“"Creek views, homemade donuts delivered to room, large rooms, EXCELLENT!"”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Riverhouse at the Park
Ranked #24 of 77 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Reviewed 16 March 2012

My family* (husband and two kids--age 2, and 5) stayed here in June 2011. I've visited The Smoky Mountains over thirty times in my life.

My family and I come at least once or twice a year, and have we have stayed at all sorts of places--i.e. hotel/motel rooms, campsites, timeshares, gorgeous mountain chalets with all the amenities, etc. We enjoy trying new places. It's part of the fun of vacation for us.

We were very pleased with our stay at The Riverhouse at the Park. It's located on the end of the Gatlinburg closest to the park (off of Light 10 on the Parkway), so it might be a bit of a hike if you want to be in the middle of things* (just a note in you have seniors or very small kids), but it's very nice if you don't want to hear all the traffic, or deal with the conjestion of the middle of Gatlinburg.

All in all, we were tickled by the nice perks they had to offer--i.e. fresh, HOMEMADE* (yummy) donuts and drinks--milk, juice & coffee-- delivered to your door every morning upon request (they even made special donuts for my husband who is diabetic). The breakfast is delivered to your door about 10 minutes after you request it--until 9:30am.

Also, the helpfulness of the staff was excellent* (we left a cellphone there, and they had it shipped to us--thanks).

If you're looking for a place a little closer to town but less secluded, try their sister hotel, The Riverhouse Motor Lodge. It's more centrally located. It still has creekview rooms, and the great donut breakfast delivered to your room.

The pool was smallish, but adequate (good for young kids), and there was a nice hot tub.

What I really liked was the atmosphere they provided--they REALLY wanted to make you feel like you were having a great vacation, and they went out of their way to make that happen.

I highly recommend their creekside rooms--it's worth a few extra dollars. The private decks are VERY LARGE, and the sound of the creek was incredible. It was so nice to stay there and just chill out on the deck while eating breakfast. The decks are big enough to hold several people comfortably. Also, it's right next to the damn, so there's always water flowing.

Also, the rooms are quite large, including a separate area for dressing, and a whirpool tub* (very nice--good water pressure and plenty of hot water), as well as nice sitting area with a table and chairs. There's also a fireplace, which would be nice in the winter.

Just so you know, the room is very much in the Gatlinburg tradition. That means the walls are panelled in wood* (but quality, not cheap), and there are older pictures on the walls with lights below them. I love this--it has a feeling of the 1960s, but with the modern ammenities you'd expect. There are many light settings for the rooms.

We loved staying there. The staff was friendly and helpful. A great experience all around. You won't regret it!

Room Tip: Get a room that is creekside.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
9  Thank Emily W

Reviewed 10 February 2012

We come hiking in the Smoky Mountain National Park about 10 to 15 times per year during the off season. Gatlinburg is too crowded and hectic in the Summer for our taste. We always stay at the Riverhouse at the Park. It is the closest Hotel to the Park and although away from the hustle and bustle of the center of town, within easy walking distance. It is also the best value with a number of rooms available at less than $50 per night during the week in the long off season. These rooms are very spacious and have gas fireplaces, refrigerators and microwaves. The rooms we have stayed in at this price have had a comfortable love seat, armchair and table and chairs. Beds are comfortable. The rooms are very clean and the staff very friendly. Complimentary breakfast of coffee, toast, jelly, donuts and juice has always been delivered to our room a few minutes after phoning for it.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank veryoldtimer
Reviewed 5 January 2012

