“Great lodge!”

Bearskin Lodge on the River Hotel
Ranked #8 of 78 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Reviewed 21 November 2013

We have stayed here several times while in Gatlinburg and we really enjoy this lodge. Our room had a gas fireplace and a two person jacuzzi and a balcony right on the River. A great location, you can walk to downtown where there is always something to do. It is also near many fine restaurants and shops. There is a complimentary breakfast which is quite good and has a variety of items. This hotel has the feel of a rustic lodge; a fun place to stay!

Room Tip: Choose a room on the River.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Bearskin Lodge on the River Hotel

Reviewed 18 November 2013

Lodge is like new & very clean. Convenient to walking around town & to the Peddler for a steak dinner (right next door). They have a fire going in the lobby fireplace & offer fresh baked cookies...so welcoming when you walk in! Staff was friendly and room was nice. We will stay here again!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony on the river...and a jacuzzi :)
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 November 2013 via mobile

Nice room. Nice view of city. Convenient location. Plenty of parking (during the week)
Room spacious and clean.
Front desk staff pretty curious.
One problem. Fitness room rather small and the card key had to be reactivated each day.
No major qualms. Will stay there again.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 November 2013

We stayed at the Bear Skin Lodge for the second time this past October and once again they did not disappoint. The room was clean, sheets and towels still white and not gray like so many other hotels of equal value. There was always at least one person at the front desk who was nice and helpful and able to answer questions, etc. We had to check out a day early due to sick pups at home and this was no problem for the hotel. They were very kind and understanding. The breakfast was always good and available when we went...fully stocked and not overly crowded as we were out early. This is our go-to hotel now and we love it! One note... we spend our days hiking in the mountains or wondering around Gatlinburg, so have no use for the pool and can't comment on it. We did notice on one brisk evening they had the fire pit going in the pool area which looked nice and cozy, but we had spent the day in the mountains and were too tired to check it out for long!

Room Tip: We had a river side room which was very quiet and peaceful. They do face another building but it...
Reviewed 28 October 2013

We checked in on October 27th, room 510. We had only one issue and that was during check in. The man at the front desk told us they do not offer a military discount. However, I had emailed ahead of time and was told, by email, that with a military ID we would receive 10% off our reservation. Although, the front desk wasn't really wanting to offer the discount, he finally did. I'm OCD about cleanliness and I must say...our room was spotless. I found out later that Jackie was the one who cleaned our room. I found her in the hallway and thanked her for spending the extra time to make sure it was spot on. She truly had the room immaculate! The bed and pillow were soft (which is my preference). I must warn that anytime your neighbors run water or open a door, your going to hear it. I'm very sensitive to smells and found none other than cleaning agents in the hallway and room. Our balcony did have its outside light burnt out, but we were thankful, so that it didn't attract bugs and allowed us a better view. We did not find a channel guide in our room, which was a little aggravating. The complimentary breakfast had red apples, granny smith apples, bananas, cereal, gravy and biscuit (which had no flavor), waffles, orange juice, apple juice and coffee. The breakfast is located on the third floor and available from 7 to 10. Not alot of seating though. In the lobby, in the late afternoon you will find fresh baked cookies. The hotel is backed up to a stream, which offers pleasant sounds, I sat on the balcony from 3am to 6am, just to take it in (I'm a night owl).....But warning....the run down family inn behind it does distract to some degree. While it is vacant.....it still is an eyesore to some degree. I focused and listened to the running creek....so my mind was distracted. You are a few doors down from Bennett's BBQ (which I will eventually review) and across the street from SugarLand Winery and then KFC is catty cornered... (avoid their bathroom its awful/nasty). All the staff at Bearskin Lodge were friendly and helpful to us. The lazy river (which was closed due to the season) was tiny....so that would only entertain the kids for a few minutes. The pool looked slightly larger than a jacuzzi.....after a couple of rooms, it would be filled to capacity. The outdoor fire pits were located between the lazy river and small pool. We never saw them lit while we were there. Would we stay there again? Yes. It was very clean (thanks to Jackie!) We loved the fireplace in our room and the rooms were larger than most.

Room Tip: We didn't visit any fitness center and/or restaurant.
1  Thank relaxingwithnature
Reviewed 28 October 2013

For our anniversary, my husband and I spent two nights in a cabin on a mountaintop at the resort where we were married but we also wanted to spend one night downtown, so we chose the Bearskin Lodge for our last night. I love the location, it's downtown but not right in the middle of the noise (I tend to like quietness when I'm trying to sleep). You can walk really easily to the heart of the action.

They were sold out of king beds but I waited until a few days before our arrival to book the room, so that was totally understandable, so we got a room with two queens. I also chose a city view which we both enjoyed. I liked breakfast....lots of options. I got waffles and biscuits and my husband got fruit and waffles. There was also cereal and some other things.

Front desk guys were very nice to us, as was the other staff we encountered in the halls. Our room was super clean, as was the bathroom. If we were going to be staying longer I would have chosen a fireplace and balcony but for one night I didn't figure we'd need it.

The last thing is, that bed was the most comfy thing EVER. My bed at home is not even that comfortable, I slept so good!!!! Thanks for a great time, I would stay here again!

Reviewed 27 October 2013 via mobile

We checked in with another couple on the 24th of October 2013 and had a reservation until the 28th. We left early. The room was ok, the bathroom was not. There was mold on the ceiling tiles, door frame, and in the shower. We told housekeeping and nothing was ever done about it. The bathroom was only cleaned once in the 3 nights we were there. The fireplace had a terrible smell when we turned it on so we could not use it. The front desk staff was rude most days and completely clueless about area attractions. When asked about purchasing attraction tickets for attractions shown on the hotel website and after showing them the site and attraction we meant we were told, " Well I don't know what or where that is and we don't have tickets here." We called the day before check in and were told we could get tickets there. We were also told there was a free zipline ticket for our reservation and when we asked about it we were told no. Bottom line... I will NEVER recommend this place to anyone and I will NEVER stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2013
6  Thank littlecbwife
General M, Manager at Bearskin Lodge on the River Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 October 2013

Thank you for taking a moment to tell us about your concerns with your recent stay at Bearskin Lodge. Our goal is for every guest to leave satisfied, and we failed you. We have a room inspector daily, and we have not encountered similar issues so far. We do take comments like this seriously, so we will make sure to look at ourselves and correct any problems immediately. We have Maintenance on call 24 hours a day and our Manager can be reached 24 hours a day in person, over the phone, or via email.

We do sell a variety of tickets to several attractions. However, we do not have all the updated information on everyone’s businesses and we cannot sell everyone’s tickets. Bearskin Lodge has some great partnerships with some of the best area businesses, but with so many in town, we cannot know everything about everyone. Our major partners are Ripley’s, NOC, Country Tonite, and Apple Barn. We also recommend Ober Gatlinburg, Ole Smoky Moonshine, Sugarlands Winery, and Peddler Restaurant. We hope you will give the Bearskin Lodge another chance on your next visit to the Smokies. Bearskin Lodge truly is a special place!