“Great Experience”

Ranked #16 of 78 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Virginia
“Great Experience”
Reviewed 18 June 2011

I use Trip Advisor for honest reviews, so I offer one here as well. Having traveled to Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg once prior, I did some research and was leaning towards the Park Vista. I reviewed the multiple reviews and noticed that the General Manager, Ms. Schaffer responded to most reviews both good and bad, and one reviewer had mentioned that he had spoken to her prior to making reservations.

I was in town for a conference, but had taken my wife and 8 year old son and was looking to make it a working vacation. For us, the Gatlinburg area suites us better than Pigeon Forge, and with an active 8 year old, the indoor pool with water slides was a big consideration. Prior to making a reservation I sent GM Ms. Schaffer an email with a few questions, and received a response the very same day. It may sound silly, but one issue that is a factor for us is the water temperature of the pool. We have traveled a lot, and nothing is worse than a pool that is too cold to use and can spoil the trip for a child.

Now the review; The hotel itself is very well maintained and visually impressive for the area. The entry way and rooms have been upgraded with new fixtures, carpet, granite, etc. The rooms have a refrigerator, and there is a community microwave on each floor. The room was clean, and well decorated. The lobby is well kept, and for the most part every employee we dealt with was pleasant. During our 7 day stay, we had the AC in the room malfunction and maintenance fixed the same day although we were given the opportunity to change rooms if we desired.

The pool area is fantastic and made the trip for our child. The water is as advertised at 82 degrees, and with two pools and two slides, made the stay for us. We spent approximately 4 hours a day in the pool with our son. Take a look at the pictures on their site which are accurate.

The hotel is located at the far end of Gatlinburg near the National Park. If you have never been to the area, there is a shuttle available ($2 a day, all day passes at desk) that will take you through the area and has a scheduled stop every 15-30 minutes at the hotel. To be honest, the area is not that large, parking is available ($5 -$8 a day) and once in town you could walk the whole area with no problem. Walking from the hotel is sketchy as there is fairly long hill with a very narrow road and switchbacks from the hotel to available sidewalks.

It was a great stay and when I return to Gatlinburg will be at the top of my list.

I have only one complaint about the our stay and the property and hope that it is reviewed and corrected, as it is apparent that management is working very hard to provide a great experience. The actual pool area itself is not as clean as the rest of the hotel. We observed the same used band aids, wax ear plugs, bands, etc. that were left by the hot tub, and the pool area for 7 days and were never cleaned. In addition there was a large amount of hair in the pool itself. Believe me there were times that the pools were full with kids, and granted it would be nice if guests cleaned up after themselves but they did not. We were in the pool at multiple times in the a.m. and p.m. and saw the area being serviced/clean, however not one time did we see staff address those areas. If the hotel would only devote the same initiative to the pool area as the rest of the property the stay would have been perfection.

I do recommend this property and will stay here again when we return.

Room Tip: Online advance rates are the lowest
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
GMParkvista, General Manager at Park Vista - DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel - Gatlinburg, responded to this review, 22 June 2011
Dear ukrockhunter;
Thank you for staying with us and sharing your experience. I do try to answer as many reviews as possible as well as answer emails in a timely manner. It is my pleasure to assist our guests in any way possible. Some times what might seem like a small question to some can be a major concern to others. It is my goal to be sure our guests enjoy every aspect of their stay. Your concerns with our pool area have already been addressed and increased visits by our staff members will help in this area.
Again it was my pleasure to answer your questions and I am glad you enjoyed your stay.
Jackelyn Schafer

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (644)
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 15 June 2011

This hotel was very nice and not too expensive. The indoor pool area is very cool and unique. If we go back to Gatlinburg we would definitely stay there again. The beds were very comfortable.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Beijing, China
Reviewed 13 June 2011

Stayed here for a business trip. Like the location off the strip and away from traffic. Room was fine, views were great. Air conditioner in room VERY loud to the point of interfering with sleep.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
Cherokee, North Carolina
Reviewed 11 June 2011

The overall look of the place is quite beautiful, but it's the more closer look that you start seeing the flaws of this place. I went to turn my bed up one morning, since we really didn't need housekeeping, and a live roach was in the bed that I had just slept in! Housekeeping left a note that said "Sorry" and gave me a chocolate bear. What a joke! The pool area used to be so enjoyable, as it was deep on one end and shallower on the other, now it has been reduced to a "kiddie" pool area with water slides, etc. While in the hot tub, my husband threw a pool noodle in with me, I picked it up and there was a live baby roach on it, and it had just been floating in the pool! There was puke at the top of the stairs coming out of the pool. I started looking closer after this and saw dead roaches everywhere, and scum floating in the hot tub that I was sitting in! Disgusting! Plus since they have joined with Hilton/Doubletree their rates have went sky high! I was supposed to be charged a senior citizen's discount, which I received for one night, but was charged full price for the other? If they can clean this place back up, and adjust their rates, I would again stay there, but unfortunately, I probably never will again, and I have stayed there every year for 10 to 12 years now. I really don't enjoy sleeping with roaches and being charged amounts that I shouldn't be.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
12 Thank Tsisquohi
GMParkvista, General Manager at Park Vista - DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel - Gatlinburg, responded to this review, 15 June 2011
Dear Tsisquohi;
Thank you for speaking with me on the phone this evening. I again apologize for your disappointing stay.
If I might try to address some of your concerns:
We have minimized the depth of our upper pool from the previous 11 feet to a now maximum 5 ft. This was done for the overall increased safety of guests of all ages.
Part of the beauty of our location is the views of the National Park; however along with that beauty comes some added challenges. We have always had a professional exterminator under contract. Due to our proximity to the Park certain times of the year such as spring we do increase their service visits. It is our goal to provide a clean and inviting hotel for all of our guests.
Thank you again for taking my call this evening.
Cincinnati
Reviewed 9 June 2011

My fiance and I spent Memorial Day weekend in Gatlinburg. We wanted a place close to the downtown area but not right on top of things. Park Vista fit the bill perfectly. The hotel sits atop the hill overlooking the downtown area. A trolly ride is the way to go, however, if you choose to park the drive back is not far.

Rooms were very clean and housekeeping services didn't seem to be delayed during this busy time.

The front desk staff seemed to be a bit overwhelmed and understaffed. This caused some delays in the gift shop and just the general answering of questions. By the way, do your own research on the trolly as they could provide little information on its operation or schedule.

Overall it was a great stay and we will definitely stay here when we visit Gatlinburg.

• Stayed June 2011
Dear MRJKY:
Thank you for staying with us, we appreciate your visit.
The trolley service is operated by the City of Gatlinburg and makes continuous loops around the city. There are several stops throughout the town for your convenience.
Due to our location away from the main street we have added a monitor to our lobby area where you can track when the next trolley will be arriving at the hotel.
There are two routes that service the hotel, the green route and the red route. The monitor has proven to be a great benefit for our guests.
I hope you will return to visit with us again soon and find this addition to be helpful.
Crestwood, Illinois
Reviewed 8 June 2011

My husband and I enjoyed staying at the Park Vista for our honeymoon in the Smokeys. The view from our mountain view room was amazing, the balconies aren't big enough to sit out on but that didn't diminish from the breathtaking sight of the mountains every morning. The pool was very nice the kids in the hotel seemed to enjoy the waterslides which were positioned in a perfect way to allow me to do my (short) laps without having to worry about getting in anyones way. The grounds were very nice & the trolley stop right out front was fantastic. They have a really nice sitting area outside so even the one time we had just missed the trolley & had to wait became an enjoyable experience. The one thing I would say is I wish the wi-fi was free in the rooms & that the rooms had a microwave. The hotel has free pc's in the lobby & a microwave by each floors vending area so that was nice but being on our honeymoon it would have been nice if we didn't have to leave the room for either of those. Overall very nice place & well worth the price.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Heather1124
GMParkvista, General Manager at Park Vista - DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel - Gatlinburg, responded to this review, 10 June 2011
Dear Heather11;

CONGRATULATIONS on your marriage, we do wish you many happy years together! Thank you for choosing The Park Vista for your honeymoon. We are always happy to play a small part in such a wonderful occasion with our guests. Hope to see you when you are celebrating your 1st anniversary and other special events through the years.
omaha
Reviewed 5 June 2011

I booked here based in part on Trip Advisor reviews.We didn't want to be in the downtown area of town, we wanted quiet and out of the way. The place is lovely, recently remodeled, good sized room, nice pool area, decent restaurant with good breakfast buffet and pretty good dinner (ate there 1 night) nice bar area. Trolley stops right at the door. The only thing that made it less than great was the beds - they must not have replaced them during the remodel. We had 2 queens in our room, my daughter in one and husband and myself in the other. Daughter slept fine but 2 adults on a soft mattress was not comfortable, we were there 3 nights and don't think we could have slept on the bed any more. Would stay here again but with differnt bed arrangement. Thought the price was good for the quality of property.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family