“Pleasantly Surprised”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Riverhouse at the Park
Ranked #24 of 78 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Acworth, Georgia
“Pleasantly Surprised”
Reviewed 31 October 2011

I'm a VERY picky person when it comes to hotels/motels, but this had so many good reviews I wanted to take the chance and I'm SO glad we did! I can't wait to stay there again.

Yes, it looks like you walked into your gentle grandma's upstairs.
Yes, the chairs could use recovering and the bed could use a new bedspread.
Yes, the tile is and old fashioned pale yellow color.
Yes, the service is incredible and sweet.
Yes, there's some wood paneling.
Yes, old furnishings can last forever when they're taken care of.

BUT....
This was the CLEANEST, most inviting, spacious hotel we could have picked. The service was fantastic (and yes, I'll say it too - the donuts are to die for), every square inch was cleaned to the nines and the room was huge!

The fireplace was massive, so we laid the extra blanket on the hearth and cozied up next to the fire after a freezing night of seeing the sights. The whirlpool jetted tub was incredible and the jets had enough pressure to them to really relax your muscles. The bed was really comfortable, but the pillows were a little flat for me. I was happy I'd brought my own. We booked the room late, so we had a street-side suite, but there was no noticable road noise and the view was still great (especially with all the brightly colored leaves).

The location was fantastic. It's just 1.5 blocks to the main street and very close to our favorite sports bar in town. After we checked out on Sunday, they were gracious enough to let us keep our car parked there for the afternoon while we did some last minute touristy things before heading out in the early evening. I love the late checkout at 12 that gives you a chance to stay snuggled in the cozy room late into the morning.

Room Tip: Rooms on levels 3-4 are good on the street side if you want a nice Gatlinburg view.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank PurdueMel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
dialanurse
Reviewed 31 October 2011

I had to leave the roach motel I was in & looked here for another hotel. This was the first one I came to & glad I did. Rated #6 on top 10 list. Yes, the rooms are dated but HUGE for the price. We're in the mountains people so rustic is suitable. I use a mobility scooter & I could ride it with ease inside the room. The doughnuts are superb and brought to your room w/coffee every morning. You can drink your coffee while enjoying the view from the balcony. The only downside is there is no free Wi-Fi. You're on Vacation so I didn't really miss it. My smartphone worked just fine. The heat for the bathrooms is the only other thing that needs updating. I WILL stay here again.

• Stayed October 2011
1 Thank dialanurse
Florida
Reviewed 20 October 2011

We chose to stay at the Riverhouse because of the location, it looked great from a distance and trip advisors rating. The check in was great. They use typewriters instead of a computer. The rooms were spacious and clean. The rooms could use a little updating but they were great. The view off the back balcony was awesome. You call them in the morning and they deliver to your room what you'd like for breakfast. Awesome place!

• Stayed October 2011
2 Thank Lisalyn195
Statesville, N.C.
Reviewed 11 August 2011

The Riverhouse at the Park is about avregae for the Gatlinburg area. It is an older motel near the far end of Gatlinburg strip. The rooms are very dated with dark paneling. The beds are relatively comfortable, but the pillows are flat. The staff does their best to keep this place clean. As I said it is a relatively older motel. We had a room that overlooks the "river". The balcony was private from adjoining rooms. You could easily watch everthing your neighbors at the condos across the "river" were doing on their balconies; and in their rooms.

The location was good. It is not very crowded in the area and the town of Gatlinburg was meant to be walked anyway. There are a number of good shops and great restaurants in the vicinity. Overall, for the money and convenience, the Riverhouse at the Park was ok. There just are not many choices of "newer" hotels in the area.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank beachkidd
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 9 August 2011

After reading mixed reviews on just about every hotel in Gatlinburg, I was at a loss to which hotel to stay. Then I caught wind of the Riverhouse at the Park - It was PERFECT.

Here are the pro's
Price - < $100 per night!
Location - Easy walking distance to EVERYTHING in Gatlinburg
LARGE Rooms - Plenty of room for 2 adults - 1 toddler - and a Pack-N-Play for our infant
Easy Parking
Breakfast was included!
Clean Rooms
Quiet - a few blocks away from the "noise" and very little traffic noise.

The Con's
The coffee was just OK
The interior could be updated a bit

Room Tip: The pool is located on the 2nd level
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Belton, South Carolina
Reviewed 21 July 2011

My husband and I needed a quick get away to the mountains. We chose this place because of its location. It is close to everything! We stayed on the street side because there were no river side rooms available. The rooms were very spacious. The bed was comfortable. I love having a balcony, and we were able to "people watch," read, have a nice glass of wine, etc. while relaxing on the balcony outside our room. The breakfast brought to the room was nice. All the people that work here are so nice and prompt in replying to your needs. The paneling and decor is certainly not from this century, but it felt like I was at Grandma's -- so I was right at home. Plus, I figure if they update this place it'll lose some of it's appeal. Had a great time! Will be back. :)

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank valleygolf55
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed 16 July 2011

This motel is on the river and just steps away from a beautiful trail which meanders along the river into the park and eventually ends up at the Sugarland Center (Visitor Center). The trail also connects with other trails in the park.
We always stay in a room with a balcony on river. After we enjoy champagne on our balcony, we walk to one the many restaurants in Gatlinburg. Then, in the morning, we order the doughnuts, juice, and coffee that are delivered to out room. We also enjoy the fireplace during the cold months.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the river!
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple