“Favorite Gatlinburg hotel”
Review of Riverhouse Motels

We can't find prices for this hotel
Riverhouse Motels
Ranked #13 of 78 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Reviewed 24 July 2010

This is the third or fourth time staying at this hotel over the past ten years and we love it just as much. The interior is rustic but very well-kept and cleaned. Best thing is the huge rooms with fireplace and balcony overlooking the river (every room). Bathrooms are also larger than average and newly remodeled with lovely fixtures and a pedestal sink. The shower is powerful and even with the place booked, we had hot water through 4 family members (including 2 teens)! The vanity and sink outside the bathroom is about 5 foot long, plus sink, microwave, and plenty of closet space in that seperated room. Each morning, call the front desk and fresh, homemade doughnuts, toast and drinks of your preference are delivered in short order. No rushing to get ready then finding a table in a crowded breakfast room. Since we stayed 4 days, we made use of the laundry facilities, reasonable priced plus detergent is available from the office. Location is also great; short walk to the parkway, yet removed from the bustle and noise, plus just a few miles from the entrance to the National Park. Best thing short of staying in a cabin to enjoy the pleasures of Tennessee. For pictures, see the TA listing of Riverhouse on the park, some of this hotels pics are on that page. Also, wireless is on a secure network, unlike other hotels we've stayed at. If you stay, check out the in room notebook which gives a full explanation of room amenities, restaurant recommendations and info on fishing the trout in the stream behind hotel. Just an example of how the office staff, and housekeepers are really sweet and accomodating.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank Honest_now

Reviewed 17 July 2010

We had always wanted to stay at this hotel but never got a chance until this weekend. We stayed here and it was wonderful. the place is like a real mountain lodge. wood paneling and beams on the ceilings. the rooms are huge and this place is soooo clean and I do check EVERYTHING when I stay at a hotel I am very hard to please and this place took even my test. Yes it is decorated like a mountain lodge it's not for those who want a five star plus kind of place. but hey you are in the mountains not a big city. The balconies on the river are a great place to sit out and relax after a long day of dollywood and shopping. The beds are VERY comfortable and the bathrooms updated but i hope they leave the rustic theme in the rest of the room. We loved the rock fireplace. got a great nights sleep. We plan on staying here again in the near future. I would recommend this place to anyone who loves the mountains and wants to get away and relax.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank hagerhill
Reviewed 30 June 2010

We love to stay here. The location is great, rooms are spacious, staff very courteous, donuts are scrumptious! Would recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 April 2010

We stayed from April 2, 2010 - April 5, 2010 and we were very happy with our room. The room was very spacious and there is a lot of room in the kitchen area. We had a wood burning fireplace which we used one night. Actually it got too hot and we had to turn on the air conditioning. We were on the first floor and all the balconies are over the river. It was so relaxing sitting on the deck and listening to the sounds of the river and watching all the ducks and the kids playing in the water. Everyone that we met that worked there was very nice and courteous. The bathroom had been remodeled and it was so beautiful and soothing colors. We had stayed before at the Riverhouse at the Park which was the same size but I really like the location on this one the best. We had no complaints and looking forward to going there again. I would recommend this to all my friends.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 March 2010

Could use some updating, but the fireplace and balcony overlooking the stream was great! Large rooms, bathroom was good sized and renovated. Very clean. Beds were very comfortable, no lumpy pillows here! We left the balcony door open to hear the stream at night while the fireplace was crackling....relaxing! Morning room service brought to your door, but could have a bit more on the menu. We fed the squirrels and birds on our balcony each morning, then went down to the stream and fed ducks. I've been going to Gatlinburg for 30 years....our first time at Riverhouse..wish I had known about it long ago!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 February 2010

We have just left the Riverhouse motorlodge and it was a great experience. We were actually staying in a popular hotel in downtown Gatlinburg and we were unhappy with it. For 30 years, As a family we have been traveling to this area and have just about stayed in every hotel or motel in the area. We were impressed with how quiet this place was. It seemed like we were staying in a bed and breakfast. Our boys were happy just hanging out by the creek and watching the ducks. It was nice waking up and hearing the creek that is just outside the balcony of our room. We were so impressed with the free breakfast delivered to our room and the huge fireplace.(with a flip of a switch, we had fire) This experience was a memory forever. Where everything is fast, busy and expensive, this place was an incredible relief. The rooms are undergoing some updateing. The bathrooms were wonderful and spacious. The beds were comfortable and clean. (bring your own pillow) We were close to all the attractions and enjoyed the quiet walk on the sidewalk that takes you straight to the Aquarium and restaurants. You will not regret your stay here!

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank cairparavel4ever
Reviewed 30 January 2010

By far my favorite hotel experience. As you will read in others accounts the rooms are large and dark despite the ample lighting because of the dark panneling. The decore is a bit dated but everything is clean and the large fireplace and hearth make up for any shortcoming. The bathroom where extra wood is stored beneath the spacious counter is large as well.

The balcony overlooking the Pigeon river is close enough to feed the ducks and trout. Squirrels fight with redbirds over crumbs left on the railing. It is very relaxing to sit and listen to the river gurgle and it is within walking distance to everything yet off the main road and choking traffic. It is perfect except for the ghost.

After a day of sightseeing we lit a fire and had a glass of wine on the balcony despite the chill. It truely is a most beautiful setting. We chose one of the queen beds and it was most comfortable with ample pillows and continued to enjoy ouselves til drowsy enough for sleep.

At around one AM I was awakened by what I thought was my wife coming back to bed. I felt the bed sink behind me. The cold of her flesh pressed against my back where she spooned and I was annoyed she would come to bed cold from the balcony and freeze me like that. At least until I realized I was spooned with her warm against my front. I woke fully then. Nothing was behind me. It was the last thing I expected and nothing like it had happened to me before in a dream but I figured it must be despite the vividness and full sensory impact. I returned to sleep after a spell.

Around two I awoke freezing with no covers in sight. I was puzzled that even with the light on I could not find them. They were piled at the foot of the bed. All of them tucked out of sight. I had to shiveringly remake the bed. It happened again around three so I tucked them tight enough to bounce a feather off of, restoked the fire, and finally slept the night. My wife slept through it all.

This was the only ghost experience I've ever had. I look forward to getting the same room so I'm not telling you which one it was.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple