“Beware which unit you are assigned!!”

Gatlinburg Town Square Resort By Exploria Resorts
Ranked #21 of 78 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Reviewed 14 July 2012

Typical daily wake-up routine:
5 a.m. Dumpster removal
6 a.m. Supplies delivered
6:30 a.m. Loud employees taking a smoke break.

If you are in a Phase 2B studio unit (any number from 116 to 523) then you should plan on the above noise from the neighboring property. You will also enjoy a lovely view of the loading dock and back of the same property.

The unit itself was clean and reasonably well-maintained, but a little dark. (The only window faces onto the above-mentioned dumpster.)

Connecting to the WiFi was generally a waste of time. Although the signal strength was OK, the network seemed overloaded and timed out frequently.

The bed was wobbly. I suspect the metal bedframe may be beyond its prime.

Room Tip: Do not accept any room number from 116 to 123, 216 to 223, 316 to 323, 416 to 423 or 516 to 523 unle...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank MarkMHouston

Reviewed 6 July 2012

After reading some of the other reviews, I felt I had to write one myself. I have stayed at `the Square' each December for the last several years. Never had a problem. It is a studio unit- so no one should go in expecting the Taj Mahal. All staff has been more than pleasant with any dealings I have had. SOME sales staff can be a little pushy- but have always gotten the gift promised. I have stayed in worse places, and I have stayed in better- but I always keep coming back to `The Square' because of its easy location to downtown Gatlinburg ( if you don't mind the uphill walk as you head back to the unit). I think the location is what makes me keep coming back. You don't have to drive for 30 minutes to get to town, and then search/ pay for a place to park. Other timeshares may be in a more scenic location- but they can't beat the convenience. Besides- who stays in their room much when in the Smokies, and Gatlinburg? :-D

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
6  Thank jdiknt58
Reviewed 14 June 2012

DH and I stayed in a 1 BR condo in one of the Phase 2 buildings from 6/1 to 6/8/12. The condo was clean and bright w/ a nice balcony. The bed was comfortable. Only downside was not enough dressers and a small closet. But we made out fine. The complex is located about 1 and 1/2 blocks off of the Parkway, so it was great to be able to walk every where.

The offstreet free parking was a plus since it's not really fun to drive in downtown Gburg with all the people not paying attention and stepping right out in traffic (and not in the crosswalks either). I thought I was in NYC dealing with the side walk toursts a few times (lol).

Be aware this property is a Condo, not a hotel. There is no maid service during your stay. They clean the condo before you get in and when you leave for the next person. If you want clean towels you need to walked down to the laundry room on the ground floor to get them yourself. If you run out of TP or P Towels, you need to call housekeeping & pick the stuff up at the front desk.

All in all we liked it and would stay at this property again.

The pools were small but nice. The inside pool was closed for a day

Room Tip: Get a room in the Phase II buildings, they all have a mini washer and dryer in the rooms.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank karlee77
Reviewed 11 June 2012

Our family of 4 visited Gatlinburg this past week. We arrived at 3:40 pm for our 4 pm check in. Guest services were happy to take our credit card for the $59 cleaning service fee, but said the room was not ready. Ok, we'll come back at 4 pm. At 4 o'clock, the room was still not ready. It would be another 35 minutes. I asked if they could waive the cleaning fee or something else for the inconvenience. No. Can't do that. They took our phone number to call when the room was ready. We visited the decrepit pool until 5 pm and still no phone call. We had to make yet another trip a block away to check in. No apologies from the staff. Instead they acted as if we were lucky to be staying with them. The resort is run down, out dated with poor service.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
10  Thank SRJ2012
Reviewed 22 May 2012

We enjoyed our stay here. My mom and I traveled with my 2 year old. This was a good location that offered a short walk to the main road, but far enough that we didn't have any distrubances when going to bed. Unfortunately check in is not onsite, that is always a bit bothersome to me. Also, an additional cleaning fee was charged because we only stayed 2 nights. There was a nice playground on-site and lots of kid activities looked to be offered for those staying for a longer period. We stayed over the Easter weekend and there were lots of Easter events happening on-site. The room seemed clean enough, but still did not look like the pictures. Our 1 room was much smaller than expected. We will most likely stay at a different location next time. We thought we were getting a deal until we found out about the additional cleaning fee.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Pbcbrewer
Reviewed 13 May 2012

My daughter gave me a travel certificate for my birthday and we chose Town Square Gatlinburg. Upon check in there was a problem with my reservation, they could not find it. I thought oh no here we go. Come to find out they spelled my name wrong. As soon as they figured out the problem they got us our room and we were told they put us in a nice unit. The problem was rectified within 20min and she was right, it was a very nice unit. My wife has family in the area and we have stayed in everything from campgrounds, hotels, and chalets. We are very familiar with the area. The main benefit is the great location. We did not have a car and it is within easy walking distance of most of downtown Gatlinburg. We stayed in a unit overlooking the stream in the back of the resort. We would open the back doors at night and listen to the stream as we slept, very soothing. The bedroom was adequate in size, had a Jacuzzi tub, TV and plenty of room for our clothes. The kitchen is adequate it had everything you needed if you wanted to cook meals. Plenty of plates, pans, utensils, coffee maker…. There was a dining area in-between the kitchen and living room with a table and six chairs. There was a flat screen TV with HDMI port in the living room, came in handy to catch a Netflix movie on the smart phone. The unit had a gas fireplace with a switch to turn it on and off which we enjoyed. We would turn it on at night or in the morning to take the chill out. The bathroom was large with a shower and plenty of counter space. They have two pools one indoor, one out with a hot tub. Parking seemed plentiful and is onsite underground. The “resort” was clean and appeared well maintained. We stayed a week and my only complaints are wished they came in one day to clean, but might have been our fault we never inquired. The wireless internet signal was very weak and we could not connect in the unit. If you are looking for a comfortable place, with all the amenities, very nice staff and close to the action this resort might be for you. I travel frequently in and out of the county and use Tripadviser as a guide to weed through the reviews .I saw the mixed reviews before I booked. Could you nick pick this resort apart as some have? I guess. I would stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
11  Thank Coastiedic
Reviewed 13 March 2012

We have stayed at Town Square three or four times during the last ten or twelve years. We stayed in a one bedroom timeshare exchange during our most recent visit. The main benefit is the great location. It is within easy walking distance of most of downtown Gatlinburg. We stayed in a unit overlooking the stream in the back of the resort, very relaxing and nice.The bedroom is cramped and hard to maneuver. The kitchen is adequate. There is a TV in the living room and the bedroom. The unit had a gas fireplace which we enjoyed. The bathroom was good. The activities emphasized smaller children, which was expected but even so it was limited. Three days they had paid for stuffed bear building. The pools were adequate. Parking is onsite underground. Our check-in was very fast and friendly.

Room Tip: Try to get in the back overlooking the running stream. It is very pretty and the stream is relaxing...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple