“I 'used' to love this place.”

Bearskin Lodge on the River Hotel
Ranked #8 of 78 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Brampton, Canada
“I 'used' to love this place.”
Reviewed 20 March 2014

When we drive home from Florida a nice half way point is Gatlinburg. We love the cheesy shopping, great restaurants, and of course the hikes in the Smoky mountains. The past few years we stayed at the Bearskin Lodge and quite enjoyed our stay. This time however was a completely different matter. We arrived after driving 12 hours on fri march 14, we arrived at 3:30, our room was not ready. We sat at the fireplace and waited another half hour. We watched as others arrived and asked what floor they would like etc. Finally my husband went to the desk and asked about our room, they finally had one ready. I wonder if they forgot we were sitting right in front of them. Anyways not a big deal. We were happy to be back. The room was clean, comfortable, I love the fireplace, and the in room hot tub. Where our stay went horribly wrong happened at midnight. Water started pouring in from the ceiling over the hot tub. It woke us all with a splash. Water was streaming in. My husband moved the ceiling panel over and saw it was coming from a the hot tub pipes above us. We called down and alerted them. No one came to our room, we waited over and hour, when my husband had to call again.they said they went to went to the room above ours, but it was clear the leak was coming from some rusted pipes under their tub. I guess they just told the people above us not to use their tub. My husband asked for some extra towels which they provided. We had to clean all the water ourselves, and stuff the ceiling so the constant dripping water noises wouldn't keep us up all night. It was now 3 am. The next day we informed the front desk again, and told them we were going for breakfast and asking if anyone would be fixing anything. When we got back the room was clean. The panel replaced, however the wet towels were still stuffed in the ceiling as my husband checked. Around 5'pm someone called, they wanted to know if our ceiling was fixed. We told them we were out. The guy had no idea if anyone came to the room, he just saw the note about the leak. My husband asked to speak to a manager, he told us there are no managers around on the weekend. It was a sold out weekend and couldn't move us to another room. No manager on a sold out weekend. In the morning when my husband stopped by the front desk we were told a manager would be in soon, it was already 11 am. Sat night more water leaking, more being up all night. No one cared, no one called, no one apologized, no one knew if there was even a manager around, no one knew if the leak was fixed. When we checked out my husband was furious when asked 'how was your stay'" again no manager to speak to, we had a 12 hour drive with hardly any sleep for 2 nights, no one cared. The front desk lady gave us 50$ off our stay. Personally we shouldn't have had to pay anything. For 2 sleepless nights, no ones knows what's going on in that place. The customer service used to be so good. It's sad to say but we won't go back, it's obvious they can't handle any problems, no customer service, no manager on duty on a sold out weekend. My husband even said have a manager call us when one is in on Monday, of course we haven't heard from anyone. So instead of calling the Bearskin yet again to let them know of our horrible stay I will write it here. It's a nice hotel, but there are lots of nice hotels in Gatlinburg, and if this one doesn't care about repeat clients. Maybe the next will.

10 Thank Saganx
General M, General Manager at Bearskin Lodge on the River Hotel, responded to this review, 24 March 2014
First, we want to express our most sincere apologies for your terrible stay at Bearskin Lodge. We pride ourselves on great service, exceptional rooms, and a safe and happy destination. Apparently we let you down. What you probably do not want is a long list of excuses, so please accept our apologies and we would love it if you could give us another chance. The issues brought to our attention have been corrected. Unfortunately, the worst issues happen at the most inconvenient times. Our maintenance crew has worked hard to ensure this doesn't happen again! If we could earn your trust again, it would be our honor to have you as a guest. Next time will be worry-free!
If we can be of assistance, you can reach me, Tim George, General Manager, at 865.430.4330.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
Memphis, Tennessee
Reviewed 19 March 2014

My husband and I stayed at Bearskin Lodge March 14 and 15, 2014. We arrived around 2 and our room was not ready, which was fine. We walked to a locate deli that one of the hotel staff recommended. We got back and checked in. Our room was clean and spacious. We both were very disappointed in the beds. Both were very uncomfortable. They should be replaced. The room stayed hot, never cooled down. We were very impressed with the lady that was working in the breakfast area on Saturday morning. We missed the breakfast time, I had gotten sick. We stop by to see if I could get some juice. She was still cleaning up and welcome us in. Very accommodating.
The location is close to the village, all the shops and restaurants. Never have to get back into your auto while visiting.

Room Tip: Our beds were very uncomfortable. I wished I had reported it while there. We overheard the hotel cle...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank T P
Zephyrhills, Florida, United States
Reviewed 17 March 2014

My husband, our two young daughters (2&4) and I took a much need vacation from 3/09-03/14/2014. We booked this Lodge about 5 months in advance hoping to see a little snow and a different pace. After a long drive, it was wonderful to end up at a comfortable and clean lodge with a great location. The staff was friendly and the rooms were maintained very well everyday. We were all very comfortable and enjoyed sitting around the fire pits at the end of the day. It was a nice touch to have Hot Cocoa and cookies in the evening...especially when it's chilly outside. You need to be around when that is being served....it goes REALLY quick. There is a decent Continental breakfast, not much seating...again come early or you won't get a seat. They are open to suggestions from the hotel goers on how they can make you're stay better. You can make suggestions for breakfast options or whatever and they were very receptive to it. I would suggest now for them to look into the European style wall heater/ warmers to be installed in the rooms. Being so close to skiing, hiking, etc., our coats and boots got wet in the snow and there wasn't anywhere to let them dry unless you placed them over the heating unit. Just a thought....We would absolutely stay here again !!!

1 Thank T-c M
Bowling Green, Kentucky
Reviewed 13 March 2014

Stayed here 3/10/2014-3/13/2014

After years of staying in cabins in between Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg, we decided that we wanted to forego the constant driving and stay just in Gatlinburg this time around, which really helps with a 7-month old.

Upon our arrival we found plenty of parking, even under the hotel! When we walked in we were greeted by the friendly staff and they promptly got us checked in and on to our rooms; they even had fresh cookies and hot cocoa. We stayed in the Executive King with a city view and couldn't have been happier. The rooms were clean and updated, not a spec of dirt, dust, or anything out of place, just a great room, with a great view.

The morning continental breakfast was great, and had everything you could want from it. The lady on staff who works in the breakfast area is very friendly and is great with children.

The great thing about this hotel was the price for what you get. You get a great looking hotel inside and out, a very prompt and helpful staff, and location, location, location. We NEVER had to get in our car unless we wanted to go in the GSMNP or to Pigeon Forge. Also, on the days when you want to just take in the view, you can go behind the hotel and sit and enjoy the Little Pigeon river.

We will definitely be staying here every time we come to Gatlinburg.. Don't stay anywhere else, unless it's the sister hotel (Old Creek Lodge)

Room Tip: Some of the rooms have ajoining rooms, so if you don't want a door that shares two rooms, just a...
2 Thank Houston H
Metamorfosi, Greece
Reviewed 5 March 2014 via mobile

My wife, 2 kids, and I stayed from Feb. 28 to March 4. We loved it! The hotel is immaculately clean, and the rooms are wonderfully spacious. The hotel is just off the main parkway. We didn't drive at all, opting to walk the entire 4 days, and that's with a walking 4 year old! They have chocolate chip cookies and hot Cocoa every evening, which my son loved. The employees were amazingly friendly and accommodating. We are already planning on returning for Christmas. The Bearskin helped make this our best family vacation ever!!

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank whodat1214
General M, General Manager at Bearskin Lodge on the River Hotel, responded to this review, 4 April 2014
Thank you so much for your comments. We've added 24 hour coffee too! Those cookies in the afternoon are so yummy, and we are glad you enjoyed the cookies as well as your stay with us. Please come see us again next time!
Zebulon, North Carolina
Reviewed 5 March 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at Bearskin Lodge February 22-26. We had a wonderful time as always. We've stayed here several years and always find the Bearskin Lodge very accommodating. Everyone was very nice and the hotel was clean. The beds were comfortable and jacuzzi tub was very relaxing. We had a king executive suite overlooking the city. The room has a beautiful gas fireplace which makes it very cozy. We look forward to visiting Gatlinburg every year and certainly will be staying here when we come. Thanks so much!

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Janelle W
White House, Tennessee
Reviewed 2 March 2014

We came to Gatlinburg to celebrate our 30th anniversary. We wanted a place on the river and Bearskin Lodge delivered. Our room has a balcony overlooking the river and a gas fireplace. The room is very clean and the staff is attentive. The free breakfast was a pleasant way to start the day. The only thing I would change is the toilets...they are so low to the floor I felt like I was in my grandson's kindergarten room again! Americans are aging...low toilets are a hazard

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple