“Great family hotel”

Ranked #17 of 78 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Westfield, Indiana
“Great family hotel”
Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

We really enjoyed our stay here. The hotel is clean & comfortable. They are close enough to all the attractions to be very convenient (especially with the free trolley that stops here). Staff is friendly & helpful. Breakfast area is a bit cramped but tasty with decent options.

Stayed July 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
Andover, Massachusetts
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We appreciated that this hotel is located just outside the downtown chaos of Gatlinburg. It was close enough to get there if we wanted but far enough away to give us a break from the crazy carnival atmosphere. Room was good overall.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 25 June 2014

We have stayed in many Marriott hotels across the country. This one was very good in terms of noise. The suite we were in was long and narrow, with bathroom towards the door and bedroom much farther from the door so we couldn't hear anything in the hallway. So, we didn't hear anything from all the kids that were sleeping there, nor could we hear our neighbors. The room is designed thoughtfully, with a Japanese flair that makes it relaxing. Our window looked out onto small cabins with a brook between us and them. No problems here. The room was clean.

Why 3@ stars? The bed desperately needs to be replaced - pronto. Both sides of the bed had deep cavities in them, with a mound in the middle separating the two sides. Just plain worn out. For the money we paid, and for the location, I expected more than that. In fact, I can't remember a single Marriott I've stayed in where this has been a problem, no matter the quality of the Inn, or the location. I didn't complain, and nor, apparently, have other customers - for months - so I don't know what their response would have been. But, I would think twice before going there again. Maybe I'll write them a letter...

Room Tip: Ask for one on an upper floor facing away from the street if you want quiet. There are a lot of kids...
5 Thank worldgottasee
General M, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Gatlinburg North, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
worldgottasee,
Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Fairfield Inn & Suites Gatlinburg, North. We appreciate your comments and take your feedback seriously. I do want to apologize to you for the "not so comfortable mattress" in your room. We want all of our guests to enjoy their stay with us and especially have a restful experience. Rest assured we are checking into the issue and will make the necessary changes. I would like to talk to you personally regarding your stay with us. Please call me at your earliest convenience. Thank you again for choosing to stay with us and we hope you will return in the future and allow us to provide you with a restful, relaxing, enjoyable stay.

Rachel Proffitt
865-430-3659
Ooltewah, Tennessee
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Great location, Good breakfast But disappointed in the quality and cleanliness of the Hotel. A average hotel at best Only one elevator in the building Capets need cleaning through out building
If you have Allergy problems DONT STAY here the entire building has a musty smell Each room has its own AC unit and our rooms air quality was poor We clogged up each time we walked in the the building. Paid 139.00 per night for a 89.00 at best room. IN NEED OF A ENTIRE REMODEL FROM TOP TO BOTTOM WILL NOT CONSIDER THIS ONE FOR THE NEXT STAY IN GATLINBURG KEEP LOOKING A BETTER VALUE CAN BE FOUND SOMEWHERE ELSE

Room Tip: None that I can advise
2 Thank pastorlakewood
General M, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Gatlinburg North, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Dear pastorlakewood,
Thank you for choosing to stay at Fairfield Inn & Suites Gatlinburg, North. Please accept our sincere apologies for your disappointing stay. We want nothing but the best for our guests and can assure you that we have shared your comments with our team. Our staff works very hard to keep our hotel in excellent condition and meet Marriott's high cleanliness standards. Should you return to our area in the future, we would love to have you back so we can demonstrate our quality of service you expect. If we may be of any additional assistance, please feel free to contact us.

Rachel Proffitt
Winchester, Tennessee
Reviewed 18 June 2014

This is a solid hotel for Gatlinburg. It is not in a great location, but the trolley stop in the parking lot somewhat makes up for this shortcoming. My kids enjoyed the slide on the pool and the overall cleanliness of the hotel was good. We took advantage of the free breakfast every morning.

I have stayed in quite a few hotels in Gatlinburg and have often been disappointed. Many Gatlinburg hotels are run down and not well kept. This Fairfield seems fairly new I really have no complaints other than the location. Upon further research I found a couple hotels owned by the same family with a better location that offer the same amenities for the most part. We will be trying one of these other hotels in a couple of months. I am hoping they are as well kept as the Fairfield.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Everett, WA
Reviewed 17 June 2014

This was our first (and hopefully not last visit) to the Smoky Mountains. We were looking for a place that would be comfortable for an extended stay and close enough to the national park. The Fairfield easily met these requirements.

Location

The hotel is located on the main highway between Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg. It close to the national park entrance but not in the heart of the downtown (which was just fine for the two of us). There was plenty of free parking available. On one side of the hotel was a pancake restaurant (open for breakfast only) and package store (beer, wine, etc). On the other side was a mini golf course (see separate review on that). The local trolley bus makes a loop through the hotel parking lot. There is a gas station just beyond the mini golf. Overall the location was very convenient for our needs.

Room

We were on the top floor (third) towards the north end of the building and overlooking the outdoor pool. The room had a king bed (very comfortable), 37in flat screen, desk, easy chair, microwave and refrigerator and a hot tub. The hot tub was a hit with my wife and we used it every night while watching television. Even with the hot tub the room was very efficiently laid out. The cleanliness of the room was outstanding (see more on that below).

Amenities

This hotel has both an indoor and outdoor pool. The outdoor pool has a small waterslide and umbrella like structure that rains down water. Several chaise lounges and chairs make this a great spot to soak up some sun. We both gave the outdoor pool a thumbs up. We did not swim in the indoor pool but did use the adjoining hot tub. Overall both areas were very clean and plenty of towels. I would caution that the outdoor pool can get busy and noisy. There is also a small exercise room which we did not use.

Dining

A free breakfast is offered in the morning. A great selection of items were offered including scrambled eggs, sausage, waffles, hard boiled eggs, toast, yogurt, biscuits and gravy, cereal, muffins, oatmeal and fresh fruits. The quality was good, it was continuously restocked and there was plenty of seating including an area outside.

Two more things

As I noted above our room was very clean. In fact the entire hotel was keep very clean. One reason for this had to be the number of staff. I have never seen more housekeeping staff at another hotel (and we've traveled all over the country). There were two people assigned to clean our room. I swear there were at least 10 people per floor just to clean rooms.

If you have not been to Gatlinburg be advised that traffic downtown towards the park along the main road can be very heavy. There aren't many backroads to get you around. There is a bypass road to the national park that can be accessed about a mile or so from the hotel. You bypass the entire town and the drive is very pretty.

Room Tip: If you can afford it having hot tub in the room is romantic.
5 Thank Unknown_Traveler
Cleveland, Tennessee
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Last year I positively reviewed the Fairfield Inn and Suites in Gatlinburg, TN. Based on that trip our family decided to return for a few nights this summer. We were not let down from our previous experience.

The property is aesthetically pleasing on the outside and inside, especially compared to other Fairfield properties in the area. The staff was surprisingly young. I assumed some of them were college students on break. They were very attentive and engaging to both my family and I. I asked for upgrade based on my Gold Elite status with Marriott and they were willing to give me one, but since it was only for 1 king bed room we stayed with our two queen room.

The room was clean and spacious enough for the kids to play while we were in the room. The walls and doors are thick enough to suppress any noise from the hallways and other rooms.

The pool is one of the big draws for us. It is a small pool, but has a beach style slope and features a water umbrella and curly slide. The kids loved the time we spent out there. This year there was an attendant outside getting towels and watching for any rough housing. This is a family friendly property and most everyone who stays here has kids in tow.

The breakfast was good, especially compared to other Fairfield's. It included eggs, biscuits & gravy, waffle maker, and fruit. The lobby was packed with people eating in the mornings, but the staff kept the buffet full and everyone seemed happy.

We ventured into the Great Smoky Mountain National Park on one of our days there and hit up Dollywood on the other. This property is perfectly situated for people who want to go to the park and still shop and eat in Gatlinburg or Pigeon Forge.

The only negative was the AC unit in the room. I didn't think it was pumping enough cold air out even at max settings. I made the front desk aware and they assured me that they would fix it, but the next night we experienced the same problem. Once again, I let them know. They apologized. For me this was a minor problem.

The hotel also provides, without overtly advertising, a free admission to the Ripley's attractions across town (not the aquarium). We used ours for the mini-golf that is adjacent to the hotel.

We will most likely be back again.

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony room overlooking the outdoor pool unless you need to go to bed before 10:00 pm. Th...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family