“Loved the Location!”

River Terrace Resort & Convention Center
Ranked #66 of 78 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Reviewed 16 March 2012

River Terrace was not our first choice of places to stay, but it worked out beautifully! It is so convenient to everything we wanted to do! Right next door to the Aquarium, within walking distance to Ober Mountain Tram, ALL the Ripley's attractions, shops, tons of restaurants, and the river that flows along this hotel is really nice. We ate breakfast this morning at the on site restaurant. Very good and excellent value for our money. We have a family of seven--three nine year olds, two College Age and my husband and myself. Everyone was satisfied. The rooms are clean and HUGE. Older furniture and Decor. Nothing fancy. But definitely "acceptable". We have a fridge, coffee pot, blow dryer, places to hang our clothes, drawers, HOT water in the showers, plenty of towels and the place is QUIET. One day, the lady working the front desk during the day was GROUCHY, but not rude. Just not particularly friendly. Maybe a bad day? Everyone else was very sweet to us. We would stay here again.

Room Tip: We asked for two things: that we have a room near the front desk/restaurant/laundry room and that ou...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at River Terrace Resort & Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 29 September 2015

Thank you for your review. We have updated our resort since your stay and would love to have you visit us again. We hope to see you again soon.

There are newer reviews for River Terrace Resort & Convention Center

Reviewed 14 March 2012

My husband and I recieved this room as a comp for a food show at the convention center. From opening the door I knew we were in the wrong place! Let me just list a few of the bizarre things we encountered: a drop ceiling throughout, vertical blinds that didn't close without gaps, a balcony that could be shared (hence the freakout of the nonclosing blinds), no closet doors, pictures that had been wet, mismatched furniture, mattresses that collapsed when you sat on them, frame off the bathroom mirror, edge off the painted- formica-too low sink, and the fact that we could see the guests next door walking by the adjoining room door ( at least a 2 inch gap). Add to all this it was not clean! We arrived late, after 9:00, and asked if maybe an upgrade was available, they have no upgrades!!!! So to sum it up....nightmare!! Total and complete!

Room Tip: don't do it! Any rooms!
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank gc-sidelines
RTGM, General Manager at River Terrace Resort & Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2012

Dear Guest,

I truely apologize for your horrible stay at River Terrace and I would like very much to know what room you stayed. The maintenance issues you describe are unacceptable as I expect my team to stay on top of issues such as these or at least notify me if they cannot. We have been upgrading our mattresses and furniture over the past three years and all mattresses have been replaced, so this really concerns me.
If you wouldn't mind, I would like you to send me an email at: valerie_devarso@wgresorts.com and give me the room number you stayed in during your visit and any other information that comes to mind concerning this room or your stay with us.

Again, I apologize and look forward to hearing from you soon.

Valerie DeVarso
River Terrace Resort and Convention Center

Reviewed 25 February 2012

A reviewer must write without bias and without emotion but only pure facts. There are not many reviews on this site who offer a genuine review. There are those who would bash River Terrace because of false promises with third party companies, their own lack of communication, and their own lack of preparedness in communicating with everyone properly. Bear in mind situations change all the time, if you book third party you should double check everything before and after because if it is too good to be true, well sometimes it is. On with the review.

My experience: Pros
Temperature-the temperature of the room is marvelous, and you get a fireplace and a heated bathroom for extra heat if you need it or just want it.

Conjoined rooms- Any parents reading this? Then your smiling :).

Customer Service- I have never met a friendlier staff

Exceptional Maid Service- You are never without creature comforts at this hotel, with your room(at least mine did) having a kitchen with a mini fridge, microwave and coffee maker, your sure to be comfortable all the time. The maids follow the cleaning to the letter, they restock Kleenex, toilet paper, towels, free coffee, free cups, soap, and many other things to make you comfortable. At this hotel they have a policy for the staff to not touch your stuff and all you readers will be glad to know this is one Resort that sticks to that policy.

Noise level- If you ever do have a problem with the noise level see what the staff can do for you. This really depends on luck and timing really, no matter where you stay however during my stay I experienced no noise of any kind, though I really was not in my room most of the time, explained below.

Location- I did not spend much time in my room because this Resort has location! For a lot of the close things all you need to do is take a walk, depending on the time of day it can be even quicker than driving. There is really a lot to do here and even more in Pigeon Forge which is just a short drive away.

Spouse experience- My wife also had a fantastic time.

Pools!(open seasonally)- Two spacious pools, enough said.

Convention Center- You have got to love a resort with one of these, its almost like a bonus attraction in your vacation.

Wifi- You will also see this listed in my cons section, you will know why when you read it. However as a pro their convention center does have WiFi, and there is plenty of seating inside as well as vending machines, drinks, and what have you.

Ice Vending- Ever stayed at a place that charged for ice, or ice bags? I have and its downright disrespectful, there are free ice vending machines all over this place complimentary to guests.

Balcony- I do not think all rooms, but most rooms have this, I did. The view is absolutely spectacular and the sound of the rushing water is very soothing, a delightful experience. It is also pretty private, unlike some places where you can wave to your neighboor, do not like those balconies personally.

Open Lobby- Hate lobbies that have a closing time? Me too, this one is always open. There are complimentary items free to guests there also, as well as a small lounge to relax.

Their own restaurant!- This is also listed as a con, read below to find out why. However as a pro if your hungry and do not want to go far you really do not need to. This hotel has their own restaurant the Gatlinburger! A nice place to eat.

Cons- No matter how spectacular a trip you have, if you think on it you will find it was missing that certain something, so here are mine.

WiFi- Also listed as a pro, please read above. However as a con I found their WiFi to be a little slow, and only available at the Convention Center, that being said it was still a nice browsing speed and the manager said they are working on having it available anywhere.

In room trashcans- There was certainly enough of them, however the one in the kitchen was rather small for your main source of waste. I am not saying it should be much bigger but we always overflowed it, made us feel bad for the Maids.

Channels- I found it strange that a lot of the fantastic channels came in, which hey they had a really nice selection, however they did not have Disney and kids channels. I do not know if this is the same all the time or if you get more channels in the suite, however I can see where parents need this additional kind of distraction in the hotel room. So I think it is a definate Con that there are no kids channels.

The Restaurant- If I recall correctly, they do not open Mon-Wed, so your days you can go are limited. They have a decent opening time 8AM, however they do not begin serving anything even related to a lunch menu until 11AM, this definately hurts their business because their breakfest menu though good and tasty, is rather limited. All restaurants who do this hurt their business and this one is no exception. Though in most restaurants defense they do this for customer service, serving full menu in the morning would slow them down because of the variety they offer. The Gatlinburger like I said, though tasty, does not have much of a breakfest menu, so they could easily open it up. Still a nice place though, spacious dining room and excellent fireplace. Seating for a large group too if you needed.

Customer rewards- I consider this one of the best places if not the best to stay in Gatlinburg, it has it all, nestled at the foot of the mountain with breathtaking views as well superior customer service and facilities. So why no customer rewards? Some of the best hotels are the best hotels because of this. Also they have no weekly rates, which always will bolster business, it can be the difference between a one and two week stay for some people.

To Sum it Up- If you are staying in Gatlinburg this is the place to stay and it more than deserves the Five Star rating that I gave it, from the King size bed to the customer service and beyond I will definately come back time after time. I can think of no better place to stay in Gatlinburg, from the pools to the awesome customer service and the most comfortable room I have ever stayed in this is the place. They offer a variety of rooms including suites, in the end you could not ask for much more in a fantastic place to stay.

Room Tip: However you book, call before and after with all the details no matter where you stay in the entire...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank AdamRRR

Reviewed 21 February 2012

This hotel has THE best location in Gatlinburg- close to the Aquarium and Pancake Pantry - so you don't have to deal with parking on the strip. Speaking of location - you better make sure you are in the 'front' of the property/riverside - there are several buildings here and some are quite precarious with the parking, etc. If you are traveling without a big strapping man, I'd be VERY careful which building you end up in...not only that, but there would be an uphill climb involved, which detracts from the fact that you chose this hotel for convenience for walking, right? There is a nice gazebo with a grassy area and a secret walkway directly to the aqarium if you get a room in the same building as the lobby - which I'd recommend.

Now the bad. Our room was dirty, not just the cobwebs, but the sheets on both beds were filthy - something resembling blood was on them, and when we called, the male front desk clerk seemed not to believe us and came to check it out - they then got Housekeeping to come but the staff seemed reluctant about changing everything out, and seemed to want a tip for this.......really?.......and when dealing with something that resembled blood it would have been comforting for us if they had had gloves on for the dirty sheets that they then disposed of when they put on the 'clean' sheets. Not sure why hotels seem to not take health risks into consideration. Needless to say it was not a calm sleep, but we were too tired to move. The bathroom seemed clean, though having a wooden dresser in the dressing area next to a sink -- well, shows wear and tear and doesn't scream cleanliness.

Now to the decor -- it is outdated, but I found some of it quaint.......the long fireplace w/the 60's picture reminded me of a Doris Day glam movie, they added the comforts of a micro/fridge, which is helpful.....but the tv -- yes, some require a flat screen (I don't) but it was up on the wall with nothing underneath, and if pulled out from the wall - well, it's an accident waiting to happen - I wouldn't be surprised if someone was injured on this contraption. The beds need to be replaced and the linens updated, after the sheet experience, we just pulled off the old dirty bedspread. I liked the little round table and old fashioned chairs.......I just think it needed a new dresser with a small tv on top of it -- the only dresser was the chipped, and a bit dirty one in the dressing area. The dressing area was VERY nice, I'd suggest taking the carpet off the area you put shoes (looked dirty).........loved the hot heat lamp in the bathroom --why don't more places have those??? And 2 sinks is always nice, I liked the color of the vanity counter -- old fashioned, so sick of granite everywhere, so it was a nice change - but it needed refinishing.......so much potential with the 60's feel, Retro is fun, but it needs to be sparkly clean to be appreciated.