If you have never been to Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge during a busy season, sometime find a reason to go. It is a lessen in traffic patience to rival LA rush hour. When we finally got the the Riverhouse, we were greeted with a friendly face and a perfect spot just off the main strip. It is located only about 100 yards from the beginning of the main drag and over one block but is miles away from hectic.
On to naptime. The rooms are completely oversized. I will assume most of them are the same layout with a large vanity area with shelves, a small fridge and a microwave. The full bath is off this area. Be careful, the water pressure on high will but you through the wall. The beds are in the next room with a corner gas fireplace, and a small table and chairs, and a decent TV above the fireplace. There was also a reading chair and a loveseat (that our youngest daughter decided was her bed). Our room had a wide balcony looking over the river, which had it not been 24F degrees at night, would have been great to sit out and try a few different wines, even with 4-5 people out there. The beds were very comfortable but only had 2 pillow each. I know, small discomfort but I whine a lot. Overall the decor was very 70's but very clean and in really good shape. It was like we had stepped back 30 years ago and it was recently purchased.
The hotel amenities we were able to take advantage of were the hot tub and the breakfast delivery. The pool is next to the hot tub but I am guessing it would not have been refreshing in December. For breakfast in the morning, it was coffee, juice and donuts, delivered to your door, seemingly 2 minutes after you call the kitchen to ask for them. Donuts were great and fresh, and if the OJ was not fresh squeezed, as close to it as possible.
Checkout was a breeze and again friendly. We had to turn our keys back in, and these were actual metal keys, didn't know they existed anymore.
Some tips, rooms 201-205 are the closest to the pool and hot tub. Great for getting out of the tub and back to your room when it is 28F. Maybe not so great if you don't want to be near the pool. The hotel is at the corner of Ski Mt rd and River Rd. Ski Mt goes up to Ober Gatlinburg if you want to head up that way. River Rd runs parallel to the Parkway (main st) and generally has a bit less traffic. There is a general store diagonally across the street for some goods and has a deli/grill as well as a liquor store. There is a winery store next to it but skip that as they are way too pretentious and although I still bought a bottle to try, it was not good.
Overall, we had an excellent stay and will back again in the summer to enjoy the outdoors a bit more, and have some decent wine on that balcony.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
9  Thank SJBurk
Reviewed 30 December 2011

This is a wonderfully placed small hotel. The location can't be beat. We love to drive into the mountains for the day and its great not having to drive through lots of traffic to get to the park. The rooms are very large with a nice gas fireplace. There are nice balconies overlooking the water with plenty of room to sit and relax after a long day of hiking or shopping. Very friendly staff and good value for the money. I have stayed here many times and have told family and friends about it. I will be back again soon.

• Stayed: November 2011
3  Thank pattiecake53
Reviewed 8 November 2011

After reading a few reviews, I booked this place for a four-day work trip. Having stayed at many chain hotels, I've come to love quirky independent hotels. Riverhouse fit the bill.

Yes, the decor is dated, but the place is so amazingly clean. Seriously clean. The room was big, as well as the balcony. Nice fireplace and large relaxing bath tub. You can tell that the owners take pride in keeping the place clean and well maintained.

The donuts were delicious and delivery literally took minutes. I had to laugh because I think their coffee cups were the same as I have seen in hospitals.

The only minor issue was the free WiFi. With the room's steel doors, it's hard to get a strong signal.

Overall, I would return here in a minute.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
6  Thank Allie620
Reviewed 2 November 2011

OK, so the decor is a little dated but that's easy to overlook. This room was comfortable, clean and we were lulled into dreamland by the sound of the running river just off our balcony. The balcony with a top notch view of the fall colors was a pleasant place for a glass of wine and we felt like we were miles away from the world even though we were only a block from bustling Gatlinburg. Room options include fireplaces but ours was simple, and just what we needed. Price includes a limited continental breakfast (donuts made on-site daily, toast and coffee) delivered to your room. It's close to the park, inexpensive and walking distance to restaurants. I'd stay here again and recommend it to friends and family.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
4  Thank mskmcd
Reviewed 31 October 2011

I'm a VERY picky person when it comes to hotels/motels, but this had so many good reviews I wanted to take the chance and I'm SO glad we did! I can't wait to stay there again.

Yes, it looks like you walked into your gentle grandma's upstairs.
Yes, the chairs could use recovering and the bed could use a new bedspread.
Yes, the tile is and old fashioned pale yellow color.
Yes, the service is incredible and sweet.
Yes, there's some wood paneling.
Yes, old furnishings can last forever when they're taken care of.

BUT....
This was the CLEANEST, most inviting, spacious hotel we could have picked. The service was fantastic (and yes, I'll say it too - the donuts are to die for), every square inch was cleaned to the nines and the room was huge!

The fireplace was massive, so we laid the extra blanket on the hearth and cozied up next to the fire after a freezing night of seeing the sights. The whirlpool jetted tub was incredible and the jets had enough pressure to them to really relax your muscles. The bed was really comfortable, but the pillows were a little flat for me. I was happy I'd brought my own. We booked the room late, so we had a street-side suite, but there was no noticable road noise and the view was still great (especially with all the brightly colored leaves).

The location was fantastic. It's just 1.5 blocks to the main street and very close to our favorite sports bar in town. After we checked out on Sunday, they were gracious enough to let us keep our car parked there for the afternoon while we did some last minute touristy things before heading out in the early evening. I love the late checkout at 12 that gives you a chance to stay snuggled in the cozy room late into the morning.

Room Tip: Rooms on levels 3-4 are good on the street side if you want a nice Gatlinburg view.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple