historic buildings that make for great, rustic, family-Christmas-card-worthy photo opportunities. Pigeon Forge is also a short trip away and offers lots of activities.

The timeshare presentation was probably the best one we have had, and we have been to several. Gary was outstanding, very friendly and knowledgeable, never pushy. He worked hard to get our business but never became curt or rude at any point in the presentation, always maintaining a good sense of humor.

I would love to visit this area again in the summertime and see a show, visit Sevierville and do more of the outdoor attractions. Being there about three weeks later would have given us access to Dollywood as well.

Room Tip: Our room faced the front of the hotel, with a nice view of the landscape and the space needle. We we...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank jpaweleck
HIClubSmokyMtn, General Manager at Holiday Inn Club Vacations Smoky Mountain Resort, responded to this review, 11 March 2014
Jpaweleck,
Coming from a 20 review contributor, I am beyond happy to hear that y’all enjoyed your stay and sales presentation. Was this your first visit to our beautiful Smoky Mountain Area? You definitely ate good and experienced some of our top attractions along with The Great Smoky Mountains National Park. I hope y’all will come back and experience summer with us. When you come back don’t forget to let us know your expectations of your 2nd stay with us and we will get right on it and will work real hard to exceed them! Don Ward

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
Pekin, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2014

We traded into this resort via RCI. Although off season, we certainly enjoyed getting away from the subfreezing temps and deep snowcover of home for a while.

We had a very nice 2 BR unit (looked just like the pictures on the TripAdvisor page). Room was clean and up to date.

Security was very good with entrance to the elevator from the parking garage requiring a keycard as did all outside doors during the night. We never experienced any doubts about the safety of the resort.

All the staff was extremely friendly and attentive. For instance, we called down to ask for a pizza pan and a pizza cutter and they were delivered to our room within 10 minutes. We were contacted several times to insure we were having no problems during our stay.

Within easy walking distance of Gatlinburg's main street. Many restaurants within the area. We ate at Bones BBQ Joint and Bubba Gumps Shrimp which were both just down the street a few blocks.

Went through the timeshare review to get some cheap tickets to some of the dinner shows. Was not very pushy although they certainly tried to sell you (as all timeshares do). Actually thought they had an interesting program and would have been interested back in our working days.

Only real downside we had was we charged about $70 for housekeeping fees because we were there through RCI.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
WOW! Now this is what we love to hear Retiring at62. It tickles me that y’all enjoyed your stay with us! We work very hard to meet and really exceed our guest expectations, for every one of their stays. My team and I know that there are many lodging options in the Gatlinburg Smoky Mountain area for you to choose from and we are very grateful and appreciate that you choose to stay with us and hope that we earned your return stay as well. I promise we will work very hard to make your next stay as good as the first and everyone after that. Happy and safe travels Don Ward
Lexington, Kentucky
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014

My husband and I stayed at the hotel over the weekend; it was conveniently located within walking distance to everything downtown. The staff was very welcoming upon arrival and even called when we got into our hotel room just to ensure everything was ok. The only compliant we had was when we went to get our parking tag we had to go to a seperate desk, there we were hounded about doing a presentation the next day about their clubs. Not saying the clubs are not nice but when I told the guy no he kept on and all I wanted to do was check into my room. Just seemed a lil pushy and plus he was holding up other people getting their stuff. The beds are a little firm, or at least our room was but still one of the nicest places in Gatlinburg. Overall it was a great stay and I plan on coming back here when we visit the area again.

• Stayed March 2014
HIClubSmokyMtn, General Manager at Holiday Inn Club Vacations Smoky Mountain Resort, responded to this review, 4 March 2014
Thanks for reviewing your stay with us Leslie S. I am real happy to hear you and your husband had such a good time! I want to apologize for the issues with your parking pass sometimes our excitement and passion for sharing this great opportunity with our guest is a little much. All of our mattresses where recently replaced. On your next visit if your mattress still feels to firm just let us know we will be more than happy to put a memory foam mattress topper on your bed to make it “just right” I hope to see ya’ll again real soon. Don Ward
Kingsport, Tennessee
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2014

Checked in and could not get parking pass. Gentlemen was busy selling and told me to unload and come back. After dinner came back to room and water was coming through the recessed can in ceiling. Staff on hand was helpful, but for $ this is unacceptable. We shall see what the outcome is in the morning when room above us takes another bath/shower. Would not recommend.

• Stayed February 2014
Hello Trippdaddy,
I am very sorry that you experienced the small water leak, caused from the guest on the floor above you overfilling their tub, during your stay. I am really confused as to why you rated our service so low. As soon as you made my team aware of the issue they responded immediately. Tyler our night security offered to move you to another room 610 first thing and was more than happy to physically move your belongs for you with Ralph’s , our evening maintenance ,help. You acknowledged this saying that you would need to check with your wife, then Ralph proceeded to your unit with you ,where you showed him where the leak was , he then removed the light and dried up the water and alleviated the leak, as you were asking your wife if she wanted to move: which she didn’t saying, that she did not think the leak was a big deal. Then when Ralph apologized for the inconvenience and asked if there was anything else he could do for you, you told him other than the water everything was great and even offered him a cookie you had baked. We immediately responded to and corrected a situation that was out of all our control, once you made us a ware , I had two staff members offering more than 3 times to physically move you to another room which you refused .As I said, I am greatly confused on the bad ratings of service and value, and I am very sorry that it happened at all , but I am also very proud of the passion my team displayed for caring for their guest. I do hope you will come back and see us. Don Ward
Hendersonville, Tennessee
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014

By listing this time share club with other hotels is a true disservice.

The first issue is that they do not have daily housekeeping. This was never made clear. The time share does supply towels and sheets, however these are not changed or cleaned during your stay. You are expected to wash and dry these items yourself.

Second is there is no restaurant or room service available on site. There is a refrigerator and appliances to cook with but no food service. While this may appeal to families and others, it does not appeal to many other travelers. Again, this shortfall was not made clear.

Third is the poor repair of room items and the lack of service and responsiveness to these shortfalls. I chose this “hotel” even though it was expensive for Gatlinburg, because it was highly rated and had an in-room whirlpool tub. The first day I was there the tub did not work. I went down to the front desk and told them. They wrote a note to maintenance to fix it. It was not fixed. The next morning I went to the front desk to complain that it wasn’t fixed. There was no desk clerk, just a security guard. He wrote another note. Again it was not fixed. That afternoon, I went back to the front desk for a third time to tell them about the non-working tub and was told they did not see any notes or maintenance tickets but would get it repaired. When I returned that evening it still did not work.

I went to the time share hot tub near the pool that night at 11PM as the rules state that after 11PM, it is for adults only. There was a family there with a very loud, active, young child. When the security guard came by, I thought he was going to tell them they had to leave but he said since they were there the whole week they could stay.

The second day of my stay, there was a large convention in town. 20,000 teenagers came to town with most of the time-share rooms being booked for these teenagers. Many rooms had 5 or more in a room. Although they were well behaved, teenagers tend to be loud. I know the convention was not the responsibility of the Time-share but they did have a responsibility to let me know when I booked my room that they would be there.

I paid an extra $5 per day prior to check in to allow me to cancel any part of my vacation without notice. Because of the poor experience, I checked out a day early. When I went to check out, again there was no clerk, just a security guard who would not confirm that I would not be charged for the cancelled day. I asked him to leave a message for the manager to call me during the day. I know you will be surprised but I did not receive a call.

That evening I called the hotel General Manager, Mr. Ward who listened to what I said but did not even apologize. All he kept saying was he was not going to comp me for the room. I never asked to be comped, all I wanted was an acknowledgment of the poor service and an apology. That never came.

I have a 94 year old mother who I take care of. Between my full-time day job and my all night second job of “nursing” it was difficult to get away for a couple of days. I was looking forward to a quiet 3 day retreat of hot tubs and room service and just plain relaxing. Boy was I disappointed.

I strongly suggest that due to high prices, lack of amenities, poor repair, total lack of responsibility and horrible customer service, you do not consider either staying at or purchasing this time share.

