“Okay, but will not return”

Adventure Bound Camping Resort - Gatlinburg
Dayton, Ohio, United States
“Okay, but will not return”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2013

This is more a rugged campground in that except for the main entrance, all the roads are gravel, all the sites have no concrete pads or patios (gravel or grass). Which is fine until it rains. The campground is not on flat terrain so water pours down the gravel roads like a river. The roads get ruts in them and if your campsite is lower than your neighbors, you will get water fall on your site. We stayed in a travel trailer on lot #193. It was further back and could not hear the road and had lots of trees & shade and close to the bath house (if needed). The roads are narrow...I would not want to drive in after dark and navigate. We had kids with us and both I and they loved the 500 ft water slide. This slide is what made the campground worth staying at. We must have went down the slide over 75 times in 2 days. We never made it to the arcade, swimming pool or pond. The water slide and price are the good things about the campground. The negatives: too far from any Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge activities/attractions. Its 13 mile from Gatlinburg, but that is at least a 20 min drive. Paved roads really improve the campgrounds, even if they kept the gravel campsites. The cable did not work the entire weekend (not a big deal). We are new to camping, so this may be similar to all campgrounds, but their were lots of dogs and portable fences for dogs set up to stay in. I like dogs, just not barking/yipping ones. The bathrooms weren't the cleanest. Due to the far distance from Gatlinburg and the muddy campsites after rainfall, I don't see us coming back to this campground. The staff was friendly.

Room Tip: To be away from the swimming pool & basket ball court/playground and less traffic flow, I would...
1 Thank TMW1672

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2013

I read the reviews and was really kindof dreading the camping trip. We didn't book until the last minute and got the last site left for the weekend. I figured we were getting the worst site and it was going to be a miserable weekend. Boy was I wrong! We loved this campground. Mother nature didn't really cooperate to let us use it fully, but we made the best of it. We were in site number 1. It wasn't completely level, but wasn't horribly unlevel either. Our site was not very big, but our rig fit in it fine. I would not want the 2 sites next to us. Those seemed to be some of the smallest width wise we saw. Those were sites 2 and 3. We walked around the entire campground (which is very big). We found some other sites we would like to try and reserve on our next trip. It rained horribly most of the weekend. The pool was freezing from all of the rain. We didn't get to do the water slide either. My son got in the jumpy houses for just a little bit. We were close to the arcade, pool and camp store. We were close to the highway, but the highway noise didn't bother us. Sometimes a loud motorcycle would come by, but that's to be expected in the mountains.

The campground is much larger than expected. We saw sites up to numbers 167. I'm not really sure how many sites the campground has, but it is big. It is a great place for kids and there was a lot of them. Many people walking their dogs. All of the dogs were very friendly. Lots of kids riding their bicycles. Our son rode every time the rain would stop. He loved riding through the mud holes left from the storms. Some of the roads are gravel and some are paved. One of the big rains we had really washed the roads out. Some of them looked newly graded before the rains.

The campground had activities planned. We stopped by the story telling, but didn't stay. We were trying to get supper cooked between rains. We went to the fish pond, but never saw anyone catch anything.

There are several creeks throughout the campground. Some of them were flowing very fast. It wasn't a creek you could get in and walk around. Some of the back sites had smaller creeks.

We were in a travel trailer, but there were some awesome looking tent sites. They were covered decks and some were hanging over the creeks...and some over the trout pond. Those sites had grills. Ours did not. The sites had firepits and the camp store sold firewood for $5 a bundle.

The rental cabins look really cool. Some of them have decks hanging over the creeks. We saw some of the rental RVs and they looked like newer RVs.

The campstore had ice cream and a large variety of items. It did close at 8.

We went to the arcade. It was very large and many of the games didn't work. I could see why. There were some teenage boys jumping and rocking one of the little kids riding cars. I gave them a mean look and they left. I'm sure they knew I was getting ready to say something to them. I can't stand for kids to intentionally tear up stuff. No wonder some of the games do not work.

The staff was very friendly. They all spoke when you saw them out. The kids activity coordinator was awesome. She did a treasure hunt with them. There was a water gun fight in the afternoon. It was overcast and gloomy, but all of the kids including the adults had a great time. You could tell she really loved her job.

People were always jogging, walking their dogs, riding bikes. Most of the people here were very friendly. We have never been to a campground with so many activities and attractions for the kids.

We used all of the restrooms on site. Some during the water gun wars, some while walking and the other one by our campsite. All were adequately stocked and what I expect from a campground. I do not know if they were cleaned every day. They seemed average to above average. Ours had tile walk in showers, the water was nice and hot.

