Depending on what you are looking for, you may or may not like this place:
If you get energy from being around lots of people, need help staying entertained, don’t mind listening to lots of noise or participate in a long sell job - you will love this place
If you want a quiet, peaceful, relaxing retreat - don't stay here.
Over all the staff was helpful … at least as much as they could be. Everyone we talked to was friendly, but VERY rushed. Like most large corporations these days, the resort is clearly overworked and understaffed.
We had a several concerns with our stay:
- I tried to call the resort a few days before we arrived to confirm the reservation. I called 3 times. Each time I got a "Main Phone Operator" who transferred me to the front desk. Each time - no one answered the phone - I just got a voice mail box.
- When we did arrive at the resort, the lobby was very crowded & very loud - to the point that we were screaming at the reservation person just so they could hear us.
- Once we were in our room, we tried to connect to the internet but were locked out. We eventually found a card in the room indicating we could call a 1-800 to help with internet issues. When we called the number, a recording told us to make sure we had our "reservation number" and "phone extension number" - if we did not have this info, hang up and contact front desk. We tried to call the front desk 5 times throughout the day - each time we got a busy signal. We finally ended up stopping by the front desk after dinner. We talked to attendant #1 who really didn't know how to help us and referred us to attendant #2 who ended up helping attendant #1 find the required number. She then proceeded to tell us that internet will cost $5.00 a day. Really? Who charges for internet these days?
The really interesting part was once we actually connected to the internet, we found out that the connection is really $10.00 a day.
Another sad discovery was that once we connected to the internet, the connection was VERY poor. We tried to watch a movie on Netflix but the connection froze and was dropped every 10 minutes.
-The room was an average hotel room for the most part except for the noise factor. The floors and walls are VERY thin. We heard our neighbor’s TV most of the time we were in the room. One night we went to bed listening to a noise next door that sounded like a pair of shoes tumbling in a dryer. Any time someone in the rooms next to/below us shut a door, the walls would shake. We tried to keep the balcony doors open for some fresh air, but since our room was right next to the Gatlinburg Parkway the traffic noise was too loud so we had to shut the doors.
- The room clearly had not been cleaned correctly for quite some time. See attached photos of the tub. The Jacuzzi jets were covered with mold. The shower curtain had orange mold growing on it. The tub was discolored with black dirt. The tile and grout had mold also.
- The staff gets around the property on a fleet of golf carts. Not sure what the point was, but when we were loading and unloading the car, several staff members would drive by us and yell. We found this very odd and disturbing.
- If you are not already an “owner” of the resort, the main focus of the staff is to get you to become an “owner” NOT making sure you enjoy your stay. Because our reservation was a raffle prize at a fund raiser, the true owner of the time share requested that we fill out a survey so they could be refunded a deposit. The front desk did not know about this survey so they sent us to the sales office. We walked into the room and were quickly greeted by a sales rep who said they would find the survey and then disappeared to a back room. Eventually a manager came out and said they needed to know who our personal concierge was – which we did not have any knowledge of. The manager disappeared into the back room again. Eventually a third person entered the building and introduced themselves as our person concierge & wanted to give us a tour of the resort. We let the concierge know we did not have time for a tour and were leaving early for personal reasons. They did not like this answer and tried several times to get us to stay. This entire process took over 30 minutes & we ended up leaving without the survey. The sad reality was that the sales rep and manager were not trying to locate a survey – they were scrambling, trying to hook us up for a tour before we left the resort – even though they let us to believe they were trying to find the survey.
In conclusion, I am sure many people don’t mind the drawbacks of this resort but personally, for the price, renting a cabin in the woods is much more cost effective and MUCH more relaxing than renting a single hotel room here. Even though we did not actually pay for the room, we did ask about the price if we wanted to return – we were told our room (and only the room) would have been $180 for non-members and $140 for members. This price obviously does not include internet, indoor water park or many other activities available at resort.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A Prime Location in the Beautiful Great Smoky Mountains Westgate Smoky Mountain Resort & Spa in Gatlinburg, Tennessee, offers guests all the comforts of a fully furnished home, all within minutes of Great Smoky Mountains National Park - the most-visited national park in the United States - as well as Dollywood theme park and bustling downtown Gatlinburg. With easy access to a multitude of outdoor recreational opportunities and a variety of onsite amenities, including an amazing indoor/outdoor water park, your dream vacation is waiting at Westgate Smoky Mountain Resort & Spa! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Travel Republic (UK), TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Westgate Smoky Mountain Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Westgate Smoky Mountain Hotel Gatlinburg
- Westgate Smoky Mountain Resort
- Westgate Smoky Mountain Gatlinburg
- Westgate Resort Gatlinburg
- Westgate Resort Tennessee
- Westgate Tennessee
- Westgate Smokey Mountain Resort
- Gatlinburg Westgate