“Beautiful, elegant hotel. And the view? You've got to see it to believe it!”

Park Vista - DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel - Gatlinburg
Ranked #12 of 78 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Zeeland, Michigan
“Beautiful, elegant hotel. And the view? You've got to see it to believe it!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2011

Okay, ya' want an honest, objective opinion of this place? I was cautious at first after my wife said she saw a site online that didn't give it a real high rating. So I started researching, because over the last 23 years I had been going to Gatlinburg, I had always been intrigued by the hotel up on the mountain, though I had never even driven up to it. I began to read reviews. I read tons of them. Most were favorable. There were some reasonable sounding concerns (most of them pre-renovation). There were a few scathing ones, but as thick as those people laid it on, they would've found fault with the Ritz Carlton. (Ya' gotta' read the "agenda" between the lines.) As I read I learned about the $11 million renovation that had taken place last year. I also noticed that on Trip Advisor, Jackelyn Schafer, the general manager of the Park Vista, responded to every review, good or bad. That impressed me. So I called Jackelyn, and asked her to tell me about her hotel. I asked a lot of questions. We had a very nice conversation, and based on what she told me, we decided to give Park Vista a try.

Let me say first that you know how oftentimes pictures of somewhere look so good that when you see the real thing, it's a letdown? Not at all with the Park Vista. Look at the photo gallery on their website. The place is just as beautiful as the pictures. The building is an attraction unto itself, with its open 15 floor cylindrical design and 3 glass elevators. The woodwork is gorgeous. The pool area is huge, with 3 different pools, 2 waterslides, a large hot tub, and several trees inside. And the pool towels were large, thick, and fresh out of the warmer! We stayed in a king bed family suite, 12th floor, city view. Exactly what we had requested. The view was amazing. It was so quiet and peaceful up there. The new furniture in the room was very rich and luxurious. The designers went out of there way to use expensive furnishings like stainless steel soap and shampoo trays, a stainless steel bow shower curtain rod, and heavy, antiqued bronze steel towel hooks. And the bed, I kid you not, was the most comfortable hotel bed I have ever slept in, bar none. A Doubletree signature, I am told.
Now, the place isn't perfect. Yet. They're still working on a few things. A couple of the overhead light covers in the pool area were missing. Jackelyn told me they have the new ones on site. I'm a maintenence man. I understand things take time. We were there the day the water went off. I could complain about that, but at 7:00 am when I discovered it, I called the front desk and the lady said it was a problem with the city water system, and they assured her it would be back on in a few minutes. It was. Hey, stuff happens. I could make a fuss about the confusion caused by them mistaking my debit card for a credit card in my reservation transaction, but I won't. Because John in the office straightened things out, and was extremely nice and helpful. I could gripe that the first night my wife and I went down to Fireflys bar to have a quiet drink, only to find it full of noisy conventioners unwinding after their day, but I won't. They had just as much right to be there as us, and it's not like there weren't plenty of other quiet hideaways in that huge place. And the second night the convention was over and Fireflys was almost deserted, and we had a wonderful time sipping white russians outside around the firepit. Oh, one more thing. The breakfast in the restaurant was delicious. Bacon, eggs, sausage, potatoes, biscuits and gravy, pancakes, waffles, and the made to order omelette, made right in front of me, was wonderful.

Was it a good value? You bet! What else can I say? If you like big crowds, stay down on the strip. But if you prefer a quiet retreat away from the fray, with all the amenities you could possibly want (and incredible beds), The Park Vista is it. We have found our new Gatlinburg destination. We will stay here again and again and again. The hotel is gorgeous, the staff is very outgoing and helpful, and the view.....well, you've got to see it to believe it!

Room Tip: Both sides have mountain views.
1 Thank ksimmons001

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (625)
LEXINGTON
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2011

Our family stayed at the Park Vista for spring break. It was awesome. From the time that we arrived on Monday afternoon until we left on Friday afternoon our stay was excellent. The lobby, bar, and rstaurant areas that we saw at check in are just beautful and the chocolate chip cookies that we each received upon check in were a very pleasant surprise. Our children were ready to hit the pool before we finished unpacking. Needless to say, they stayed in the pool almost all day everyday. The breakfast buffett is great as well as other meals that we ate in the restaurant. The area overlooking the pool was great for my husband and me to be able to eat breakfast and lunch and still watch the children at the pool. The fitness center is great too - again - we were able to see the children in the pool as we walked on the treadmill or worked out. Parrish the resturant manager is top notch! The fire pit and patio are very relaxing after a day of walking and site seeing in Gatlinburg and Pigeon Foge. The rooms are very nice and the beds and all the pillows are wonderful. The views are breathtaking! We had a city view but were able to get great pics of the mountains as well. The children loved playing in the outdoor play area; and the garden was just beautiful. My brother and his family were there the same week staying at another hotel. They brought their children up to the Park Vista our last night there so our children could hang out together at the pool. He and his wife were very disappointed that they had payed much more for their hotel and it wasn't nearly as nice. They said they will be staying at the Park Vista on their next trip to Gatlinburg; and I know we will. Thanks Jennifer (Double Tree reservation supervisor).

Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2011

Okay, let me start by saying that, pre-renovations I would give the hotel 2 stars. But I stayed with my family in April and WOW. They really turned the place around! The grill improved a lot too! The new entry way and paint job make it look brand new, compared to the old white. The room was simple yet gorgeous, and the view was breathtaking! Not a very long drive to the parkway either. Overall, I recommend you stay here.

Burlington, Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2011

The people here are SO SO Nice. The pool area is simply amazing, make sure you have time to do some swimming, I promise you will not regret it. The views from the rooms are so breath taking. The only down side we had was the evening service at the restaurant wasn't that great. We ended up leaving and going down into town.

Room Tip: Sometimes they have good deals on travels sites!
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Louisville, Kentucky
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2011

My family and I planned and prepaid for a city view room. The details were that I couldnt make any changes or I would loose my money however when I get there they informed me that the rooms were full and I would have to take a room on the mountain side. I stated I woudld be ok with that as long as I did not have to look at the conventions center. There is a huge turbine attached to that side that is so loud you cannot enjoy your balcany and the first night we got a room on the 8the floor, you could still hear the turbin inside while trying to sleep. The next day I asked for a room change away from this so they took us to the 15th floor and I asked again will I be hearing this turbine sice again no city view room available. I was assured that it was to high up to hear. I hate to inform them but it is not to high up. Had I wanted to listed to this noise I would have stayed in ttown and listened to the road traffic.

Next, The Pool, while it is great for kids the chlorine level is entirely too high. My kids both nights after swimming were sick due to ingesting. the slid is dangerous. the pool itself isn't deep enough. There werre little ones playing right next to the slide entrance into the pool and getting slammed on by others comming down the slide.

Finally the water was shut off around 2ish in the morning and not back on till around 7ish. No water no nothin.

After all of this there was no offer of refund etc.. just a room change that did not solve the problem.

The overall hotel was nice but I honestly would have saved a few bucks and stayed elsewear closer to town.

5 Thank WidmanFamily
GMParkvista, General Manager at Park Vista - DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel - Gatlinburg, responded to this review, 25 April 2011
Dear Widman Family;

Thank you for staying with us, please accept my apology for your inconveniences with the noise. We have recently replaced our older cooling tower system with a new system. We will certainly look into ways that we might be able to muffle the noise from this system. The pool chemicals are dispensed automatically from a system provided by EcoLab. If the system has any type of malfunction we are notified immediately. I am not aware of any malfunctions during your stay however we will certainly check our system again. We also take manual readings twice per day to assure our guests comfort is not compromised.

We hope that you will visit with us again. Please be assured we will research your concerns and look for solutions for a future problem free stay.
Jackelyn Schafer - General Manager
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2011

The Park Vista hotel is a must-stay. Being newly remodeled, the hotel has many amenities to offer. From flat screens in the bedrooms, to the amazing pool; i definitey want to return. The pool is very family oriented, and the rooms are cery clean. The hotel lobby has a lounge provided with free wifi. The staff is kind, and free cookies are provided upon check-in. I definitely reccomend this hotel. Whether its a business trip or a family vacation, stay at the Park Vista.

• Stayed April 2011
Grand Rapids, MI
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2011

The Park Vista hotel has been beautifully renovated and the rooms are spacious. We loved the location which is off the strip an up into the mountains which afforded us both beautiful views and the ability to be a little away from it all. The rooms are clean, nicely appointed and are nice size hotel rooms. Access to the National Park with hiking paths and the Roaring Fork Motor Scenic tour are just down the hill. The city trolley comes to the hotel if you don't feel like driving into town and hassling with parking. The lobby has many areas to sit and relax and has computers available for free.

What would make it better? Free coffee service in the lobby in the morning (instead of paying $2 a cup at the restaurant, and an available concierge to help with day planning, restaurant choice, etc. and free internet in the rooms (although is free in the lobby).