We had no water pressure problems. Our cable didn't work a lot. It would go out every time it stormed (which seemed like every 2 hours). We didn't come camping to watch TV, but it would have been nice during the rain. No big deal for us.

There was a park area for kids. It had a playground area, swings, volleyball, cornhole boards and basketball.

Food City is towards Gatlinburg approx. 10 miles. It was crazy busy like Walmart on Black Friday. We had to park at the neigboring office complex because there was no parking. I believe Gatlinburg is about 12 miles from the campground. This was great because the only time we had to deal with the crowds and traffic was the trip to Food City for groceries.

I did get hooked into the wifi some. It was a slow connection and dropped the connection a lot. However, I didn't come camping to be on the computer working the whole time anyways.

We loved it even though it rained a lot! We will definately be back. Our son has already asked when we can come back.

2 Thank FrankieHawn
La Follette, Tennessee, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2013

My family and I recently stayed 2 nights in our own travel trailer. The only good thing I can say is at least the pool was clean and the kids loved the slide. Unfortunately the slide was the highlight of the park. The sites are really cramped with all the trees ( most are in this area, so no biggie there), our site ( site #123 ) was very un-even and made set-up a little tricky. The worst part came when it rained and all the muddy wash-off flooded out site and ruined our rug. We will blame mother nature and absence for that one. The restrooms were not cleaned not a single time we were there. Evidence being a strand of toilet paper that was never removed and hair that was all over the sink. The arcade room was leaking like a sift after it rained, which most of the games did not even work. A worker agreed to refund our money for the non-working games, but he never returned after he left to do so. The pool tables were missing balls, and all the games are very outdated. The showers were not very clean either, I suggest using the one in your camper if you are lucky enough to have one. Just FYI, if you stay here you are 30 minutes from any good entertainment. There were no grills on our site, but there were some on others. The provided picnic table need to be posted as condemned. The trout pond looked nice until you came closer and realized that people like to leave their trash and dead fish behind. We did pay to use the pond because that's the rules, and only got a little nibble after 1 1/12 hours. I had read the reviews about the rude staff, but I thought I could rule that one out until our last day. The pool guy (gray haired older person) started yelling at some kids for hanging on the pool divider rope. I see the problem in that, but not one to yell about. And this happened twice. Maybe I would have yelled the 2nd time, lol. Then the slide is closed on wed for maint., not a big deal here either. But we waited patiently on thurs for it to open @ noon. Surprise!!!!, it was not ready to be open because it needed maint. The same reason it was closed for all day wed!!!! It finally did open around 12:30 by the hateful old man that was yelling at the pool. And yes he started yelling rules at all the kids standing in line patiently waiting and doing no wrong. The bad part was there was a rule sign right behind the guy that stated everything he was yelling except he made up a few of his own that conflicted what the sign had posted. I would not recommend this park nor will I ever return. I suggest Clayboughs in Pigeon Forge because that is where I have stayed several times with not a single complaint. I am sure there are plenty of others that are good and do clean their facilities on a schedule. I do believed Crazy Horse has a great concept, but they fail to execute it in in epic proportions.

2 Thank Robbie R
Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2013

We rented an RV here for 4 nights and absolutely loved our stay. However, we did not really use many of the campground facilities other than our RV and the bath house and laundry facilities. The showers were always open and were cleaned well enough. Friday night the place really started to fill up and I am glad it was our last night there. The sites are super close together and kids are everywhere, all the time! Our site was right on the creek and even had a little deck over it. It was super awesome. The beds in the RV were super uncomfortable though. Quite a ways from Gatlinburg and the National Park. There was one area of the park called Greenbriar a few miles from the campground. Its super secluded with great trails and an awesome swimming creek.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TravellinTiff
Waymart, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2013

I researched forever before choosing this campground. In the end, I think I made the wrong choice. I thought it would have roomier sites and less noise since it was further away from town, so I sacrificed convenience for better sites. Unfortunately, our site was not good at all. It was way too small for our camper, it was wet with a pile of gravel in it, and road noise was right behind us. The first problem, too small for our camper, was likely the mistake of an employee who accidentally circled the wrong site on our late check-in map, AND directed us in the wrong way. Not fun jockeying a 33 foot camper attached to a full-sized pick-up in the dark, up an incline, trying not to hit another vehicle or a tree, into a site that is too small. We actually had to put the truck into 4WD to do it, and the hitch scraped along the ground. Here are the goods and bads that we noticed:

1. The campground is pretty. Lots of shade trees around. Looks like a campground and not a parking lot for RVs!

2. Game room is well-equipped and open late (11PM). Fun rockers all along the porch outside of the game room.

3. Pool is large and clean, and open late (10PM). Love that it has an 8ft section for the big kids!

4. Waterslide looks fun, but we didn't use it. It is only open from noon to 6, when we were gone. Closed Wednesdays for maintenance.