Room Tip: I strongly suggest that due to high prices, lack of amenities, poor repair, total lack of responsibi...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
10 Thank Mark N
HIClubSmokyMtn, General Manager at Holiday Inn Club Vacations Smoky Mountain Resort, responded to this review, 26 February 2014
Mark N,
Please review the conformation provided at the time of booking, on the internet, it clearly states that we do not offer daily linen and towel exchanges as there is 6 sets provided in our 1 bedroom units and 10 sets in our 2 bedroom units. With that said if you would have made us aware that you wanted towel exchanges we would have gladly taken care of that, as we try to exceed our guest expectations and needs.
Your conformation also informs guest that we do not have any food services other than fully equipped kitchens. What it does not tell, that we tell all guest at check-in is that there is a fabulous pancake house that servers breakfast and lunch 7 days per week, directly across the street from our resort.
I am sorry you did not hear me apologize and comment to corrective actions on the delay of the repair of your “whirlpool tub “, most likely due to your threatening to give “really bad reviews on trip advisor” and hanging up on me when I refused to give you any other refund over your last night’s room and tax which was refunded in full.
What I was trying to say, when you hung up on me, is that at check in I provide All guest with a welcome card containing my cell phone number as well as my home number encouraging them , to feel free to contact me at any time 24/7 if I could be of any assistance in exceeding their expectations or meeting any of their needs. I want ALL of my GUEST to have most memorable vacation experiences. I could have fixed this situation very easily if you would have contacted me during your stay not once you returned home and only contacted me demanding a full refund and never mentioning an apology or giving me any opportunity to make the situation right.
I sincerely hope that you will not let your dissatisfaction with me and my property prevent you from visiting our beautiful Smoky Mountains in the future
Don Ward
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2014 via mobile

Was very surprised at how nice the room was. Every one was very friendly and courteous. The rooms were very clean and spacious. The location is definitely a plus to. Will definitely be staying here again and I would highly recommend staying here.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Hello there Jennifer S,
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us! We work very hard to give our guest a vacation experience that far exceeds their highest expectations. I hope to see you on your return trip here to the Great Smoky Mountains and Gatlinburg area. Don Ward
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2014

My fiancée and I stayed in the 2 bedroom villa suite. The room was beautiful but as we entered the master bedroom, the bed had not been made and wet a bunch of wet towels were inside of the whirlpool tub. I called down to have something be done. They moved us to a new room where we found a old lady (a guest of another room) in our living room doing her laundry. Apparently Someone at the desk gave her access to our room! After calling to complain yet again, they moved us into a different room which had to be a handicap room. It still had a whirl pool for me and my fiancée to enjoy so I didn't complain. When it was time to use the whirl pool there was no hot water ! I called to have it fixed, they sent security up and he didnt know how to fix it considering he is not the matinence man. We were forced to boil hot water and pour it into the tub to enjoy the whirlpool! I spoke to Ron (man who checked me in) about this and all the issues I had since check in to see what he could do to satisfy us. His exact words "I can't do anything for you. I will have to call corporate and see if they can do anything , I will call you back in the morning and let you know ". Not only did Ron not do anything but he didnt even pass anything down to the morning shift. At check out I spoke with Ed about my stay and he was totally clueless! After paying $250 for my room I was extremely upset. Ed at least took off $50 for my troubles. I work in the hospitality industry and I know the things that could have and should have happened during my situation. Thru it all, I enjoyed my time there but it is disappointing that I stayed 1 night and had to have 3 different rooms and nothing was really done for guest satisfaction.

• Stayed February 2014
2 Thank AdamJihaad24
Hello, AdamJihaad24
Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us, I do greatly apologize that you had such a hard time during your stay. My AGM Tom Simmons has made several attempts to contact you privately please reach out to him here at the resort.
I want to assure you that the situation you encountered is not the normal here at all, and we will make sure your next stay is much better with much improved communications between my staff members and you will leave with the” legendary experience” that we want all of our guest to leave with . Please feel free to contact me directly if I can be of any assistance. I look forward to your return to our resort and the Smoky Mountain area. Don Ward