“Hoping for great but was disappointed”

Westgate Smoky Mountain Resort & Spa
Ranked #25 of 78 Hotels in Gatlinburg
“Hoping for great but was disappointed”
Reviewed 20 May 2014 via mobile

Check in for us was on Friday at 4 on May 16th. The line was long but moved fast. The lady checking us in was great. On my reservations it said we had a 2 and 3 year old but they put us on the 3rd floor! I had to wait in the lobby so a guide could take us to our room (awesome). While I waited I bought tickets for the next day at the water park. It would have been nice to know that I should have picked up the coffee and laundry detergent then too. We had to make a separate trip for that. Also, it's just enough coffee for one serving! Our room was very spacious and beautiful. I wish it had been in working order too. Friday after our long ride and long day of activities, I decided a hot jetted tub would be perfect to relax. The kids were asleep and so was hubby. I got in and the phone started ringing at 1130 pm. The front desk said that maintenance would come in the morning. There was no suggestion of moving us since it would be fixed. Our tub was leaking in through the light fixture in the room below us! Maintenance said they would be there first thing the next morning. We waited and of course had to cancel our morning plans due to maintenance not coming first thing in the morning. The guy that came was really nice and told us it was fixed. We continued on to the water park. We had a great day at the park. We had dinner in town and came back to our room. Again thinking how nice a hot jetted tub would be after a long day, I jumped into the tub thinking it was fixed. Again the phone rang at midnight this time, saying our tub was leaking into the room below us. Maintenance didn't want to want until the morning and came to our room that night! However, they were unable to fix it until in the morning. Check out is at 10 am. They told us not to use the tub. As this is the only tub in the room, we didn't have showers or baths before our drive home. I spoke with the manager Craig that night and he said he would give us complimentary breakfast and work on getting us another stay at no charge due to all of the hassle. So, we go to check out and the complimentary breakfast is actually a $25 gift certificate. This didn't cover the price of 2 adults and 2 children. Most places let children their age eat free since they just nibble. We still had to pay more for breakfast. At check out I asked to speak to the manager. Chris had no idea what was going on, although Craig was supposed to get with him about it. He said that the $25 gift card and the refund of one nights stay seemed fair. I disagreed but he didn't waiver. He asked why we didn't ask for a room change. I told him the first night they told us they would fix it in the morning and the second night, we were checking out the next morning. He DID NOT CARE that me or my family couldn't shower or bathe. He needs lessons on customer service. Every where we went the first thing anyone asked was if we were owners. Everyone should be treated as owners and owners should be treated better. I have traveled to many countries and stayed at many resorts and hotels, I have never been treated this badly. We were even considering becoming owners because it's so beautiful and roomy. NO WAY AFTER THIS STAY!

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
11 Thank Amber J
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at Westgate Smoky Mountain Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 23 May 2014
Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry to read that your stay was not as satisfactory as you expected. We do apologize if maintenance caused an inconvenience on your family while on vacation. Our maintenance staff tries to fix issues as soon as possible so they do not become larger issues. We thank you for letting us know about your treatment from the Front Desk staff during check-out. This is definitely not our standards we hold for our staff and we will let our executive staff know about this. We hope you will give us another chance to exceed your expectations and see how we’ve improved.

Brittany

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (830)
  • Arabic first
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 20 May 2014

My wife and I have been owners here since 2000, before anything was even built yet. At first we did have buyers remorse since again the resort was just being built so the first few years there was really nothing here. Instead we started using it in Orlando (we live in Tampa) and to exchange with Interval International. Once we got the hang of how this actually works we have enjoyed being owers and since we paid very little for a 1 bedroom (around 9k) it has more than paid for itself the last 14 years. I have read both the bad and good reviews, I would like to say to all those coming on the discounted/free weekends you knew what you were getting into so stop complaining, its their job to sell you a time share and they will do everything to try and get you to buy. Yes its a pain and takes away 3 hours of your vacation, if you did not want to hear a sales pitch and take hours away from your vacation than you should have stayed somewhere else like a Holiday Inn..
Cons:
I will agree with everyone regarding the sound, they really do need to do something about this, it does not take much to spray some expanding foam in-between the walls and ceiling and does not cost much.
The internet fee for non-owners and additional devices is a little out of date, just about everyone hotel/motel/Holiday Inn has free wifi no matter how many devices you have and this is a policy that needs to be updated. I mean this is 2014 right?
The onsite restaurant is a joke, we ate there last year and the service was atrocious (as a former restaurant owner I would have fired everyone) we waited about 30 minutes just to get our drinks, I should have just left but after driving 11 hours to get here I really did not want to drive into town. The food was decent but not worth the prince, I've had better at McDonalds (Just being honest).
As an owner, leave me alone already. I dont want to sit through a free lunch of hotdogs and fritos while you try to upsell me, enough already. If I wanted to upgrade I would have called you...
Pros:
With a 3 year old staying at a Hotel is just out of the question so having a full kitchen and seperate sleeping area is great.
The waterpark, and all of the activites they have for kids. yes some of the activites cost extra but its usually just a few bucks and the kids really enjoy it.
I can exchange for a small fee and stay anywhere in the world.
The service and security is great, anytime I called for anything (extra towels, soaps) I never waited more than 30 minutes.
Location, Location, Location.. right in-between Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg with the Smokies behind you.

I would also like to say I have never had an issue with an unclean room or shotty equipment and have stayed in both the newer built units (which are actually bigger) and the older units.

Again if you dont want to buy a time share, dont stay here unless you are ready for a used car salesman type approach and if you dont want to buy dont let their pushy approach ruin your vacation!!! Just go for a drive through the mountains to cool off and remember why you went on vacation in the first place.

2 Thank hardluck13
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at Westgate Smoky Mountain Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Thank you for sharing your honest review. We understand you have some concerns during your stay. We continue to take all our guests suggestions into consideration because we’re always looking to provide them with a better stay. We are a proud timeshare resort and we ask our guests to participate in our tours. Participating is purely voluntary and in exchange for our guests, we provide different incentives and gifts. We’re glad you enjoyed our resort amenities and rooms. We hope you come back and visit us again soon!

Lissy
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Our group of 30+ ladies had everything preplanned and paid for (at least we thought). The checkin process was an absolute nightmare - even with confirmation numbers and the name of the individual at the resort who had arranged everything. Nothing was as the group coordinator said it would be and she refused to come out and speak with us at checkin.

We had asked for conference rooms and told they were arranged for us and that didn't happen. Part of our group wound up having to use a room in the dining area for our breakfast, all day meeting, and dinner. The smaller part of our group had to have their meeting in one of the rooms.

The bartender was absolutely downright rude and flat us ignored us at times. This is completely unacceptable in my opinion especially because we were the only people in the bar.

I will say that the resort itself is in a great location, easy to access, and very pretty with many activities for families. However, I would not recommend this for any size group whatsoever.

Room Tip: Since they are still doing construction, make sure to ask to be away from it. Also, I would ask not...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank Glenneth R
Thank you for your input. We’re pleased to hear our resort is conveniently located and has numerous amenities for families to enjoy. We are sorry to hear your vacation did not go as planned. Our staff is there to provide excellent customer service to make your vacation a better experience. It sounds like the way you were treated is definitely not our standards of service. We thank you for bringing this to our attention and this info will be given to our management team. We hope this does not keep you from visiting with us again for a future vacation.

Nicole
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 19 May 2014

I have owned here since 2007. The staff are always polite and helpful. The rooms are great. I love that they have a kitchen to help cut down on eating out costs. This year we got a cabin right next to the heated pool. In previous years we were stuck on the top of the mountain which is a pain because to get anywhere you have to go down the mountain. So, all week long it's up and down and up and down. The arcade in the welcome center is expensive. They have a gym which my wife used today and had no complaints about. Shuttles run the facility about every 15 min. The trolly to Gatlinburg also stops here and is very cheap to ride. I don't like the fact I own a time share but I do enjoy coming every year to this place.

1 Thank Kevin S
Thank you so much for letting us know about your experience. It is pleasing to hear that our staff was polite and helpful. As you mentioned, we have rooms with full kitchens and living rooms. We’re glad you made use of the heated pools and gym. We look forward to seeing you next year!

Idalise
Reviewed 15 May 2014 via mobile

This resort has all you could ask for; all the amenities of home, lots of different types of rooms/villas, lots of on property activities, very friendly and informed staff, on property restaurants/bars, trolley stop for both Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge, an indoor water park, and best of all the beauty and relaxation of the mountains.

• Stayed April 2014
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at Westgate Smoky Mountain Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 8 June 2014
We love hearing kind words such as yours about Westgate Smoky Mountains Resort. Our property provides many activities and accommodations so that our guests have the comforts of a home away from home. Thank you for letting us know that our staff was informative and very friendly towards your family. We would love to welcome you back again on your next visit.

Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 15 May 2014

This was my second stay at this Resort and I love every little thing, very clean, nice size villas and great location. I have a baby, toddler and teens and we were very please with the activities and amenities that the resort offer, specially the in-door water park. Awesome place to stay. I totally recommended.

Room Tip: Always ask for what type of villa are you getting, because they will always try to give you older un...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at Westgate Smoky Mountain Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Welcome back to Westgate Smoky Mountains! We are so excited to have you and your family visit us again. Our staff strives to provide the best experience for our guests and we are happy to hear you enjoyed your time with us. We also work hard to provide a diverse assortment of amenities as well. It would be a pleasure to host you once more.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 May 2014

Multiple wooden buildings with rooms and flats fot time share. Receptionists were poor and did not seem to know the basics. We were told the restaurant closed at 10pm and went to eat just after 9pm to find it closed. Our room was dark and lights were needed in broad daylight. There was no room service. Staff seemed excessive but all they did was drive up and down the property not really achieving much. There was a bus service to the ends of the buildings, as the roads were steep, presumably to move clients to the front desk or swimming pool. The bus did not leave the property to take people to Gatlinburg. There was a large pool complex, ideal for children to play in, but it was not free.
Apart from walking up the steep internal roads looking at wooden buildings, using the outdoor swimming pool, or paying for the pool complex there was nothing to do.
You have to use your car and visit either Pigeon Forge (Dollywood - Dolly Parton) or Gatlinburg. We drove through Pigeon Forge on our way to the Hotel - really tacky and best avoided. Gatlinburg was less tacky but both cable cars were being serviced so no going up the mountain.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Please accept our most sincere apologies for the circumstances you encountered during your recent stay with us. We take pride in our service and strive to reach perfection so your experience was certainly the exception and not normal. It’s our hope you will give us another chance to host you in the future.