“Average as compared to other hotels in Gatlinburg - bad compared to Double Tree standards”

Park Vista - DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel - Gatlinburg
Ranked #14 of 78 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Reviewed 20 June 2011

When the best you can do is average, you have a problem. When average beats out the substandard hotel scene which is Gatlinburg, TN - you have it made.
The hotel is nestled in the smokies and offers incredibly views, has lovely rooms and a great childrens pool area &the prime rib is amazing.
Unfortunately the hotel goes downhill in every other area imaginable. The staff and management are to put it nicely, unkept/ unprofessional and on a good/ bad note they accept bribes quite readily. These people are a notch above their competition based solely on their retention of teeth.
Examples:
When checking in I was unable to communicate with the front desk clerk who did not understand the words retainer/ hold/ bond etc. It was a mess.

We ordered and paid for our room a week in advance requesting that our friends be in proximity of our room - their idea of proximity was putting these friends directly below our room - they saw no variance in their effort and our request.

When our friend went to the front desk to find another room on our floor they were promptly upgraded and slipped a room that goes for up to $100 more than what they paid - next time I'll reserve the room at the hotel and bring cash for bribes.

On the plus side:
We were able to see a wedding party which included a Wayne Newton and Ashley Judd impersonators, not as entertainment but in the role of groom and daughter of the bride - hilarious.
I have not seen this many rhinestone encrusted butts since the early 1980's bedazzler's popularity.
Doubletree cookies make up for a multitude of errors and as I stated earlier, this is the best hotel the city has - so it is pretty much downhill (and a steep one at that) from here!

Room Tip: Book on orbitz and upgrade with cash at the hotel.
6  Thank dfelt01
GMParkvista, General Manager at Park Vista - DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel - Gatlinburg, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2011

Dear dfelt01;

Thank you for visiting us, I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with The Park Vista or the city of Gatlinburg.
Jackelyn Schafer

There are newer reviews for Park Vista - DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel - Gatlinburg

Reviewed 18 June 2011

Hotel is very nice (esp. for Gatlinburg), and is on par with standard HIlton that can be found in most downtowns. Children loved the pool, and it was a highlight of the trip. Does have a few areas that need improvement. It rained one night, and the hotel restaurant was clearlly not equipped to handle the extra guests eating in the hotel. Our rooms air conditioner was very loud, and would occasionally kick on, even when we turned it off. Previous reviews regarding staff are correct. Some staff were extremely friendly and helpful, but the nightime front desk had a negative attitude. At check in, the hotel gave out fantastic cookies. We asked for cookies for the kids the following night, and received them, but with a lot of negative attitude from the front desk staff. Most upscale hotels have free cookies at night, and we really couldn't tell if the cookies are just a perk when you check in, or are availble everynight. If they were just a perk at check in, we would have completely understood, but the staff should just tell that to the guest instead giving them out with a rude attitude.

Room Tip: Low floors have free lobby internet.
2  Thank familytravelor2010

Dear familytravelor2010;

Thank you so much for staying with us. Our cookies are delicious, I agree. They are meant as a nice way to extend a warm welcome upon your arrival. However you should have never experienced a negative attitude at any point in your stay, including your request for another cookie. Thank you again for staying with us and sharing your experience, your service concerns will certainly be addressed.

Travel safely,

Reviewed 18 June 2011

I use Trip Advisor for honest reviews, so I offer one here as well. Having traveled to Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg once prior, I did some research and was leaning towards the Park Vista. I reviewed the multiple reviews and noticed that the General Manager, Ms. Schaffer responded to most reviews both good and bad, and one reviewer had mentioned that he had spoken to her prior to making reservations.

I was in town for a conference, but had taken my wife and 8 year old son and was looking to make it a working vacation. For us, the Gatlinburg area suites us better than Pigeon Forge, and with an active 8 year old, the indoor pool with water slides was a big consideration. Prior to making a reservation I sent GM Ms. Schaffer an email with a few questions, and received a response the very same day. It may sound silly, but one issue that is a factor for us is the water temperature of the pool. We have traveled a lot, and nothing is worse than a pool that is too cold to use and can spoil the trip for a child.

Now the review; The hotel itself is very well maintained and visually impressive for the area. The entry way and rooms have been upgraded with new fixtures, carpet, granite, etc. The rooms have a refrigerator, and there is a community microwave on each floor. The room was clean, and well decorated. The lobby is well kept, and for the most part every employee we dealt with was pleasant. During our 7 day stay, we had the AC in the room malfunction and maintenance fixed the same day although we were given the opportunity to change rooms if we desired.

The pool area is fantastic and made the trip for our child. The water is as advertised at 82 degrees, and with two pools and two slides, made the stay for us. We spent approximately 4 hours a day in the pool with our son. Take a look at the pictures on their site which are accurate.

