“very nice” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #9 of 77 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Paducah, Kentucky, United States
“very nice”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

having stayed in gatlinburg a bunch this was one of the newer up to date hotels. its right at the entrance of the national park. it has lazy pool and offers rooms with fire places everything was cute bear themed stuff even the lobby had a bunch of bears . my room faced the front of the hotel no balcony tho which was fine . everything was nice and clean. everything worked well in the room and the beds weren't bad. we also had a handicapped room because we arrived late. the bath room would be great for someone in a wheel chair. they did a good job with it. the price based on other places i have stayed at was on the higher end . but wasn't outrageous. i would stay again in summer so i could use the lazy pool. if you are wanting to walk to the strip with out paying to park you can however you will have a little long walk to the main section but its doable. near by is a Texas roadhouse so wouldn't take long to walk to dinner if you wanted . i recommend stopping at any rest areas on the way they usually have coupons for rooms and can save you some money!

Room Tip: get one on the upper floors. you can see half of a mnt out the front
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
Joliet, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

This hotel is at the edge of Gatlinburg, next to the National Park. It's within walking distance to everything on the parkway, which is why we've chosen to stay at this hotel several times. Our room overlooked the river in back of the hotel, and we enjoyed using and relaxing on the balcony where there were two chairs and a small table. Be aware that just on the other side of the river is another hotel, so you'll also have a nice view of it as well.
The breakfast area is small and usually crowded, so we just grab a cup of coffee and have breakfast elsewhere. There is a late afternoon snack of lemonade and cookies, if you arrive early enough. The pool and lazy river are quite small, and we enjoy the firepits (though the area is noisy due to the equipment room that's right next to the seating area).
Rooms are a nice size, but in need of updates. Our beds sagged in the middle. Bathrooms are small. Toilet and shower are in one space with a door that barely closes, and the sink/mirror/hair dryer/coffee pot is just outside the bathroom. The refrigerator is under the sink. Our room didn't have a microwave.
No closet, but ample space for hanging clothes on a rack. There are a number of electric outlets throughout the room along with wi-fi.
The rooms that we've stayed in have had a gas fireplace.
The location is great, the beds are not.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Winchester, Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014

I stayed here with my wife and two small children. Our room had a balcony overlooking the river with a whirlpool bathtub on the fifth floor. I could not ask for a better location. We had quick easy access to the National Park as well as a trail within walking distance from the hotel. It was also within walking distance of most every restaurant I care to eat at in Gatlinburg. The Ober Gatlinburg tramway was not much more than across the street.

The free breakfast was quite satisfying. It would not be worth paying for, but there was a waffle maker, biscuits and gravy, cereal, and a good selection of breakfast danishes.

I have no complaints about the cleanliness. I do have a few concerns about some minor maintenance issues no being repaired. I hope this hotel does not become what so many Gatlinburg hotels have become (A run down dump). The only major issue I had was no fault of hotel management. When we arrived the people below us were smoking weed on the balcony and the smell engulfed our room. As I said this is no fault of management and I solved the issue myself.

Being that our balcony overlooked the river, we also had a view of the travel lodge across the river. Some of the things that went on over there at night were mildly entertaining.

Without a doubt I would stay at this hotel again due to its prime location.

Room Tip: I enjoyed our fifth floor balcony.
1 Thank KennethGragg
Norfolk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014

We really enjoyed our stay. We had two rooms with a fireplace, jacuzzi tub and balconies over the riverbed. Trees blocked our view of hotel across from us - we only heard the water and birds. The breakfast room was small and tended to get crowed. Items included waffle makers, coffee, cereal, juices, fruit, and assorted breads, muffins, and pastries. The Lodge is located one street over from the main road. Across from it is KFC, Old Dads deli, Sugarland Winery and next to it is The Peddler Steakhouse. The Lodge has a very small lazy river and small pool located in front of hotel (next to street/traffic light). The kids (ages 5 & 8) enoyed it. I definitely would stay again and recommend it to anyone headed to Gatlinburg. It is convenient to the Great Smokey Mountains and about 5 miles south of Pigeon Forge. Love, Loved the area!!!

Room Tip: Balcony rooms on back of hotel are very quiet.
1 Thank TravelerGurlNorfolk
Oak Hill
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

My family stayed at Bearskin last weekend. Reality and the website depiction are on different spectrums. The hotel is older which would not have been an issue had it been kept updated and clean. We witnessed a middle age housekeeping male having an argument with the front desk staff; on the third floor the housekeeping door was wide open and the lady sitting at the desk was having a fit with another housekeeper; a piece of 1 inch broken plastic laid in the hallway at least two days and was still there when we left; the front desk was eating pizza at the desk; our coach in the room was dirty I laid sheets on it before sitting. The gravy was watered down. Only one staff member made eye contact and said hello. She was a nice young asian girl. The rest of the staff acted like they hated their jobs and could care less if you stayed there. Had I had confidence that the staff could competently refund my credit card we would have left shortly after arriving. I work in management and leadership is definitely lacking in this establishment.

• Stayed August 2014
      Location
3 Thank McGuireA
Dallas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

We really enjoyed staying here. The decor is a bit corny but fits with the area. It is literally on the doorstep of the park and the people who work there are very helpful and friendly. The rooms were large and well appointed but the breakfast area is really small and there were not nearly enough seats for the crowd that arrived about 9. If you want breakfast, eat at 7 or go to one of the many pancake houses you will find on every corner.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
      Location
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Hebron
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

We are repeat customers of this property. We have stayed several times since it opened 14 years ago. The property underwent a major renovation in the past 3 or so years. We had a reservation this past week for my husband and I for a long get-away weekend for our anniversary. We did not arrive until after 7pm and were politely greeted by the man at the front desk. We had a reservation for a deluxe king room on the river. We requested to have a room at the far right side of the hotel (if you are looking at it from the front). The other riverfront rooms are facing another hotel's balconies directly. No privacy. It's not a romantic room "on the river" where you can sit and have a glass of wine. We were told that none were available. We went to the room assigned to us and I am one to always "go over" the room. I checked the beds and when I pulled up the bedding there was an area of dried vomit on the bottom corner of the bed near the boxspring. I called down and requested that we get another room and was told there was only one left to choose from. The hotel was not booked by any means. We went to the new room and I once again checked around. This time there was a large amount of hair at the top of the bed on the boxspring at the headboard. I am posting photos. The bathtub was warped at the bottom and awkward to use. Our feet kept slipping to the center. The cleanliness of the rooms is to be desired. The carpet needs replacing and is worn. Housekeeping came around 4 to clean our room and we had been out hiking all day and were getting ready for dinner. I told her we would be out in around 15 minutes. She couldn't understand English and when I told her again, she let me know ours was her last room until she could go home. Really rude. I would have given it a "poor" rating based on what we endured with the cleanliness, but we have stayed other times and not had this experience.
Unless housekeeping changes and improves considerably, we won't be back. It's too bad, because we know what the property can be like.

Room Tip: Request far right of the hotel when you look at it from the front, otherwise you are staring at the...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple