“Rude, rigid owners”

GreenLeadersGold level
Memphis, Tennessee
“Rude, rigid owners”
Reviewed 12 January 2012

My first "live" interaction with the owners was over the phone, and it set the (bad) mood for my one-night stay. Shirley called at 4 pm to ask when we would be arriving, because they had an event at 5:30 pm. I thought that was completely unprofessional; I'm sorry but your social life is really none of my concern, and if I paid almost $300 for a night at your house, then you better be there when I arrive and not put pressure on us while we're driving up the mountain.
Anyway, besides that, I found them to be rigid and obnoxious people. Shirley barely said a word to my family and I other than to explain how precious the bed my parents would be sleeping in was and to be careful with it. I thought that was inappropriate, and that if the bed was so darn precious then put it in your own bedroom! Can you imagine being at the Marriott and being told to be very careful with their bed?
Also, as someone else mentioned, the praying in the morning was completely uncalled for. We are not Christians and we are not Americans. My parents felt very disrespected, and they even sensed the owners (the lady, in particular) might not be very fond of foreigners, but I honestly can't speak to that.
Now, to be fair, the breakfast was superb. What Shirley lacks in social grace, she certainly makes up for in her cooking. However, it was hard for me to enjoy the 3-course breakfast with Bob sitting there watching my every move. I felt like I was back in high school, having dinner at a friend's house over the watch of their disapproving parents. And what's with the 9 am breakfast rule?
This place has beautiful views and great food. However, the hosts make you feel like they are doing a great favor of having you in their house, and expect you to adjust to their schedule and preferences, not the other way around (as most successful businesses would). if you enjoy your privacy and are expecting warm, non-intrusive hospitality, be prepared for a rude awakening; staying at the Foxtrot feels more like an awkward sleepover at distant relative's then a relaxing vacation. Also, I would definitely stay away from this place if you are not a Christian and/or Republican.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
12 Thank mila603

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Reviewed 8 January 2012

My wife and I really enjoyed our stay at the Foxtrot B&B, from the spectacular views, to the privacy provided by the room arrangements, to the wonderful couple who own and operate the place. Bob obviously loves to tell the visitors about their history, as well as the area history, and he reminded us of Garrison Keillor in his delivery.
Only negative I can think of is that the last 2-3 miles to get to the Foxtrot can be quite challenging. Once you get there, it will be worth it!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Boynton Beach, Florida
Reviewed 2 January 2012

Thanks to both of you, Bob and Shirley, for making our time with you so memorable. Your hard work and diligence to the details did not go unappreciated. All of your touches added to a very beautiful experience. The rooms were exquisite and offered my wife and I the opportunity to relax, soak in the ambiance, and truly feel renewed.

Room Tip: The Chimney View Room had a separate "Living Room" with the attached balcony which offered...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Gerry I
Falkirk
Reviewed 29 December 2011

My wife & I had one of the most enjoyable stays while vacationing in the US. Shirley & Bob are fantastic hosts and the food was some of the best ever experienced. Breakfast is awesome and we didn't feel the need to eat again until 7pm. We still talk about the delicious home baking which is laid out each evening for guests to help themselves, a true home from home and an overall great experience. We would love to return some day. The views of the mounytains are fantastic and the room we stayed in was very comfortable.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
North carolina United States
Reviewed 9 October 2011

For our fifth anniversary, my wife and I chose to stay at the Foxtrot while visiting the area. It is ideally located in a secluded spot with a phenomenal view of the mountains. The owners are both knowledgeable and very personable, and the room was extremely cozy and quiet. All sorts of personal amenities (coffee, tea, fresh baked goods) are available, and Shirley is a first rate chef that presents one of the best breakfasts we have ever had. Worth every penny and would definitely return!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Mount Juliet, Tennessee, USA
Reviewed 21 June 2011

Thanks Bob and Shirley for wonderful time. You can't beat the breakfest Shirley cooks up for you. The Bed is extra comfy and I ask to have strawberries covered in chocolate they were great and ready when we got there.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Greenville, South Carolina
Reviewed 12 June 2011

My husband and I stayed two nights at The Foxtrot Bed and Breakfast while visiting Gatlinburg. The home is nestled at the end of a quiet street so there's no traffic noise or "street" noise like you would find on the Gatlinburg "strip" and the view from the back porch...breath taking. We stayed in Roaring Forks room and retired each evening on one of the most comfortable beds I've ever slept in. The innkeepers told us the mattress was custom made. I'm not sure if that's the case for every room in the home, but we slept very comfy in our king-sized bed. The three course breakfast was amazing, and you were served on beautiful china around a large table so that you could easily chat with other guests. There were plenty of books in their library to read and a constant supply of fresh coffee and tea...and the coconut pound cake was my favorite indulgence each evening. We'll be back for another visit...maybe in September to enjoy the cool weather and see the beautiful fall leaves

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family