“It's a nice place but it does have some issues.”

Westgate Smoky Mountain Resort & Spa
Ranked #26 of 78 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Perkinston, MS
“It's a nice place but it does have some issues.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2012

First and foremost, this is a time-share resort. So be prepared to encounter the hard sell if you are not an owner staying here. We were finally able to get our sales person to understand we were not interested in attending the presentation, but it took some doing.

The resort is very nice. But they do have some issues. We booked a one bedroom suite expecting a jacuzzi type tub. What we got was a larger jetted bath tub. I went back in and checked out the floor plans here--http://westgateresorts.com/smoky-mountain/accommodations/ and still can't see anything under the one bedroom suites that comes close to what we stayed in. So either their information is outdated or it's just wrong. So if a jacuzzi type tub is important to you, call and make sure before you go.

The carpet in the unit hadn't been cleaned in a while. It had visible stains all over it and my brand new slippers were black on the bottom by the time our 4 night stay was up. The little hair dryer kept dying and when you turned on the bathroom light and fan at the same time, it blew the breaker.

You will not get maid service unless you are staying a week or longer, and then it's only one half way through the week. I did find that the staff is very good about getting extra supplies to you when you call. But you do have to call to get anything if your stay is less than a week.

I agree with other posters that say the walls are very thin. You're going to hear your neighbors, even if they are quiet. When someone in another unit turns on the tub jets, you'll get a loud vibration. We were lucky, our neighbors were pretty quiet. But if you want a really quiet room, it's going to be hard to find in this resort. At least in the one bedroom villa area we stayed in.

Another complaint I have about this place is the "concierge" you get assigned. I'm calling it like it is, this person is your salesman. Our concierge Cindy told us three different times that her job was dependent on our going to her presentation. We also got the story about her nephew being in an accident and how the resort wouldn't let her have time off to go see him. That got old real fast. We paid a pretty penny for this suite, were not interested in their time-share presentation, and shouldn't have had to listen to her tell us how hard it would be for her if we didn't attend. She did offer us free internet or water park passes to attend, but after reading some of the other reviews about the 90 minute presentation turning into hours, we had decided long before we arrived that we were not interested. After she finally left, we really wondered whether anything she had said was actually the truth. She was also just plain wrong about several details she told us about times and services. So honestly, I would have had a hard time believing most anything she told us if we had attended the presentation, which we did not.

The resort is beautiful. The log cabin type buildings look really impressive against the side of the mountain. Those hills are killer though if you are walking anywhere. They do have shuttles that go from the shuttle stops down the hills to the main buildings and the trolly stop. They seemed to run fairly regularly and all the drivers were very friendly and happy to stop and pick you up. But if you're walking, be prepared to get some serious exercise.

One of the safety issues I found to be glaringly obvious is the lack of sidewalks near the entrance to the trolly stop. Lots of people walk to the trolly stop that goes into Gatlinburg, and there is no safe place to walk. There is barely a curb and no sidewalks. You can cut through the group sales parking lot, but the main driveway down to the stop has no sidewalks.

The pool is pretty small considering the size of the resort. We never used the water park so I can't give an opinion of it. The little store is very small. I expected more when I read about "fresh baked goods", there's not much to choose from.

Check-in was slow. We didn't have to wait in line for very long, which seems to be a complaint from other guests. But it did take quite a while once we got to the counter.

Overall if you are an owner, I'm sure this is a nice enough place. But as a guest, the price is high and the time-share hard sell is hard to take. It's not a place we'll be going back to.

Room Tip: You really have to do your research on this place. If the jacuzzi tub is important to you, I would s...
7 Thank hapihart
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at Westgate Smoky Mountain Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 17 July 2013
Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry to read that your stay was not as satisfactory as you expected. We are always looking to improve and your feedback is of great help. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience of the sales staff. It is definitely not our intention to make you feel pressured in any way from anyone on our staff; however, we do offer the opportunity to all of our guests and owners to take a tour and with that, receive certain incentives, with no obligations. Again, we apologize and we do hope that you will give us another opportunity to exceed your expectations.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (823)
  • Arabic first
Erie, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2012

We loved the great mountain view and location of the resort in the park. We loved the pools and waterpark and the constant shuttle service was great for our mom who had trouble with the hills. Everyone was so nice and anything we needed was given immediate attention. The 2 bedroom condo was the perfect size for our family of 8. Everyone had a bed and had ample room to relax. Loved the fireplace, view, kitchen, staff, all was wonderful!!

3 Thank michelle r
davidfishlock, General Manager at Westgate Smoky Mountain Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 20 August 2012
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your relaxing vacation. We appreciate your business and the many positive comments you had regarding our resort. We look forward to seeing you the next time you are in the area.

Butler, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2012

Just spent another family vacation at Smoky Mountain Resort. 19 family members enjoyed water park and pools, zip lining and Skylift, shopping in the arts & crafts center in Gatlinburg, Dollywood in Pigon Forge. Rides and hikes in the mountains, Everyone enjoyed Parrot Mtn.. The trolly is a great help, can go everywhere on them. Called 2 weeks before visit and Requested cabin at bottom of hill #203, but got one further up hill, I'm not a good walker up hill, Shuttle drivers were very helpful. Cabin did have fleas and it was sprayed, but needs done again. Carpenter bees and spiders and yellowjackets are very busy ruining porches, been a problem last 10 years.. Staff very good at bringing more towels and supplies.Required Survey visit is really a sales presentation I did not enjoy, Three people all over me to do different things. I own 6 weeks, all I want. Don't want upgraded to top of mountain, stayed up there one year, never again. Icemaker could be turned on after staff cleans, it takes way to long to get any ice. 6 icecubes in 24 hours not good.Did have service it didn't help. Kitchen needs upgrade.

Room Tip: Not a good resort if you have any problem walking or use wheelchair.
4 Thank keck201
Thank you for taking the time to tell us that you and your 19 other family members had a nice stay at our property. It’s also nice to hear that you enjoyed shopping at the Arts and Crafts area of Gatlinburg. That’s a great way to spend a day. My apologies for the little critters that you had to deal with while on property. We have a person dedicated to controlling all of these little critters that are part of our rain forest eco-system. We hope to see you next year.

Fort Wright, Kentucky
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2012

The waterpark was perfect for our kids which is a "must have" for them. The accomodations were nice. I was surpised that housekeeping didnt visit during our 3 night visit. Very hilly and nice for hiking and exercis, but anyone with trouble with small hills will struggle. The food at the restaurant was pretty good, but a tad on the pricy side. We may visit here again. Overall, we think we will be staying in downtown Gatlinburg next time, because traffic in the general area is pretty much terible. That way we can walk or ride the trolley a very short distance.

Room Tip: Rooms in the 200 series are a tad older, but not bad. Also, closer to the lodge & waterpark. T...
4 Thank Greg P
Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback on your recent stay with us. I always like to hear that the Water Park was perfect for the kids. Watching your kids have a great time is about as good as it gets. Because we a timeshare property, we do not provide daily housekeeping service. If you are staying with us for a week, we provide a “ mid-week “ clean on the forth day of your stay. I do understand you wanting to stay in downtown Gatlinburg because of the convenience. You can always bring the kids by the Water Park for a visit because we are open to the public. We thank you for your business and hope to see you in the future.

Antwerp, Belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2012

Very nice, well kept resort. The complete staff is very friendly at all times. Our 1 bedroom appartement was superclean and spacious. Pools and indoor waterpark wonderfull. Gatlinburg village is "mini Vegas" and in easy reach thanks to the trolleys. Not a sign of timeshare sellers during our stay

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Karin252
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about the many things that you liked about our resort. We appreciate you mentioning that the resort is well kept, the staff is friendly, the unit was super clean, and that the pools and indoor Water Park were wonderful. We appreciate your business and hope to see you on your return visit.

Middleburg, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2012

We took our two grandkids there for 6 nights beginning August 4th. It was recommended by a coworker. We were fine with the accommodations (even though the carpet is shredding right at the entrance of the living room from the kitchen and the chair in the living room is also shredding on the top left corner. The carpet was dirty, but, we just kept our shoes on. You can expect this from rental property. What we didn't expect was all the noise from the golf carts and construction trucks beginning at 7 am each morning. But, once again, we could handle that.

We paid $960 for 6 nights with 3 days of the water park. Not cheap!! But, we still had to commit to a Timeshare tour. I decided it was worth it since there was a water park involved for our two grandkids. We have only been on one other Timeshare in our lives (we are in our sixties) and maybe they are all handled like police interrogations of criminals!! First, they made us walk the tour in the rain. I told Kevin that I didn't want to walk in the rain and he said I had no choice and he was not made of sugar and he just took off walking. In my line of work, we try to cooperate, so rather than "balk" at it, we walked in the rain with him (down steps and up steps). Thank goodness we didn't fall.. I asked for an umbrella and he said they couldn't afford to furnish umbrellas for guests.

After the tour, we told him we were not interested (over and over and over). He kept telling us that "you do not make good sense"!! After about 30 minutes,he called over Martha and we had to answer the same questions again. We kept telling her how much we appreciated the excellent tour and information, but, we were not interested. She kept telling us "You do not make good sense"!! Finally, after feeling completely disrespected and humiliated by both of them, I started crying and asking why they are doing this to us. They looked at each other and "smirked" and said, "No one turns the two of us down"!!! I replied, they just met their first turn down customers. They finally walked away and called in the "3rd" person. She was nice and let us go our way. It was a terrible way to begin our day and it took hours to come down from that horrible experience. I definitely do not recommend this place for anyone unless they plan on buying a timeshare.

I was going to write the General Manager a letter, but, after reading his answers to the negative reviews on Trip Advisor, I can tell he does not have what it takes to be a General Manager and does not believe the customers feedback. I am an associate of an individually owned multi-billion dollar corporation and I can tell you that our owner would never answer like he does. His answers ishow that he thinks that the writer is in the wrong. Well, let me tell you....I wish I had a recording of my experience because I would not only send it to him, but, would also post it on You Tube. It was the most horrible experience I have ever been through and I have been a Manager of a manufacturing corporation for 30 years. No one has ever spoken to me like Kevin and Martha did!

14 Thank Toyota111
davidfishlock, General Manager at Westgate Smoky Mountain Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 14 August 2012
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. I sincerely apologize for the issues you experienced in your room. I will most certainly pass this information on to our Director of Housekeeping. I also apologize for the experience that you had with some of our sales team. This is unacceptable. I will let the Director of Sales know about your situation because I know she would not tolerate this type of behavior. For your information, I respond to every letter that is sent to me. I also respond to the comments that are posted on this site because I do care. In my responses, I always try to thank our guests for their business. I also try to pass on some tips to our guests that would help them with future accommodation searches. One comment where someone indicated that guests should keep everything under lock key, I felt was an unwarranted claim and I responded as such. In two of the most recent negative comments where guests had some serious housekeeping issues with their room, I asked that they email me so that we can discuss the issues further, try to obtain a room number so that I can research the matter and try to find out what happened, and see what I could do to make things right by them. Again, my sincere apologies. We do thank you for your business.

Best Regards
Hagerstown, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2012

Overall nice place, right against the mountains, saw bear cub twice go by our back porch! Place was clean staff was friendly. Nice pool and indoor water park on premises. We did not see any housekeeping staff while there five days. Place is on hills so it was nice they have trolleys to take u back to your unit if u walk down to the bottom. Water Park is extra if u are not an owner. Our room had many amenities in it. Just set your garbage bag outside and it did not take long for someone to pick it up! Called for extra towels and tp and they came within the hour. There are a lot of golf carts running around taking people on tours and what not, that was a little distracting. It is close to Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge, and the Smokies!

Room Tip: Had a 1 br deluxe unit downstairs but it had a kitchen and other amenities and a jacuzzi tub. Nice b...
5 Thank camaroman56
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay with us. We’re very happy to hear that you thought our property was nice, that it was clean, and that the staff was friendly. We thank also you for your business and hopefully will see you on your next visit to the area.