“Friendly place”

Westgate Smoky Mountain Resort & Spa
Ranked #26 of 77 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Reviewed 14 July 2014

We loved the friendly staff. The resort was large but had private feel to it as it was close to everything and not in the middle of everything. We loved the pools esp the pool at the top of the hill. There were beautiful views all around the resort. The only negative was that you could hear a lot of noise through the walls. The over all experience there was so great though that it did not ruin our experience .

1  Thank 88StaceyB
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at Westgate Smoky Mountain Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2014

Thank you for your review. We’re glad to hear that you enjoyed your spacious unit, fantastic scenery, and the amenities we offer on site. We’re thrilled to hear our staff was friendly and accommodating. We strive to exceed your expectations; it’s great to know we were able to do that. We hope to see you again!

Reviewed 14 July 2014

My weekend stay was great!! I didn't have any problems. My 1 bedroom villa was worth every penny. My kids enjoyed the waterpark!! we had food catered from our event and it was good too. the staff was nice..my Bellman was awesome!! i would return again in the future.

1  Thank Sonya W
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at Westgate Smoky Mountain Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2014

Thank you so much for your input. We love when our owners and guests have a great time with us; it shows us that we are fulfilling their vacation experience. We wish to provide you with many more exciting moments like this one again! M.B

Reviewed 14 July 2014

I booked this hotel online and signed up for a timeshare deal, 4 nights for $200 total. For that price this place is a steal! First the good stuff - This resort is gorgeous, one of the nicest ones in all of Smoky Mountains, it truly feels relaxing and magnificent. It is between Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg, you can miss it very easily, its off of Little Smoky Road. The location could not be better, close to everything yet secluded. The entire resort consists of many 'cabins' (6 unit houses) and three large hotel style buildings also that look like cabins. The hills are very steep but we went in July so no worry about snow. Parking is terrible, we did not use the shuttle so I cannot write how that was, but there is one available. If you drove the wrong way and got to a dead end it was very hard to turn the car around because it's so tight. We stayed all the way at the top of the resort in Building 3000, on the 3rd floor, room 3801. Next to us are buildings 4000 and 5000. You have to be careful when booking because only some units have balconies. Our unit had no balcony, we walked through a security door into a hallway first and then went into our unit through another door. Another problem was that the ONLY window in our unit was a small 2x3 in our bedroom. It felt like a cave inside, but for the $$$ we paid I will not complain :-) The unit itself was beautiful, kitchen was fabulous, you dont have to bring anything. Fully stocked with pots and dishes and glasses, coffee maker, utensils, rags, pyrex dish, iron and board, even dishwashing detergent. Full size microwave, dishwasher, and a good sized fridge with ice maker. It was open to the living/dining room which had a table with three chairs (4th chair was in the bedroom), a leather sleeper sofa, and a fireplace. The bedroom was decent size with a safe, desk, wardrobe, and a flat screen tv. You can enter the bathroom from the bedroom and the main room. The bathroom had a granite topped fanity, a washer/dryer combo, separate toilet, and a large tiled walk in shower with a rain shower head. Like I said, for the money we paid this room was more than adequate. If I had paid full price or if I actually owned a timeshare I would not have stayed in this room simply for the fact that outside of our 'window' there was construction going on from 7am till dusk. You could hear jack hammers and equipment and if we had small kids trying to nap during the day this would not be possible. Also the view from our 'window' was speactacular and lets face it thats the main reason to come to the Smoky Mountains so I would be very insistant on getting a balcony unit or at least a unit with a large window. The parking problem is real! There are way too many units and not enough parking spots. You will find one but people parked in "no parking" sections and motorcycles parked in walk ways specifically marked as walking paths. People also parked blocking stairs you could use to get from the different levels of parking. If staying on the resort I would suggest using their shuttles. We did not use them as we left early in the morning to explore the area and returned well into the evening thus avoiding the construction noise. The one great tip I would have is to be in your room (rooms facing towards Pigeon Forge) by 930pm each night because you can see fireworks from Dollywood! We checked in through the timeshare lobby so I cannot say much about the front desk people, but we did book The Comedy Barn (highly recommend if you have kids) through the Activities desk located inside the lobby and we saved $4.00 per person. The lady Ginny was very nice. Also there is a Concierge who can help you book activities. Next to the check in area is a cafe which serves Starbucks coffe and donuts. There is also a small store where you can purchase drinks, food, personal items, souvenirs, honey, jams, preserves, momentos. It's not large but quite sufficient. They will issue you a parking permit and you have to display it on your dash at all times, when you drive throught the main gate they will check for it and let you enter the resort. The two outdoor pools on the property are tiny, they were packed with people (it's JULY!), there were dirty towels laying on the ground, needless to say we did not go to them. The indoor waterpark looked very nice, we dont have kids so we did not use it, but we did go there on our 'tour' and it seemed clean and nice. It's about $18 per person who does not own a unit, and $12 for owners. I guess with small kids I would have used it if it was cold outside. We toured two units on our timeshare presentation and they were very nice, big windows and balconies. The higher you go up on the property the better the view, but you have to make sure you are not facing the woods, so just ask when you book your room. We went to the onsite restaurant and got Moonshine drinks and they were delish. The food was good, not great. The people in the restaurant are foreigners but I must say everywhere we went on the property people were very, very polite and nice. Each time you drive past a golf cart they wave. As for the timeshare presentation it lasted more like 2.5 hours, not 90 minutes like they advertise. We were firm with our guy from the very beginning that we were only there to fullfill the requirement for the low cost room. He still went through his speel and then we spoke with his manager and then with a quality control lady. During the entire process if someone bought a timeshare (I wont judge) they would stop everything and announce the name of the family, the unit they purchased, and everyone would clap. To me it's all a scam but to each his own. Then the manager would make a point of writing down the unit number that was sold on the piece of paper in front of him to make sure you didnt buy the same unit LOL They show you three different rooms you can buy that will 'fit your budget' but you just have to be firm and tell them the 90 minutes are up and you already have plans and need to leave. Overall it was an ok experience, our person Kenny was a nice guy. I give this resort a four star, it would be a five star if our room had a bigger window and a balcony, but for the price we paid I really cannot complain.

Room Tip: We went in July 2014, stayed in Building 3000, 3rd floor, room 3801. Tiny, tiny window in master bed...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lovemyboston
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at Westgate Smoky Mountain Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Westgate Smoky Mountain Resort & Spa. We’re glad to hear you found our resort to be gorgeous, conveniently located to area attractions, and having a fully equipped unit for all your family’s needs. We’re sorry to hear about the issues you encountered while staying with us. We are in the process of expanding our resort and sometimes that is a little noisy. We are a large resort and during peak season parking can become an issue. We do have employees that would be more than happy to give you a ride on a golf cart if available. We do have the indoor waterpark as you mentioned; however our Owners do receive free admission to the waterpark and our guests receive a discounted rate. We love hearing that our staff was friendly and helpful during your stay. It lets us know we made a right choice in picking our employees. We’re glad that overall you had a nice stay and hope to see you again soon.

Brittany

Reviewed 14 July 2014

What a money making scam this place is. I'm typing this review as I am staying in this resort right now at 2:06am on July 14th. The moment you drive into the resort you are greeted by a very friendly staff. That's where the nice ends. So overly crowded and unorganized, it's sickening. If I was able to turn around and leave without penalty I would have. But thankfully, it is only a two night stay. I had a couple of simple room requests that were not able to be met, even though I arrived at four hours before check-in time and there are over 900 units. Parking is a an absolute joke. Make sure your auto insurance is paid up. The staff rides around in golf carts at high rates of speed on the same resort roads as the cars. So be careful. There are many turns with blind spots. But what put me over the edge to type this review at this time of night is the noise I am experiencing right now at 2:15am. I put the blame on this resort for allowing the pool to close so late at night. Prior to my arrival earlier today, I have family that arrived here two days ago. They called me and told me how noisy this place was when you are in the room. I shrugged it off. Thinking, I have been in places before where you could easily here kids running around hallways. It's summer. No big deal. They're just having fun. But this place, unbelievable! I actually got up to look around because I thought these kids were actually in the same room that as I was staying. I'm serious. No lie. It is that cheaply built and that loud. It's now 2:22am. Where are the parents of these kids. I imagine a visit here in the fall would cure that. The unit itself appears to be very clean. There are over 900 of them. They have a very large staff. Most of them dressed in some sort of forest ranger attire. The units on the outside are made of logs. I have always been a fan of the log look. But they are stacked on top of each other that getting into the units is very inconvenient. Why anyone would purchase one of these as a time share is beyond me. I have been to this area many times just over the last few years. I have stayed in many different places around here and never had one complaint until now. If you are looking for this type of setup, Riverstone Resort just a few miles down the road is an excellent choice. I only wanted to try this place because I have family that was also staying here at the same time. I thought it would be convenient for all of us. It is now 2:33am. It has just now gotten quiet. I will see what tomorrow brings. But, as for now...never again! I was just proof reading my review to check for any spelling mistakes. It's 2:43am, the kids starting running around again. One thing for sure. They won't be up at 6:00am.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
6  Thank CabinParadise

Thank you for your feedback. We’re glad to hear you found our resort to be clean and with friendly staff. We’re sorry to hear you did not enjoy your stay due to noisy neighbors. We do have quiet time at our resort and it is strictly enforced. Our security team is available 24/7 to take care of any noise complaints. We want our guests to be able to relax and enjoy their vacation. Our pools are open from 8am-10pm. If you notice noisy guests in the pool after hours then please let security know immediately. We hope this will not keep you from visiting us again to see how we’ve improved.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

This hotel has no resort amenities, despite them charging a resort fee. The internet doesn't work, plus they don't clean the room during the entire stay, four nights for our stay (there is a fee for cleaning the room). Also I feel owners receive better service. There is construction and limited parking. We won't stay here again.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank Provolone C
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at Westgate Smoky Mountain Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014

We appreciate you taking a moment to review the Westgate Smoky Mountain Resort. We aim in offering our owners and guests with the best quality family vacation time. In order for that to happen, we have a complete property with amazing amenities such as; Wild Bear Falls indoor water park, a large game room, Serenity Spa and much more. Our internet service is free to our owners and our guests may pay the fee to use it, if they feel so. In regards to the housekeeping service, it does not work the same way as a regular hotel, considering we are a timeshare property. We are not very sure why would you not stay with us again, considering a lot of the comments mentioned are not our reality. Allow us another opportunity to exceed your vacation expectations! Mika

Reviewed 11 July 2014

We have come back to Westgate Smokey Mtn at least 4 times a year for the last 14 years. There is almost no place else I'd rather visit. We love the mountains, the beauty of the Westgate facilities and the personal service. Westgate is our second home and we will be bringing our children, grandchildren and great grandchild there for Thanksgiving week.

Room Tip: The higher up, the better the views.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Teresa V

We appreciate your responses concerning your stay with us at the Westgate Smoky Mountain Resort. It is wonderful to know you have been part of our family for so many years. We always strive in providing everyone with a memorable vacation each single time. We are pleased to know you enjoyed yourself and look forward to seeing you again! Micky

Reviewed 9 July 2014

I booked 2 nights over the phone and was lied to about everything. I would have saved my $300 and stayed in a better place, every employee was COMPLETELY RUDE and nasty to my family and I. Horrible customer service. The waterpark is $22 a person, and no continental breakfast unless you purchase a time share. We waited for 45 minutes in the lounge before going looking for a server. When I tried to order food from the restaurant I was told it would be a while and to come back later!!! So I called pizza hut! My children were yelled at by a nasty old woman for going into the breakfast area and not having a tour guide with them. Horrible rotten service run by idiots and I will be making complaints. Save your money. $150 a night and my children get screamed at.

• Stayed: July 2014
4  Thank MissBonny
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at Westgate Smoky Mountain Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

Thank you for your review. We appreciate you letting us know about your experience and bringing these issues to our attention. All of our staff is there to provide you with a customer service experience unlike any other. The experience that you have shared in your review falls far below the standards that we have set for our staff to follow. We apologize if a member of our staff was less than courteous. As stated, we are a timeshare resort and we do offer a timeshare presentation in return for incentives like waterpark tickets and free breakfast. However, it is purely voluntary and you do not have to participate. If you choose to not take the tour, then you would have to pay for the breakfast buffet and/or waterpark tickets. We do apologize if this was not explained or misunderstood in any way. We will be giving this information to our resort manager for further review. We hope this experience will not stop you from visiting us again.