I hope this is helpful to the owners. The front desk clerk who was female refunded me a great deal due to the inconvenience we suffered and she couldn't have been nicer or more honest - she stated there were problems with Housekeeping - hopefully that has been remedied. I thought about not posting due to the refund, but as an owner, you would probably want to know, and there was so much potential here, it really could be a gem!

Room Tip: get riverside/front -- in same building as lobby is best
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank DallasPepper

Reviewed 16 January 2012

I stayed at the river terrace an it was a absolute let down, it was noisy, noisy noisy!!!!!!!!! Multiple people complained and they just said "i'm sorry" as if that helped. I've stayed there for the last 3 years but this trip was the last!!!!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank J D
RTGM, General Manager at River Terrace Resort & Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 2 February 2012

I would like to apologize for the dissappointing stay you had with us at The River Terrace Resort a couple months ago. Often, we have large groups who book with us and we have no control over the noise level they bring to our property. We would like to believe they would be on their best behavior, but, often times they are not.
I would love to have the opportunity to exceed your expectations of River Terrace, so, if you would like to give us another chance, please contact me directly at 865-436-5161 and ask for the General Manager. I will give you an idea of days the resort will be less occupied so you will be able to have a more quiet, less stressful visit.

Reviewed 8 January 2012

We booked through Expedia, and got the exact same rate that AAA and the hotel itself had for 1 night friday night stay. I book through Expedia because they have always taken good care of me when there is a problem. They guarantee your trips. We got there about 9pm and were ready to check in, get settled, and walk around downtown Gatlinburg and see the Christmas lights. The hotel, or I should say the lobby and 2 front buildings are within walking distance to the downtown area and aquarium. Well I checked in, and asked if we had a riverfront room.The hostess said,"No, you booked through expedia." I asked her what that meant. She stated that I should never book with Expedia, I should book through the hotel directly. She said that the hotel is allowed to only book certain rooms for Expedia customers and is not allowed to move them anywhere else in the facility even if it is available.(this has not been the case in my previous experiences with Expedia). I asked if I could pay to upgrade, since the hotel was obviously not full (like 5 cars in the parking lot) and she said no. I said so I am offering to pay more money and I still cant move. She said no. She got all my information, got me checked in, and then showed me where our room was. We didn't even know the hotel had this many buildings. All the pics and the website do not advertise this. We were 7 buildings back next to a "mountain view" It was a giant mountain ledge 30 feet from our Window so we were looking at the boulders. It was dark with no street lights, and there were 2 other cars in that building. We were 2 females traveling together for a girls weekend, and we didn't want to get out of the car. It was not a safe environment. I called expedia, explained the situation, and they were able to call the front desk and speak with her and she convinced her to cancel us. Expedia then found us a Fairfield Inn Marriot that was stunning, clean, well lit, and the same price. That, my dear, is why I always use Expedia!!! While we were on hold with Expedia, we went in the room, and checked it out in case they wouldn't cancel us. It was gross. Very old, very basic, old style TV, and we had like a 3x3 window of downtown area. It was ridiculous. It was clean, but I paid the exact same amount and got the Marriott. If you think you have to stay in this hotel, Book through the hotel, and make sure you ask for a River view room. That way you will be close to civilization. We won't ever be coming back to this hotel again, and I will make sure all of my friends who go to Gatlinburg for the weekend do not either. The staff could use a good inservice from a company like Disney for customer service and personality.

Room Tip: Make sure you book through the hotel directly, and get a RIVER FRONT ROOM WITH A BALCONY
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
5  Thank nikkilou10

I was very dissapointed to read this review as we strive to make sure our Guest Satisfaction is a top priority here at The River Terrace Resort and Convention Center. I apolgize for the miscommunication you received while making your reservation, but River Front rooms are not available to book through third party booking agents. This is due to the rate differences, cancellation policies, etc.
If you would like to book a River Front Room in the future, please go through our direct website, contact our Front Desk at: 865-436-5161 or you may call me directly at this same number and ask for the General Manager and I will be more than happy to assist you with your reservation plans. Again, I apologize for the events that took place during your last visit to Gatlinburg.

Reviewed 6 January 2012

stayed on new years weekend,room was clean,bath clean,room was on river that was so nice.this place is great,close to all of gatlinburg,good parking.you will enjoy this place

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple

I was very pleased to read your review and I'm happy your stay with us met your expectations. If there is anything we can do in the future to exceed your expectations, please let us know. WE look forward to seeing you again soon!