The hotel is located at the far end of Gatlinburg near the National Park. If you have never been to the area, there is a shuttle available ($2 a day, all day passes at desk) that will take you through the area and has a scheduled stop every 15-30 minutes at the hotel. To be honest, the area is not that large, parking is available ($5 -$8 a day) and once in town you could walk the whole area with no problem. Walking from the hotel is sketchy as there is fairly long hill with a very narrow road and switchbacks from the hotel to available sidewalks.

It was a great stay and when I return to Gatlinburg will be at the top of my list.

I have only one complaint about the our stay and the property and hope that it is reviewed and corrected, as it is apparent that management is working very hard to provide a great experience. The actual pool area itself is not as clean as the rest of the hotel. We observed the same used band aids, wax ear plugs, bands, etc. that were left by the hot tub, and the pool area for 7 days and were never cleaned. In addition there was a large amount of hair in the pool itself. Believe me there were times that the pools were full with kids, and granted it would be nice if guests cleaned up after themselves but they did not. We were in the pool at multiple times in the a.m. and p.m. and saw the area being serviced/clean, however not one time did we see staff address those areas. If the hotel would only devote the same initiative to the pool area as the rest of the property the stay would have been perfection.

I do recommend this property and will stay here again when we return.

Room Tip: Online advance rates are the lowest

Dear ukrockhunter;
Thank you for staying with us and sharing your experience. I do try to answer as many reviews as possible as well as answer emails in a timely manner. It is my pleasure to assist our guests in any way possible. Some times what might seem like a small question to some can be a major concern to others. It is my goal to be sure our guests enjoy every aspect of their stay. Your concerns with our pool area have already been addressed and increased visits by our staff members will help in this area.
Again it was my pleasure to answer your questions and I am glad you enjoyed your stay.

Reviewed 15 June 2011

This hotel was very nice and not too expensive. The indoor pool area is very cool and unique. If we go back to Gatlinburg we would definitely stay there again. The beds were very comfortable.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 June 2011

Stayed here for a business trip. Like the location off the strip and away from traffic. Room was fine, views were great. Air conditioner in room VERY loud to the point of interfering with sleep.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 June 2011

The overall look of the place is quite beautiful, but it's the more closer look that you start seeing the flaws of this place. I went to turn my bed up one morning, since we really didn't need housekeeping, and a live roach was in the bed that I had just slept in! Housekeeping left a note that said "Sorry" and gave me a chocolate bear. What a joke! The pool area used to be so enjoyable, as it was deep on one end and shallower on the other, now it has been reduced to a "kiddie" pool area with water slides, etc. While in the hot tub, my husband threw a pool noodle in with me, I picked it up and there was a live baby roach on it, and it had just been floating in the pool! There was puke at the top of the stairs coming out of the pool. I started looking closer after this and saw dead roaches everywhere, and scum floating in the hot tub that I was sitting in! Disgusting! Plus since they have joined with Hilton/Doubletree their rates have went sky high! I was supposed to be charged a senior citizen's discount, which I received for one night, but was charged full price for the other? If they can clean this place back up, and adjust their rates, I would again stay there, but unfortunately, I probably never will again, and I have stayed there every year for 10 to 12 years now. I really don't enjoy sleeping with roaches and being charged amounts that I shouldn't be.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
12  Thank Tsisquohi
GMParkvista, General Manager at Park Vista - DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel - Gatlinburg, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2011

Dear Tsisquohi;
Thank you for speaking with me on the phone this evening. I again apologize for your disappointing stay.
If I might try to address some of your concerns:
We have minimized the depth of our upper pool from the previous 11 feet to a now maximum 5 ft. This was done for the overall increased safety of guests of all ages.
Part of the beauty of our location is the views of the National Park; however along with that beauty comes some added challenges. We have always had a professional exterminator under contract. Due to our proximity to the Park certain times of the year such as spring we do increase their service visits. It is our goal to provide a clean and inviting hotel for all of our guests.
Thank you again for taking my call this evening.

Reviewed 9 June 2011

My fiance and I spent Memorial Day weekend in Gatlinburg. We wanted a place close to the downtown area but not right on top of things. Park Vista fit the bill perfectly. The hotel sits atop the hill overlooking the downtown area. A trolly ride is the way to go, however, if you choose to park the drive back is not far.

Rooms were very clean and housekeeping services didn't seem to be delayed during this busy time.

The front desk staff seemed to be a bit overwhelmed and understaffed. This caused some delays in the gift shop and just the general answering of questions. By the way, do your own research on the trolly as they could provide little information on its operation or schedule.

Overall it was a great stay and we will definitely stay here when we visit Gatlinburg.

• Stayed: June 2011

Dear MRJKY:
Thank you for staying with us, we appreciate your visit.
The trolley service is operated by the City of Gatlinburg and makes continuous loops around the city. There are several stops throughout the town for your convenience.
Due to our location away from the main street we have added a monitor to our lobby area where you can track when the next trolley will be arriving at the hotel.
There are two routes that service the hotel, the green route and the red route. The monitor has proven to be a great benefit for our guests.
I hope you will return to visit with us again soon and find this addition to be helpful.