“Perfect Anniversary Getaway!”

GreenLeadersGold level
Piedmont, South Carolina, United States
“Perfect Anniversary Getaway!”
Reviewed 10 February 2014

My husband and I recently stayed 2 nights in the Leconte Sunrise room at The Foxtrot for our anniversary, and we were very pleased with our overall experience. Bob and Shirley are so knowledgeable about the area, and offered us lots of useful info. They are also very hospitable, and it is obvious that the comfort of their guests is important to them as innkeepers. Shirley is a fantastic cook, and everything she prepares - from the homemade baked goods she sets out each afternoon, to the gourmet 3-course breakfast each morning - is amazing. The Foxtrot definitely made our anniversary special!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Reviewed 27 January 2014

Our stay here Was very nice The view Was so Beautiful. We stayed in The leconte sunrise room n it was very clean and welcoming. The only con we had about the room is for the price we paid it should of had a update TV like a 47' flat screen also I wish that the fireplace was a functional gas fireplace and positioned in a different area of the room where it could b enjoyed.. The gourmet breakfast each morning was so delicious always something different I truly enjoyed it. There was always desert at night to enjoy when we want to also tea and coffee.. Shirley and Bob were the perfect host..

• Stayed January 2014
Cary,North Carolina
Reviewed 14 December 2013 via mobile

I wish I had dug deeper into the reviews. If I had I would have found similar issues and concerns that we had during our stay. We met friends for here for two nights. The location is up a windy, foggy road. We knew this before booking and didn't expect it to be as bad as it was. I think it was the weather pattern that made it more challenging than normal. The view I'm sure is spectacular but it was only visible the first 30 minutes of our stay.
The Inn was very clean but the rooms are very dated. Everything is in early 1980's decor. I had expected it to be charming. Instead the guest rooms and baths need to be remodeled. If the guest rooms had wood floors and some crown molding instead of berber carpet and sprayed ceilings it would add some character. The large living room was definitely an improvement over the guest rooms. It had a nice fireplace plus plenty of bookshelves lined perfectly with books categorized by author and then the author's books were placed in alphabetical order.

The reason I have given it a poor rating from is because the entire time we were there we felt that the owners were lurking and extremely controlling. As soon as we walked in Bob wanted to settle up payment. This was followed by the mandatory 15 minute lecture on the rules, regulations and the correct way to make a cup of coffee. Once we were shown our room we were not allowed to do anything until we stepped out so that Bob and Shirley could do the turn down service. Really! It was 3pm! When we were allowed back into the room all of decorator pillows were now placed in our closet with perfect military order. Later in the evening when our friends arrived I helped with their luggage. I was not allowed to put their luggage in their room until they had paid, had the tour plus the turn down service. It all seemed a bit creepy and made you wonder if their were hidden cameras in our rooms. Breakfast was served on Saturday morning at exactly 9:00am. It started with prayer followed by both Bob and Shirley joining us at the table once the food was served. Bob tried to control the discussion and never asked anything about the guests. It was all about Shirley's and his accomplishments etc. The same happened on Sunday morning except breakfast was at exactly 8am. We were paying guests and their behavior felt very intrusive. One morning my husband and friend had an early cup of coffee that was in a mug. The mugs were grabbed out of their hands and replaced by a tea cup when we sat down for breakfast. I'm sure this happened because the mugs didn't match the place settings. I got the feeling if I spilt something I would be sent to my room.

Shirley is an accomplished chef. The first morning my egg dish was undercooked but I think it had to do with the age of the oven and where my dish was placed while baking. My husbands egg dish was fine. On Sunday morning individually each course was very good. Overall, the combination was too sweet. The starter was strawberry soup, followed by a French toast dish with berries and sugar glazed nuts. The last dish was creme brûlée. It needed to be more balanced.

This is just not a place I would ever feel comfortable to recommend.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
12 Thank Lenda
Morganton, North Carolina
Reviewed 6 November 2013

My husband and I stayed at Fox Trot Veterans Day November 2012. Everything was perfect. Our room was great, cozy and very clean. The breakfast was wonderful. The mountain views were awesome. The innkeepers were very kind as well. We loved our stay at Fox Trot Bed and Breakfast.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Memphis, Tennessee, United States
Reviewed 21 October 2013

THE PERFECT COUPLES GETAWAY! Traditional, lots of history, very cozy, exquisite food by Shirley, and WONDERFUL location location location! Just far enough from town to be remote, and still convenient at the same time. We will definitely go back and stay again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 September 2013

My Husband and I stayed at the Fox Trot for our 15th wedding Anniversay for one evening. It was our first time ever staying at a bed and breakfast. The atmospher at the Fox Trot is very welcoming and relaxing. Shirley's breakfast is a surburb culinary treat that will melt in your mouth!! Both Bob and Shirley are very knowledgable about all the history and, activity's that the surrounding area's have to offer. Bob and Shirley were wonderful hosts, and we look forward to be back to stay with them again!!

• Stayed September 2013
Fayetteville, Georgia
Reviewed 18 September 2013

The Foxtrot B & B was a well needed and wonderful experience for my boyfriend and me as well as one of my girlfriend's and her husband. Shirley is a gourmet cook who prepared breakfasts that were unbelievable! We needed to walk every day so we could keep enjoying these sumptuous meals. Bob and Shirley's knowledge of the area enabled us to enjoy the sites, sounds and tastes of this beautiful setting! We will be back!!

Room Tip: Any room or any suite offers wonderful accommodations!