“Weekend get away”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Mountain Heritage Inn
Ranked #38 of 78 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Lover this place my buddy turned me on to them a few years ago now every time I'm in Gatlinburg it is where I stay clean rooms great rates and American owned close to all the cool attractions if your in Gatlinburg I highly recommend the stay

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Eric Homebrew S

Reviewed 28 May 2014

I've stayed at this hotel many times, since I was 8 years old, nearly every time I've been to Gatlinburg. That's nearly 20 years, so we're "frequent flyers." We usually stay in the small 2-floor building. This hotel is in Gatlinburg, downtown, but is a bit of a walk to Parkway (the strip). It cannot be booked online - you must call them to book it. They've got a quieter location than parkway, but it is a long walk.

I've never had any real problems with this hotel in the past. Last year though, I noted that one of the managers were a little less than nice. Nothing specific, just that the way she spoke indicated that she was in a hurry to end the conversation. At the time, I assumed she was busy, so I let it go and moved along. Now, after this past weekend, and after reading the reviews, I'm not so sure.

We stayed from 5/24-5/26. I tried to book a king-jacuzzi, but there was a 3 night minimum. This is a 3 night minimum that has never been an issue before, even on bigger holidays. The manager claimed that it has always been a 3 night minimum on Memorial Day, and I remember no such thing. My fiance works for the USPS, and they are not letting her have time off, so that won't work. Nonetheless, the manager made an "exception" and set us up. I understood from the phone call, that I would be in that smaller building, but my brother wouldn't have a creek-side balcony. This wasn't the case. We were in the larger 3-floor building.

I had a discussion with the guy, making sure that he knew that there was quite an ugly stain on our room's couch, and that there were burns on top of my brother's room's TV set (melty sides as well) in his non-smoking room... I told him that we've been a family that has stayed with them on our trips for nearly 20 years, and voiced my concern on the new policy (which was claimed to be old policy). The guy said in plain words, that [managers name] is a dingaling and needs to come off of that crap.

Basically, we were just stuck somewhere, and by the time we got there, there was no way to fix it. It was by an arbitrary policy decision, that we were denied the ability to stay in the building that we've always stayed in - despite the fact that we were getting two rooms (brother had his own). Not cool.

The website for the hotel sports a "FREE WIRELESS INTERNET" headline. The internet is a joke. It's an AT&T consumer grade system it seems, because in neither of the two rooms, was it usable. Signal strength was just too low. A better job could have been done on their site-survey, to determine where routing/repeater points could be placed.

Beware, the rooms from building to building are also different. The small building that we usually stay in has hair dryers. Not the larger building. The rooms with refrigerators could use microwaves - some rooms in the smaller building had microwaves, not all. Not sure if that has changed since we didn't stay where I thought we would be... The king bad in my brother's room was nicer, a bit higher off the ground, but the pillows on the bed were bad. He had to use the pillows off of the couch. My room's bed was so short, squeaky, and you could feel the mattress spring pressure in your back. Hard as a rock. Anyone wonder why couples don't stay in their rooms there? That's probably why. :P

The bathroom areas are quite small in the larger 3-floor building. The toilets look like kiddie pottys. Neither room had hotel-provided shampoo, but both had soap (not too great either). In our stays in the smaller building, shampoo was provided. In the room where we stayed, the only bed-side outlets were behind the mattress. The outlets were quite loose, and if you were to roll over (and sleep on your arm like I do), it's possible to bump your hand on those outlets. Could be a safety issue, since the mattress seems to butt up against anything plugged in the outlets. The TV sets were also from the 90's.

Now, about the walk to Parkway.... You have to walk between the back alley of another hotel, and a parking deck to get there. It is not well lit, and easy to trip/fall/be injured. The path is on the hotel's map, and even on the website. Because it is not well-lit, bring a flashlight. I also bring a knife and be on guard, because of the potential personal safety issues that could crop up. When you emerge on to Parkway, people walking the street look at you, like "What are YOU doing back there?"

What's worse is, my fiance by her very nature, is very non-confrontational. She likes to view things with rose colored glasses, saying "it's fine" to the point of letting people run over her. When even she says that it could have been better, then you know there's a problem.

All in all, it has been a good 20 year run. This hotel needs a revamp in how its staff handles situations, policies, as well as the physical rooms. The staff (even a person on the cleaning staff) has been there just as long as I have been staying there, so my guess is, that won't be happening..... I don't expect them to walk on egg shells, however there is a certain level of consistency, kindness, professionalism, and cleanliness that I would expect with any hotel.

If the outright problems weren't there, then I would have said that it's a charming hotel, great value, quiet, and competitive.... To be clear, this isn't a roach motel, and I don't stay at roach motels - however, it's heading in that direction if things are not changed.

I will NOT be back unless something extraordinary is done to fix the problems I had, and make it up to me. Probably not happening though. There comes a point where you can tell that someone, somewhere, isn't trying.

Room Tip: Rooms in the smaller building are better... if you can get them.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank RastafarianGeek
Reviewed 25 April 2014

Stayed Easter weekend at the Mountain Heritage Inn on River Road in Gatlinburg, and I have to say if you are looking for a value this is the place. Dated but very clean and definitely close to anything you need to see in Gatlinburg. At 49 a night it is a bargain for the area. Would recommend to anyone looking for base accomodations at a great price.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank ProudBuckeye
Reviewed 29 March 2014

We had never stayed here before but in Dec. we were on our way to stay at our favorite hotel in Pigeon Forge only to find out it was booked up, so after many attempts to find a hotel we finally found this one. Well the price was great and when we got there we found the room to be very clean but it is a little outdated but that was not a problem at all, the people there was so nice and friendly that we are going back next weekend. It is so close to everything that we just left the car parked and walked all over Gatlinburg. I think I have found a gem in Gatlinburg that doesn't break my bank account. I have recommended it to many of my friends so now I hope it won't be booked up when I plan a trip LOL.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank hagerhill
Reviewed 27 March 2014

We have been staying at the mountain Heritage Inn for about 30 years, they treat us like family and do everything possible to make our stay enjoyable..They go beyond what a motel usually does to keep you happy..I think this motel being family owned makes it so nice to stay in...William and Patsy Jameson of ky

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Bill J
Reviewed 4 January 2014

We've stayed here many times on our winter vacations in Gatlinburg. This was our first time to stay in the Rondette/cabin. 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, kitchen, fireplace and sofa bed. Perfect for a family of 5 with 2 teenage girls! It is very clean, a little outdated but perfect for walking in downtown Gatlinburg and reasonably priced.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Well_Traveled_Mom25
Reviewed 8 December 2013 via mobile

I stay there four years in a row western ky had a ice storm on Dec 6th and part of my fault to contact the hotel but they said I had to call them seven days before to cancelled the room but they took my money for one night I will never stay there again the only thing they only want you're money you stay there for years they don't care

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family