“Not a Bad Place to Stay!!!”

Baymont Inn & Suites Gatlinburg On The River
Ranked #13 of 77 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Battle Creek, Michigan
“Not a Bad Place to Stay!!!”
Reviewed 1 May 2013

My wife and I booked a two-night stay here during a trip that took us to Savannah, GA and Gatlinburg, TN. The price per night was very reasonable, and I liked some of the amenities that the hotel offered. In addition, the hotel is conveniently located on the Parkway and it is easy to get to attractions in Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge.

This is a good hotel as long as your expectations are not set "too" high. Our room was of a decent size, the bed was comfortable, and the room was generally clean although it was dated and a bit worn. In particular, the linens and bedding have seen there better days. At least two of the pillow cases had set-in stains on them (ink spots or grease, perhaps), and one of our bed sheets had a small, rust colored stain that looked like it could have been a spot of blood that was not laundered out properly. One of the sheets was also frayed along the edge. Here again, time to update the linens! All of the rooms have a small balcony that overlooks the river behind the hotel. This is one of the hotel's better features. The view is quite nice, and my wife and I enjoyed sitting out our first night listening to the sounds of the river.

The breakfast offerings at this hotel are quite good. There were waffles, eggs, sausage, biscuits, sausage gravy, breads, pastries, "DONUTS" (usually a rarity), fresh fruit and beverages including juices and coffee. The breakfast room is small and can get a little crowded, but we didn't have any trouble finding a table both days that we were there. The lady servicing the breakfast room did a great job at keeping things up and clean. Hey -- the breakfast was so good I could forget about the stained linens!!!

The front desk staff was also very professional, friendly and courteous. Everyone we interacted with was great and were very helpful, to include providing directions and information about the local area and trolley service, etc. Speaking of the trolley service, a stop is located adjacent to the hotel.

Parking at this hotel can be somewhat "challenging"; spaces are small and turning radius's are tight. However, there seemed to be enough spaces which also included parking underneath the hotel.

My only real complaint about this hotel concerned the "road noise" which emanates from the front of the hotel. All of the rooms face the parkway, and the noise level from the road can be a little "distracting." There is also a gas station directly across the street which tends to get a lot of traffic that adds to the noise factor. I tend to be a light sleeper, so I had two restless nights. My wife, on the other hand, was not bothered by the noise and slept great. I found it to be a challenge; others may not.

Anyway, if you are looking for a "decent," reasonably-priced hotel in the Gatlinburg area that offers good, clean rooms -- then you may wish to look here. We enjoyed our stay, and you may as well. But again, be mindful of the road noise, and don't look too close at the bedding!!!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank penguinhunter
Jetta H, Manager at Baymont Inn & Suites Gatlinburg On The River, responded to this review, 12 May 2013
Hello. Thank you for staying with us at Comfort Inn on the River and thank you for posting your review. Comments and suggestions from our guests are very important to us. We are in the process of updating and improving the hotel, so I hope you will come back and stay with us again soon. Have a nice day!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
Reviewed 25 April 2013 via mobile

You have a nice view of the river from your balcony behind the hotel. It is located right on the Main Street but the noise does quiet down quite a bit between 11pm and 6am. The rooms are a little dated and worn but are clean. Overall it has a nice feel.

Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DNDSZ06
Thank you for staying with us in the Smoky Mountains. I appreciate you taking the time out of your day to post a review of your visit. I'm glad you had a great time, and I hope to see you here again soon.
The Adirondacks
Reviewed 23 April 2013

This is a basic budget motel, on par with other Comfort Inns. The furnishings are dated and a bit worn, but the rooms are clean and otherwise in good repair. All rooms face the highway, so the place is a bit noisy. My room had a king bed with firm mattress, a gas fireplace, a mini fridge, microwave oven and coffee maker. The TV is an older 25-inch tube model, not a modern flat panel one. Each room has a small balcony overlooking the river. Breakfast was OK and included fresh fruit, do-it-yourself waffles, yogurt, Krispy Kreme donuts and dreadful coffee.

Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
I'd like to thank you for staying with us at Comfort Inn. Thank you for your feedback as well. Responses from our guests are very important to us. They show us what we are doing right, and they also show us what we can do to improve our guests' experiences. We are in the process of making lots of improvements to our hotel, and we will continue to do so. I hope you have a wonderful day, and I hope you will consider staying with us again in the future.
Eaton, Ohio
Reviewed 18 April 2013

Was there the week-end of 4/12-4/14/2013, very friendly staff. Great help with our check-in. Answered all our questions about the city. Breakfast was surprisingly great! Hot coffee,eggs, bisicuts, gravy, doughnuts, and more. Rooms were clean,too. Will visit again. Thanks for a great place to sleep..

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Terry and Debby W
Hello. Thank you for staying with us at Comfort Inn. I'm glad you had such a good visit, and I appreciate you taking the time to write a review. We look forward to seeing you again in the future. Have a nice day!
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 5 April 2013

We very recently stayed here through a Timeshare. At first sight I was annoyed as the hotel is right on the highway and I have two young kids, ages 1 and 2 years. Since it was a Timeshare and we couldn't change our hotel I anticipated the worst vacation ever. However, much to my pleasant surprise, the rooms were very well furnished and the amenities were more than you could ask for! Add to that the free hot breakfast every morning from 6.30 to 9.30 and you had yourself an amazing deal. The breakfast place never ran out of items, the lady in-charge did a great job replenishing everything, the breakfast room has only glass windows along one wall over-looking the river leaving you refreshed off to an awesome start!
My initial concern about noise was quite in vain as by the end of each day w would be so drained nothing could keep us up, kids included! The front desk staff very welcoming, accommodating and friendly!It's at a perfect walking distance to the Gatlinburg strip. We were so comfortable we extended our vacation and stayed an extra night.
For all those complaining, you really need to stop expecting 5-star hotel services when you're not paying for one!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank ZRZK
Jetta H, Manager at Baymont Inn & Suites Gatlinburg On The River, responded to this review, 9 April 2013
Thank you for staying with us at Comfort Inn. It's always great to hear positive feedback from our guests, so thank you again for taking the time to write your review. We'll keep up the good work, and we hope you keep us in mind the next time you are staying in the area. Have a nice day!
Chattanooga, Tennessee, United States
Reviewed 24 March 2013

From the moment I walked into the lobby, the Staff at the Comfort Inn on the River made me feel so at home. I work in a 4 star hotel, so I know what top tier service should be like, and I honestly didn't expect to receive it at this hotel. I was pleasantly surprised. Upon arrival, Mary checked me in and was quick, courteous, and knowledgeable. She even called up to our room about 30 minutes after check in to make sure everything was okay. The room itself was much nicer than I expected. The Jacuzzi was much bigger than I anticipated, the bed was comfortable and clean, the balcony was quiet and serene, and we even had a fireplace. Staff were quick and responsive when I requested extra towels, and the breakfast selection and quality was fantastic! They had biscuits, gravy, sausage, eggs, waffles, bagels, muffins, and cereal. Again, I was pleasantly surprised. My only negatives about this hotel were that there was no conditioner provided (I didn't bring my own anticipating they would provide it), and for the price I paid per night, the room was quite a trek from the Parkway strip. Otherwise, stay at this hotel. It's lovely and you won't find better service.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Amanda Leigh H
Thank you for visiting us here in the Smoky Mountains. I'm glad to hear you had such a pleasant experience here at Comfort Inn. We try our best to make our guests feel right at home, and we truly appreciate it when guests take the time to thank us by posting a review of their stay. I hope you have a wonderful day, and we're looking forward to seeing you again soon.
Reviewed 8 March 2013

Only complaint is the construction going on across the street, other than that the room was great, loved the jacuzzi in the room , central location close to all of the attractions that I liked. Hot breakfast was good, rooms were clean.

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank kcollier23
Hello. Thank you so much for staying with us at Comfort Inn, and thank you for taking the time to post your review. I'm happy you had such a nice stay in Gatlinburg, and you'll be relieved to know the construction will be complete in just a few short days. Thanks again, and we hope to see you again in the future!