“Hidden treasure off the beaten path”

Bearskin Lodge on the River Hotel
Ranked #8 of 78 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Dayton
“Hidden treasure off the beaten path”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2009

Although I visit Gatlinburg relatively often, this is the first time I have stayed at this hotel. I thought the hotel looked nice on the website, although I admit I was concerned about some of the negative reviews other travelers have given, as well as the fact that the hotel is at the exact opposite end of town from where I usually stay. Nonetheless, I wanted to stay somewhere "different", and so we chose this place.

I couldn't have been more pleased. The accommodations were wonderful: clean, homey, well decorated, and comfortable. Since it was Christmas time, the inviting lobby was decorated impeccably. I also found that by staying at this end of town, I discovered some additional restaurants, bars and shops that I had only driven by during previous trips, and thus hadn't even really noticed.

The room was equipped with two queen beds, a jacuzzi and a fireplace, and had a balcony overlooking the river. I was surprised that when the door to the balcony was closed, there was no river noise whatsoever. The fireplace added just the right ambience, and I found that I felt like I was at home. I couldn't find a speck of dirt anywhere in the hotel, completely unlike other reviews had led me to believe. Perhaps the place has been renovated since some of the other reviews were posted.

I will definitely stay at the Bearskin again when I'm in town, and would happily recommend it to others.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
grant county, in
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2009

We spent 3 nights and have nothing but good things to say. We had the double queen room , river side, fireplace, and jacuzzi. The room was nicely decorated and the entry door was nice and thick to keep the hallway noise out. We had a nice view of the changing leaves outside on our balcony. The breakfast was nice with make-your-own waffles, boiled eggs, hot/cold cereals. The hotel is close to the main strip which is within walking distance. I would highly recommend this place and would return.

Port Matilda, PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2009

Spent 2 nights in late September. Nice, clean - w/AAA discount our jacuzzi/fireplace/queen was about $100/nt +taxes. Reasonable for what we got, small balcony overlooks ROARING creek, too noisy to sit out due to rainfall previous wk. Very convenient to everything. VERY NICE breakfast, nice choices, nothing fancy but very adequate.

Would def return!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
Greenville, SC
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2009

Queen size bed $135. Overlooking street. Asked for different room. Got 2 queen sized beds overlooking river $145. They charge extra for the second bed. Hotel is old and needs updating. Air con very noisy. Turned it off. Shower is old. No amenities. At 5 AM they emptied the dumpster 2 floors down. Big truck. Bashed dumpster against truck to empty it. Woke everyone on that end of hotel. Front desk staff not rude, but very cold. Asked for directions and was essentially told they had no map and couldn't help us with local directions. Intended to stay 2 nights, but checked out after one.

Not worth the money.

3 Thank ArthurMF
Northern VA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2009

The hotel is located near the entrance to the Great Smoky Mountain National Park, and allows you to utilize the Gatlinburg Pass to and from Pigeon Forge/Sevierville. This can save you a lot of time and frustration as traffic through Gatlinburg is a bit of a nuisance. The restaurant is also located next door to two worthwhile restaurants: The Peddler and Bennett's Pit BBQ. It is only a short walk to all attractions in Gatlinburg, but still secluded from the main thoroughfare giving some peace from the hustle and bustle. The room itself was well-kept with one exception: the internet cable was somewhat dysfunctional. Be sure to bring a spare, and you'll be fine. I'd also avoid paying extra for a room "on the river" as it's just a little stream, and there is another hotel on the other side of it. Nothing too worthwhile about it. If I return to Gatlinburg, I plan on staying here if I choose to stay in a hotel.

Winter Haven, FL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2009

After much research we settled on the Bearskin Lodge. We stayed in a 2 queen room, with a balcony overlooking the wonderful from parking lot. The room was nicely decorated, clean and included every ammentity we needed. The pool was a joke, as many other people have said. We're from Florida though, so swimming in their pool wasn't at the top of our list of priorities. If given the opportunity to visit Gatlinburg again, I would most likely stay at the Bearskin again!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
Kentucky
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2009

The room was nice but at night the elevator made noise and the shower leaked onto the floor the room's were poorly lit but the workout room was nice and the pool was very warm I recomend the hotel to anyone who justs wants to sleep

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family