“Mixed Feelings...”

Ranked #8 of 78 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Knoxville, TN
“Mixed Feelings...”
Reviewed 4 November 2008

My boyfriend and I stayed here this past Saturday. It is a nice hotel, a little high on the price but compared to others around it was a good deal. I saw others comment on the carpet staining. I did notice that but nothing that was too bad to ruin my stay. Luckily there were 2 queen beds in the room we had. On one of the beds decor pillows had a mysterious white stain that should have been noticed and cleaned. We did not complain or let it be known to the staff because the other bed was fine and we didn't want to make a big deal. The elevator is very slow but again not a big deal.

The check out time in noon which I think is great! The only thing that put me off about this place was how rushed they seemed to be to get us out of the room. I understand there is a check out time and they need to get the rooms cleaned BUT we were on our way out of the room at 12:03 ( I looked at my cell phone) and someone knocked on our door to make sure we were leaving! The cleaning cart was all the way down on the other end of the hallway so they weren't needing to clean our room right away. 12:15-12:30 I can see someone knocking on the door because some people over sleep but 3 minutes! Come on!

Another thing that irritated me was when we were getting off the elevator to leave one of the housekeeping ladies was yelling loudly on her cell phone in Spanish or whatever language she spoke. That was rude and uncalled for.

The Peddler beside the hotel is AWESOME. It is expensive but worth it for a special night.

Have mixed feelings about staying here again. Not sure if I will or not.

• Liked — It was right next to the restaurant we ate at and close to shops.
  • Disliked — The quickness to get us out of the room.
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (245)
Ohio
Reviewed 26 October 2008

Reviewed the Bearskin Lodge online and liked the fireplace and balcony over the creek room with jacuzzi tub. Rates quoted on the web site for AARP members was a 10% discount. Upon checking in at the front desk that evening (5pm), told they we're not honoring the discount and if I had booked it online they would remove it per the manager. I hadn't booked online so I accepted the going rate and took the room. We found it to be nice and enjoyed our stay but this is the first time I was refused a discount that was advertised on their website. Stayed on a Monday night October 20th 2008.

3 Thank kov57
OHIO
Reviewed 23 October 2008

Some of the reviews we read before staying at the Bearskin Lodge On The River had us concerned. I am glad to report that our experience at the Lodge was great. The staff was VERY helpful and friendly The room was large and very nicely decorated in a mountain lodge theme. Loved the fireplace. The balcony over the river was quiet and you could here the water sounds. True there is another hotel across from this one but you are in Gatlinburg, this was not a problem. The breakfast was very nice the room is not huge but seats 28+. An attendent keeps everything well stocked. Four different cereals, fruit, eggs (hard boiled), pastry, coffee, milk, juice toast and fresh made waffles. What more could you want. We never found the room overly crowded. The location is fine we could walk most places and plenty of restraunts close by. They do get crowded so use call ahead seating (a tip from the staff). We would stay here again and would recommend this hotel to family and friends. We travel alot in the U.S. and abroad and we do feel some of these reviews are not giving a fair discription of this hotel

• Liked — Decor, size of rooms, balcony, fireplace
  • Disliked — One small elevator, pool is small
1 Thank K8E1
Washington State
Reviewed 20 October 2008

We really enjoyed our stay at the Bearskin lodge on the River. We were a little concerned from the reviews about the staff not being helpful. From the moment we made a reservation, the woman who helped us was more then helpful, she even gave my wife and I ideas of tourist attractions close to the lodge. Once we arrived at the lodge we were greeted by the girl at the desk as well as the young man who helped me find a buggy and he helped with the doors to since they weren't automatic. Our family will continue to stay at the lodge everytime we visit Gatlinburg!

• Liked — The little fireplace in our room, kept my family warm and cozy all night!
  • Disliked — The price was a little high.
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank p_a_v_h
Knoxville TN
Reviewed 20 October 2008

The hotel was extremely overpriced. It is old and needs renovatiion. We paid $160.00 and the room did not even have a tissue box. We got 1 tiny bottle of shampoo. The carpets are worn and in need of replacing. The hotel needs paint, etc.etc. We will never stay there again.

4 Thank kukura7
Wetumpka, Alabama
Reviewed 15 October 2008

We stayed at the BearSkin for our 36 wedding anniversary and were really expecting a better place for what we paid. The carpet looked as if it has never been cleaned and the floor we stayed(2nd) on had a burnt moter smell( they said it was the elevator motor). We had Lady Bugs at the windows and behind the drapes, although they did not bother us. I will say the staff was nice and proffessional. I will like to complement the Lady that ran the Breakfast Bar as it was clean and she kept right on top of everything, as soon as you used any equipment she was right there cleaning and putting everthing back in place. I do think that if and when we return to Gatlinburg we will stay elsewhere.

• Liked — Breakfast Bar
  • Disliked — Condition of room
5 Thank WetumpkaErod
Knoxville,TN
Reviewed 7 October 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Bearskin Lodge for our 33rd wedding anniversary. We couldn't have been more pleased. The room was delightful with a king bed and fireplace. The view of the river from our balcony was beautiful. We enjoyed watching a lone fisherman in the river trying to catch something. We are not sure what. The hotel was very quiet, which was pleasing to us.

The location is fabulous, being next door to the Peddler and a block away from the Park restaurant, two of Gatlinburgs finest. The National Park is just minutes away.

We found the staff to be friendly and courteous. The housekeeping staff was not intrusive and did a wonderful job.

We look forward to coming back to the Bearskin Lodge. Gatlinburg doens't offer anything finer.

• Liked — The abundance of space in our room and the mountain decor.
  • Disliked — Had to leave to return to regular life.
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple