“Gatlinburg family vacation”

Westgate Smoky Mountain Resort & Spa
Ranked #26 of 78 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Stayed at a 3000-level 4 bedroom adjoined suite with family.

Can't speak to affordability, because my parents treated the family to celebrate my mom's retirement, but it was resort-level pricing.

The service was awesome! Everyone on the property was Disney-level friendly, including waves as you drove down the on-property road.

The rooms were kind of a mixed bag, as some had torn carpets, missing kitchen amenities, or poor fitting fixtures (bathroom door leaked a bit). Just informational, as my family is really easy going, so none of those things really bothered us.

The layout in the 4 bedroom complex is two junior suites and 2 grand suites (their description). Each suite came with a minimum queen bed and pull out sofa sleeper, so you could really cram the people in if you were so inclined. The morning views from the balcony of the Smokies was amazing.

The drawback to staying in the upper elevations is waiting for the community transpo. Can't be helped, it's a function of the property. Just be advised, if you are looking for quick access to the restaurant, lower pool, lodge (spa), arcade, or anything else, you have to add in the 15+ minute wait for travel from the upper accommodations or drive. That, combined with the fact that everything pretty much closes at 10 pm, meant after kiddie bed time options were limited to in-suite life.

That being said, we had access to a real kitchen, plenty of tableware, glasses, basic cooking gear, a blender, and a toaster. All awesome.

The restaurant service was fantastic and most meals were without issue. Both steaks ordered came under done, which was profusely apologized for by our server, Andy, who was amazing. The bill was very reasonable, especially for 10 people (4 kids). The bar and food prices were very reasonable.

The fitness center was very basic, with 4 treadmills, 2 bikes, about 10 racks of nautilus equipment, and a free weight rack.

WiFi price? What can I say. $10 per day, per device in this day and age is a ripoff.

Overall a neat place to stay. You can't beat the views from the higher elevations, and the service is very friendly. A little more upkeep/ standardization in the rooms and it would be close to a definite return. Most everything was clean and usable.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher number lodging (3000, 4000, 5000) for the views, ask for a down-the-mountain lodgin...
1  Thank kbfixit
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at Westgate Smoky Mountain Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2014

Thank you for sharing your vacation experience with us. It’s great to hear you enjoyed every aspect of your stay from your newly renovated unit, to the free shuttles and all the amenities and activities we offer on site. We are also conveniently located close to all the area attractions as well as shopping and dining. We are proud to offer Wi-Fi on property. This service is free to all of our owners, but is still accessible to all other guests for a fee which can be settled at the front desk. We apologize if this caused any inconvenience during your stay. We hope to see you the next time you’re in Gatlinburg.

There are newer reviews for Westgate Smoky Mountain Resort & Spa

Reviewed 17 August 2014

We decided to take a time share tour after we were approached in Gatliburg with a gift of $100. So of course we took the tour. Its a beautiful place and the people there were very friendly until you tell them that what they are offering you is not right for you. My husband and I were very interested in buying into the timeshare program. The problem started when my husband would not go to the 5th floor..(he is scared of heights) they acted as if that was the worst sin in the world, after a few choice words, they were able to show us a suite on the ground floor. After looking at everything, we decided that it was not for us. Our sales person just got up and left us sitting there. Her manager was very rude also. If this is the way they treat people, no wonder they have to pay them to come in. They are very pushes sales people. The tour was suppose to last 90-120 minutes, we were there for over 3 hours.

11  Thank karen p
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at Westgate Smoky Mountain Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2015

Thank you so much for sharing your review. In order to qualify for any gifts and incentives the tour must be completed however, it is purely voluntary whether you want to purchase or not. If a staff member was less than friendly, we’d like to sincerely apologize as this is manner is not our standard or service. Nonetheless, we appreciate your feedback and hope you allow us another opportunity to provide you with a more relaxing stay in the future.

Lissy

Reviewed 16 August 2014

First, I want to say that I did not stay at Westgate as a part of a promotional offer. I did not receive anything free to stay here. If you are staying here, you should know it is NOT a hotel, even though they market themselves as such.
We were first time visitors to Gatlinburg. I was looking to rent a cabin from a private owner. After looking on VRBO, I decided to stay at Westgate because I felt that there would be more amenities for my kids. That really wasn't the case. The wifi was $9.95 a DEVICE, the pools were tiny (small enough to be in your backyard) and the arcade was an overpriced joke. The shuttle waits were long. If you are lucky enough to have an employee stop and pick you up on a golf cart, say a quick prayer because you could be about to go on Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.
We stayed in two separate rooms during the trip. One was a deluxe bedroom in building 4000. It had a stunning view and was very nice. My kids loved the jetted tub. The second room was a studio in the same building. The only window it had faced the parking lot and the main hall. The only way you could have natural light in the room was if you wanted everyone to see inside your bedroom. There was no bathtub at all. Both rooms had washers and dryers, but the fireplaces wreaked of natural gas when we lit them.
Now here is my favorite part - check in is absolute chaos. We arrived early and were told that we would be called when our room was ready. That call never came. When we came back to the resort, we had to wait to be escorted to our room by our personal concierge. Now I have seen Westgate respond to reviews saying that this is "optional", but believe me, they don't tell you that when you get there.
Our concierge - Brett - an evangelist who is Westgate's top salesman told us that he was totally committed to making our stay amazing. He gave us his cell phone number and told us he has his phone by his bed. We were welcome to call him day and night. Then Brett went on to give us his sales speech and offered us waterpark tickets and wifi if we would come to a 90 minute sales pitch. We initially agreed. We were then told that we would be charged for the services and the charges would be deleted after we went on the tour. After reading many reviews, I found several people stating that the presentation went on for several hours. My husband called him later that night and stated that we had decided not to attend and we would not be using the wifi or waterpark. Here is the funny thing, we never heard from our personal concierge the rest of our stay, not even when we had to change rooms. The man so committed to our stay disappeared from the face of the Earth. Very slimy. I am so glad that we didn't bother to go on the tour.
In hindsight, I would have been better off staying at a private rental. I would have had more amenities for the money. The long waits at the shuttle stops gave us lots of time to talk to owners. Some of the words that we heard were - "empty promises, lies and scammed" This timeshare pretending to be a hotel is ranked #22 on Trip Advisor for a reason.

Room Tip: Don't stay anywhere but the 3000, 4000 or 5000 buildings. Also, do not get a studio. There is...
6  Thank Phyllisluv
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at Westgate Smoky Mountain Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2014

Thank you for your feedback. We’re sorry to hear you did not enjoy the tour presentation we offer at our resort. As a timeshare resort we do offer the opportunity to all of our guests and owners to take a tour to find out the latest updates and possible become a new owner. We do offer free incentives to take the tour, like breakfast and waterpark tickets. However, the tour is purely voluntary and is not mandatory. We apologize if a member of staff was pushy or less than courteous. That is definitely not our standard our how we train our staff to treat our owners and guests. We appreciate you bringing this to our attention as we will pass along this information to our resort management team. We hope this will not keep you from visiting us again so we can exceed your expectations.

Reviewed 15 August 2014

What a wonderful experience for the whole family. Wifi is included in the resort fee which covers the normal service add ons. Not sure why people say it's not free unless they refused to pay the resort fee. The waterpark, playground, activity area with Smores over the fire, and ice cream shop were a big hit with our family. We didn't have a chance to try the restaurant and sports bar. The marketplace was very convienient for anything we needed as well.
I can't say enough about the staff and manangement. They are all outstanding and cared about us and made sure we were having a great experience. There is nothing they won't do to make sure of this. Needless to say I'm very impressed! Most negatives on here are people looking for cheap deals tied to tours or owners that are unhappy. I don't think this is the place for that as I read reviews to understand what kind of vacation experience I could expect and they delivered beyond my expectations. Westgate I'm very impressed with Gatlinburg and will be back!

2  Thank Claire D
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at Westgate Smoky Mountain Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2014

Thank you so much for posting such a kind and detailed review here on TripAdvisor, so that other travelers may learn more of the Westgate Smoky Mountain Resort and our staff.

We appreciate the time you set aside to share your feedback and we are thrilled to read about your amazing experience.

The best form of advertising any company has is word of mouth, and we are always delighted when the word being spread is good.

Thank you again and we hope to see you back real soon.

Reviewed 15 August 2014

We had a good stay at Westgate. The location is between Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg.
The resort has a winding road off from Parkway that is very east to miss if you aren't paying attention or familiar with the area. I do not like that you have to drive to visit the other attractions in Gatlinburg or Pigeon Forge, but I think that was designed to keep you on their resort though. The staff is friendly and the grounds are beautiful.

Personally, I loved the little arcade inside the lobby and the water park was great. I'm such a big kid at times. The views were nice as well, especially in the spring. I believe the family will be back for another stay.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank qngardner

Thank you very much for taking the time to share the details of your recent stay at our resort on TripAdvisor.

We are so happy to hear that you had an amazing vacation with us at the Westgate Smoky Mountain Resort; that you enjoyed our location and amenities.

We strive to provide exceptional accommodations and a variety of onsite amenities, while being conveniently located to local attractions.

Thank you again for your feedback, we appreciate your comments and we hope you choose Westgate Resorts for your next visit to the Gatlinburg area.

Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

After staying our first 4 nights at another small older hotel (see other review) in Gatlinburg we had 2 nights booked here. We picked this "hotel" because of the water park we thought we would take kids to. When we pulled into hotel there was nowhere designated to park and check in. After checking in they called another girl over to talk to me about a free breakfast and small 1.5 hour talk about the resort, crud it's a timeshare. She wasn't real pushy which was good but then she called another guy over to show us to our room. So we followed another guy on a golf cart to our room. We went down stairs to get to our room. He showed us where the bedroom was and turned on the icemaker. Ok thanks but seriously not tipping for that. He didn't even ask if needed help with our luggage. We made reservations for the deluxe room with kitchen because we bought groceries before and at their store to cook breakfast and eat leftovers. First night we just stayed at resort. We sat on the non private balcony (you can see everyone's balcony for at least 3 cabins....luxury?) with rain dripping onto us from top balcony. The walls are so think you can hear people talking, phone ringing and people walking about (luxury?). The morning we tried to make pancakes but the stove did not work. Only one burner worked for a few min and then stopped. Microwave did not have any power. Ahhhh back up plan I can make toast! Well half the toaster worked where I had to flip the toast to get both sides done. Ugh! Then I went to get the laundry and the darn soap did not dispense ! So we asked kids if they wanted to do the waterpark or go spend day doing other things in Pigeon forge? Luckily they picked Pigeon because I didn't want to spend my money here. I went to front desk to tell them about our room, oh yeah deadbolt didn't work either, and the supervisor said he would give us a credit for one of our nights and it would show up in a couple days on my credit card. Ok so left but was thinking Hummm i need a printout or something. Next morning I went to check out and asked for a printout. They would not give me one if I had not asked. They DO charge 9.95 a day for wifi !!!! Luxury??? Who doesn't give free wifi anymore?? Oh and it's hidden as "resort fee" and just figured that out. When lady gave me my printout there was nothing about my room credit. The supervisor said to me yeah it will be there. Well I'd like a printout because you know the whole idea was just to get rid of me and then not give me refund you promised and then id have to call and getting a refund once I was out of the way would be a BIG headache!!! So the supervisor messed with the computer for 15 min trying to just give me a printout. He then asked what credit card I wanted it credited back to? (Wait didn't you already tell me that it was processing and it would take 24-48 hrs) so then after some more time he asked for the card and then finally got it to print showings a credit and gave me a note saying about the credit signed by him. I was real nice about it and he was friendly but I felt it was such a scam! So I ask again how is this a luxury resort HOTEL?? Hotel means you make me coffee in the am and make my beds and give me fresh towels! You need to say your a timeshare! Or condo
Room which would mean I do all those things. Also this place is just busy with trams moving people around the resort , people on golf carts trying to give private tours to sucker you into BUYiNg! There are two SMALL pools for the whole place! Kids didn't even care to go because they did not look fun and were crowded. If you think this is luxury then you need to do some more traveling first! I wish we would of read more reviews and stayed at the first HOTEL we were at. AVOID this TIMESHARE!!
I will never stay at a westgate place again! I will only go to cocoa beach pier which sadly they own.

• Stayed: August 2014
5  Thank nmeoct
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at Westgate Smoky Mountain Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2014

Thank you for sharing your experience. We’re sorry to hear you were not happy during your stay. We are a timeshare resort and we do offer timeshare presentations in return for free incentives like breakfast or waterpark tickets. This presentation is completely voluntary and not mandatory. We give all our guests the opportunity to see our units and what we offer. We apologize if you had issues with your unit. We do have maintenance staff on site that is there to assist you with any issues you may have. Our resort is rather large, so we do offer a shuttle service to take our owners and guests around. We’re sorry to hear this was an annoyance to you, but we understand how tiring it can be to walk up and down the mountain. We provide this to make our guests’ vacation just a little more enjoyable. We hope you will allow us another chance to provide you with outstanding service.

Reviewed 14 August 2014

Grounds were beautiful,, staff was extremely attentive. Room was a bit small (Studio), walls were extremely thin (you can hear conversations from other rooms). I feel as tho for the money, the indoor water park should be included, there shouldn't be an additional charge.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at Westgate Smoky Mountain Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

We appreciate you taking a moment to write a review on you most recent stay with us at the Westgate Smoky Mountain Resort.

It pleases us to read that you found our resort to be “beautiful” and our staff “extremely attentive”.

Your concern regarding the additional charge for the waterpark will be shared with our management team for further review.

Please come back to stay with us again!