5. Sites were small, but I always think sites are small! I compare them to our large sites at my local campgrounds. Don't like that they squeeze sites where sites should not be.

6. Road noise can be heard from many sites. Creek sounds drown out the road noise, but we weren't willing to spend the extra $100/week to get the creek sites, since we knew we wouldn't spend a lot of time at the campground.

7. Despite what we read from others, the 15 - 20 minute drive to ANYWHERE was an inconvenience for us. If we would have gotten larger sites and no road noise, the drive wouldn't have bothered me. Now I wish I had stayed in a campground closer to Gatlinburg and the National Park. We passed by Twin Creek campground every day, and I wish we had stayed there. It was out of town a bit, but the trolley still went to it. The sites looked decent from the road.

8. We used the bathhouse near our site, which was up at the "top" of the campground (furthest back). It was ok - spider webs and bugs around, but mostly clean. Never had to wait for a shower, and had warm water each time. We used the bathhouse by the pool, and it was more modern and clean.

9. Camp store is well-stocked. Employees were helpful in advising us on places to visit. They sell tickets to some attractions, though we didn't buy any there. Also sells firewook - you should not bring yours from home unless you live within 50 miles, I think. Camp store closes fairly early (hence the problem with our late check-in......)

Overall, I would rate some parts of this campground above-average, and some parts below-average.

Room Tip: If money is not an issue, spend the extra to get a creek site.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2013

We stayed here July 3-7th 2013 in a 27' trailer, on site #2. First the positives. The pool was sparkling clean when we were here. Kids enjoyed water slide and inflatables. TV reception was good and consistent. Now the not so positives. Our site was not large enough for our trailer and truck to fit without being in the road. Most of the people in office are friendly, with the exception of one woman and man. The woman sort of soured us on the place the first day. Be careful on the water slide if you are a grown up or teenager because you will travel faster, it's hard to control, and the concrete will scrape you. There aren't enough bathrooms, and what's there was very dirty in the evenings. They are poorly planned out, and there's nowhere to hang your clothes or lay them out of the water. While we were there our kitchen faucet stopped up and there was debris coming out of our shower. Our next door neighbor said he was having water pressure problems too, so the water must have dirt and gravels in it.

All in all, it want awful, but it wasn't great either. I've stated where the showers are clean and more convenient for getting ready, with hooks, shelves, etc. you can have a nice trip here if you have a good attitude, but there are better places out there.

• Stayed July 2013
KY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2013

We stayed in site 6. Most of the sites are not level, and the pictures you see where the road is paved is partially true, but more than half of the campground is gravel, and all of the sites are gravel and muddy. Most of the campground is on a hillside, so when it rains, be prepared for water running down hill. They do have a fair bit of trees, and it really feels like a campground. No seasonal trailers here, just a few newer campers that the campground rents out. They have good cable (68 channels), AT&T wireless is almost nonexistent, and Verizon has 4G LTE with 1-2 bars. The best sites are the electric / water / no sewer sites: so if you have a tote, bring it and dump your water as needed at the dump stations. It is worth it to hear the running water all night outside your camper. Most of the full hookup sites are not near the water. Could not connect to the WiFi, and the front desk staff is of no help. They have no tech support (1-800 #) to help with the WiFi. You either get it or you don't. I never could connect. The waterslide, and bounce houses are closed on Wednesday and open at noon every other day. Pool is pretty big, but the pool deck gets dirty quick with all of the gravel and mud being brought in from people’s shoes. I guess I had higher expectations for the campground, than what I actually got. Probably would not return as this campground is a good 20-30 minute drive to Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge. Would probably find a closer campground and skip the waterslide and bounce houses, as we hardly spent any time at the campground. We camped here in a Travel Trailer.

Room Tip: Book an electric/water site and bring a tote to dump your water. These are the best sites as they b...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank jmcmanama
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gatlinburg
Mountain Shadows Log Home Resort
#15 of 52 in Gatlinburg
Bear Cove Village
Bear Cove Village
#18 of 54 in Pigeon Forge

Been to Adventure Bound Camping Resort - Gatlinburg? Share your experiences!