July 31-Aug 3
I know this is going to sound like a made-up story, its true. Pictures to verify...
When I called to make my reservation, my call was to an India call center. The "reservation specialist" only spoke broken English and I had to correct her several times. Oh well or was it a little foreshadowing of the disappointment to come.
Upon check-in, I was told that a 50 dollar hold will be put on my credit card on top of a 10 dollar a day resort fee. I have stayed in resorts all over this nation and I have never had a hold put on my card. The resort fees are for amenities that other resorts give for free like high speed wifi, local calls, fitness center and printing boarding passes. The "high speed wifi" is TERRIBLY SLOW never moved over 30kbs and a very weak signal. The free local calls aren't free, they charge you $.75 per. The "resort fee" is just another way to nickle and dime you out of your vacation money without offering anything that will be used.
When we got to the room all seemed fine, nice room on ground floor with kitchen-ette. While I unpacked, my five year old son took his shoes off and walked around the room . Within ten minutes of him walking around on the carpet and tile, his white socks had turned black on the bottom. Upon closer inspection of the floor, there is broken glass in the carpet. I have found long hairs (yuck) in the bathroom, a used q-tip (yuckier), used dental floss (yuckiest) and even a bread-tie right out in the open. I had to call housekeeping @ 9PM to come and vacuum the floor for my child's safety and was told "we don't have a vacuum but we do have a shop-vac." Housekeeping finally showed up at 10 pm with the shop vac. I have been up since 5am, drove from SW Florida and the last thing I want to do is wait for my room to be vacuumed. It was less than effective as I now have a collection of broken glass slivers to give to the manager when I check-out. How can a resort of this size and reputation not have a proper vacuum? It baffles my mind to think about that question. It is no wonder this place is just plain FILTHY.
I have GNATS (fruit flys) living in the drains. They are on the walls and buzzing all over any food we are preparing/eating. I took time out for a GNAT hunt, so I was sure they were all gone. When I woke up in the morning, MORE GNATS.
By the start of the second day, we both had stuffy noses and I had to use my inhaler (asthma). I hardly ever have to use my inhaler unless something aggravates my asthma. I took a look at the A/C system. The filters where clean but the outside of the unit has dust all over the outside from NEVER being cleaned. The cooled air outlet has dust and mold all over the inside of the unit. I took the cover off and was absolutely DISGUSTED, the coil has never been serviced. Completely clogged up and moldy.
I took my son to the pool and the water is less than clear. There is a big disgusting puddle of water in between the pool and hot tub due to clogged drains. This puddle of water literally drains into the hot tub. I can just imagine the germs and bacteria the hot tub is producing and passing on to the unsuspecting resort guests. We left the pool almost immediately.
Don't bother with the trolley unless you have 2 1/2 to 3 hours extra to wait for the trolley and to make all the stops. We waited over an hour for the trolley and its suppose to be on a 20-25 min loop. It wasn't even crowded, every place in town had vacancies.
We chose Westgate Resort for our Smoky Mountain getaway because of the positive reviews on trip advisor. I guess its time for new management or something major because our stay was not relaxing or enjoyable. I have stayed in cheap motels that have been cleaner than this "high class" resort. We will NEVER stay at any Westgate resort ever again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A Prime Location in the Beautiful Great Smoky Mountains Westgate Smoky Mountain Resort & Spa in Gatlinburg, Tennessee, offers guests all the comforts of a fully furnished home, all within minutes of Great Smoky Mountains National Park - the most-visited national park in the United States - as well as Dollywood theme park and bustling downtown Gatlinburg. With easy access to a multitude of outdoor recreational opportunities and a variety of onsite amenities, including an amazing indoor/outdoor water park, your dream vacation is waiting at Westgate Smoky Mountain Resort & Spa! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Westgate Smoky Mountain Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Westgate Smoky Mountain Hotel Gatlinburg
- Westgate Smoky Mountain Resort
- Westgate Smoky Mountain Gatlinburg
- Westgate Resort Gatlinburg
- Westgate Resort Tennessee
- Westgate Tennessee
- Westgate Smokey Mountain Resort
- Gatlinburg Westgate