“Pleasantly surprised” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #13 of 78 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Atlanta, GA
“Pleasantly surprised”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2008

After a day of hiking and sightseeing in the Great Smoky Mountain National Park, my family and I drove into Gatlinburg, TN looking for dinner and a place to stay for the night. Driving around we saw Park Vista up on the mountain overlooking Gatlinburg. I told my husband we should check it out, for the view from up there had to be spectacular. We pulled up and I was impressed with Park Vista's beautiful and inviting lobby (the kids loved riding up in the glass elevators overlooking the atrium). We got a two-queen-bed room on the 14th floor overlooking Gatlinburg. The room was nicely decorated and up-to-date, and the bathroom was very clean. (And there were plenty of extra pillows--always appreciated when traveling with children!) My husband and I enjoyed sitting out on the balcony and the view of Gatlinburg at night after the kids went to sleep.

We ate dinner and breakfast at the hotel and found that the food was good. Nothing fancy, but good for what we were looking for and convenient for our family. The breakfast buffet was $2.99 per kid not including drinks, which seemed like a good deal for a hotel restaurant. There was a breakfast buffet coupon included with our room when we checked in--$2 off per adult, so we took advantage of that as well.

The grounds around the hotel are beautifully landscaped and include a playground that our kids enjoyed. Overall we had a very positive experience and would recommend Park Vista to others. Just one thing I would warn about: the driveway up to the hotel is quite steep, so make sure your brakes are in good order!

• Liked — spectacular view
  • Disliked — steep incline to get to and from the hotel
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank jasmine_n_grits

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (622)
naples
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2008

We payed $149 a night this includes all the differant taxes. The place is out dated and dirty. The food sucks too. Example of how clean it is; we took a clean wash cloth and rubbed it on our rooms carpet in a low traffic area and it turned up black, why did we do this well we had to wash our feet before we went to bed! When I confronted the front desk with the wash cloth they had nothing to say. When we returned home after about two weeks we did get a letter from them with certificate for one free nights stay. I sent them a letter in return along with their certificate thanks but know thanks. I told them the qaulity of the room was 30-40% below what we payed, I also told them if I did not here anything back that my next step was a trip adviser post ,well almost 4 months later here is my post.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
5 Thank brylin
Tennessee
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2008

This is actually a beautiful hotel from far away, but looks are deceiving from afar. The lobby is beautiful, but the rooms are at best average. When I found out my company was sending me to Gatlinburg for a conference, I was stoked! When I got to the hotel to check-in, I found the guys at the front desk to be totally rude and useless. A monkey could have done a better job of checking people in and maintained a better attitude while doing so. When I did finally get into my room, I noticed that I had stayed in Days Inns that were in better condition than the room. I went to check my emails, only to discover that I had to pay an additional 9.95 a day for internet service. This was the straw that broke the camel's back. Come on! What hotel doesn't at least have a WI-FI connection? I noticed on the way to the hotel that the Econo Lodge up the street had one. About the best thing I can say about this hotel was the view from the balcony was AMAZING! I recommend choosing another hotel.

• Stayed September 2008, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Lovely_DayTennessee
North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2008

From the pictures on Park Vista's website, we booked the room. When we arrived, it was not what I expected. It was much nicer! The lobby was just beautiful, and I loved the clear elevators. The desk clerks were courteous and kind, and very knowledgable and helpful. Our room, on the 6th floor, was way beyond what we had expected. It was very neat and clean, with a beautiful view. This was by far, the nicest hotel we have ever stayed at. Even the hallways had beautiful views!! All I can say is, we have found the hotel where we will be staying at every year from now on.

• Liked — The clean rooms, the beautiful lobby, and the great breakfast in the hotel restaurant.
  • Disliked — There was nothing I didn't LOVE!!!
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
Smithland, Ky.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2008

Prior to what others with a bad review has said, my husband, my children, and myself had a wonderful stay! There was a little altercation at check-in with one of the front desk men, but Laura was wonderful! She took care of everything perfectly! My only other complaint is that we stayed on the 15th floor (our request) and I didn't like the locks on the balcony door, or the regular door because we had very small children a 4 year old and a 14 month old but im sure most people with young children stay on the bottom floors. I do think they should have better child proof locks on every room though! Other than that our room was in order, nice, smelled fine, and everything seemed to work just fine! We had a view of the city and the mountains and you couldnt ask for a better view! It was awsome! We will be returning in the future and hope to get the same room as this trip. My only other complaint is that the people on the 12th or 13th floor was throwing things, spitting, and flipping ciggs. off the balcony onto other people, including my husband. Two lit ciggs. came flying at him. Other than those little quirks everything was really nice! And the view is Just Absolutly Beautiful! We ate at Elonor's on our last morning there and they had good pancakes, bacon, sausage, and biscuts and gravy. We did not use the pool but we did visit it a couple times and it looked nice, the clorine did smell strong, but at least it was clean. We didnt get the privalage to visit Franklins with the children being with us, but we wanted to! There were a couple bears out there on our stay but we didnt see them. The play yard was nice for the kids, and the gardens were very pretty. We had a bell hop guy by the name of Steve and he was a big help. He knew alot about the place, and alot about gatlinburg itself. We can't wait to return next fall! Maybe without the Children this time Have one of those Romantic Getaways! We actually left another hotel to come to this one and made a great choice in doing so! Thanks Park Vista for a Great Stay!

• Liked — The Breathtaking View
  • Disliked — The doors without childproof locks, and The confrontation at the front desk upon arrival
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank ssdlh08
Russellville, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2008

Very nice place. Rooms could use a little updating, but it was very clean. Reasonably priced and the view of the Great Smokey Mountains was priceless.

• Stayed September 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank jimdogTn
delaware
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2008

We booked 3 nights on Expedia. First mistake...
Lobby was impressive, albeit very dark.

* Be warned !!!! Do NOT sign the early cancellation notice the check in desk pushes at you. It states you must pay $25 penalty /per night cancelled early. RED FLAG.

I requested to look at room before commiting to specific one. Was struck by all the round stains all over the carpets in the foyer. Honestly, there must have been hundreds. Since this place is pet friendly (of which I have 2 -left at home with sitter) they looked like pee stains.Room smelled awful, like mold and death.
With 3 kids in tow, I went to office and requested another room. They offered me their "last" room available which was on 7th floor. I said "no go" as I expressely told expedia 3rd floor or lower. Long story short, they told us we would have to deal with expedia since we booked with them. They refused to refund our money or accomodate us beyond the "last" room available.

Note: I walked away in disgust with $250 invested in this stinkhole. During that time my kids went to look at the indoor pool which was foul. My teen stepped in feces. This was too much. After alerting the janitor, we left immediately in complete disgust. We ended up staying at the Best Western. Soooo much nicer and cleaner.
Fortunately our credit card company removed the charges. No questions asked.

***Also...Do NOT book through Expedia. We lucked out with our card company, but would have otherwise been stuck. Also, expedia never sent our booking incentive gas card***

• Liked — The exit door
  • Disliked — all else
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family