“We will definitely come back!”

Mountain Shadows Log Home Resort
Ranked #62 of 78 Hotels in Gatlinburg
Reviewed 17 September 2012

I feel like we found a hidden gem....I have been coming to Gatlinburg every year for almost 30 years, so we've stayed in many different places. This place is now on my top 5 list of great places to stay! We stayed in the Bears Den cabin for 2 nights and had no problems. First, they have a 3 night minimum, but after explaining my situation of a last minute trip on labor day weekend and being unable to find anywhere to stay, they let me reserve for only 2 nights. The staff at the office were very pleasant. I forgot my neclace and left it there. I called and notified the front office. He immediately sent a housekeeper to the cabin and called me back within the hour to tell me they found my neclace and would mail it to me. I received it in the mail one week later! Our cabin was so much bigger than expected, very clsan, fully furnished with all the usual amenities. I have nothing but great things to say. We will definitely be returning guests!

• Stayed: September 2012
MountainShadows, Guest Relations Manager at Mountain Shadows Log Home Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2015

We appreciate your kind thoughts and words about our resort and staff. We make every effort we can to attain guest satisfaction and are so glad to hear you had a great time staying with us. We look forward to having you return again.

There are newer reviews for Mountain Shadows Log Home Resort

Reviewed 7 September 2012

Stayed in " the Great Escape".This is by far one of the worst places I have ever stayed at!! Dirty, loud barking dogs non stop, the hot tub is just sitting on the deck so when it is on it vibrates the whole cabin. It is also very very loud. We turned our hot tub off at night but the neigbors left theirs running. We were up all night listening to it for 3 nights straight. The temp never came off of 104' which is too hot. We turned it down and it stayed at 104'. We asked how to adjust the temp and the answer was... Most people like it really hot so we don't ever mess with it. The swimming pool was green and the gate was locked with padlocks. Asked about the pool and the answer was not many people like swimming since they have the hot tubs. Pots and pans were unusable. When we asked about that they said they would see what they could do. We were supposed to have a great view. we looked at trees not mountain views, trees!!!! The cabin itself was cute. The inside was another story. Broken down furniture, the bed frame in one bedroom had these metal pointy things that ripped two shirts of mine. The comforter was snagged and had holes in it from this killer bed frame. Do yourself a favor PASS THIS PLACE UP or you will be disappointed!!!

Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank Tammyheinecke
MountainShadows, Public Relations Manager at Mountain Shadows Log Home Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2015

We are so sorry our resort and vacation cabin failed to meet your expectations. We had no notes in the guest folio regarding any of the issues mentioned, so we obviously were unable to address any of them during the visit. We make every effort to correct all issues we are notified of in a timely manner. We did fulfill a guest request for new pans during the stay, which is the only concern we were made aware of at the time.

Reviewed 15 July 2012

We stayed at the Mountain Shadows Resort in early July 2012 and were pleasantly surprised by the accommodations! We had 2 cabins (1-bedroom and 2-bedroom) for 4 adults and 3 kids. I was very concerned (to say the least) about the cabins based on previous reviews and was very impressed with both cabins (we stayed in Phase 2; they were clean and updated). The views from both decks were absolutely amazing! We didn’t have any issues during our stay.

There is a grocery store down the street that has everything you may want/need. We were able to save some money by cooking/eating at the cabin instead of going out to eat for each meal.

One downside (well for the kids, that is) was the fact that there is only one pool and it is located in Phase 1 which is not really within walking distance from Phase 2 (due to all the steep hills and having to cross a main road). It would have been nice to have an outdoor pool within Phase 2.

Besides that, we will definitely stay there again!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank IndianaBeachBumm
MountainShadows, Guest Relations Manager at Mountain Shadows Log Home Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 8 September 2015

Thank you for your positive comments about our resort and your cabin. Our location close to city services and attractions is important to our guests, as well as their cabin amenities. Your comment about a pool in Phase 2 has been noted to the homeowner’s association. Consideration for a pool in that section of the resort is underway at this time.

Reviewed 28 June 2012

We stayed at this property in the "Out on a limb" cabin during memorial day weekend and the week following. I was unsure of what to expect after reading the reviews but was relieved to find a quiet, comfortable and clean cabin. We always show up to cabins with our own sheets and pillowcases so the ones that were on the matress were not a problem. The kitchen area was spotless and so was the bathroom area. There were plenty of towels and other toiletries including trash bags and dish soap. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would love to come back. I have no complaints about the cabin that we stayed at.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank TenneseeTraveler1982
MountainShadows, Public Relations Manager at Mountain Shadows Log Home Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2015

We appreciate your generous comments about your stay “Out on a Limb”! This is especially insightful to us considering you noted reading some less than positive reviews. Thanks for taking the opportunity to find out for yourself, and for being pleasantly satisfied with the results.

Reviewed 17 April 2012

We have stayed at various Mountain Shadows cabins over the last 5 years and we have been very disappointed the last 3 times. Cabins are in need of repair and updating. They also need to be deep cleaned as you can visually see dust/cobwebs and it's pretty disgusting. We almost left the maid a nasty note in her tip envelope -what a joke. The hot water barely fills the jacuzzi tub half way. The shower did not drain. The sheets didn't fit the bed. Mtn shadows has definitely gone downhill in the last 5 years. The sad thing is this last time when we told them how much of a dump the cabin was, they didn't care. Our cabin even had a structural issue!! You can definitely find a clear/safer place to stay than at Mtn Shadows.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank c p
MountainShadows, Public Relations Manager at Mountain Shadows Log Home Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2015

We are so sorry for the disappointments with your cabin and deeply regret any lack of empathy from our staff for your concerns.

Reviewed 25 March 2012

My fiancé and I stayed at “Birds Eye View” which is a Mountain Shadows Resorts owned property. We have stayed in other cabins in the Smoky’s, and this one is a disappointment. The property is in need of a refresh. The furniture is old and worn in appearance.
This cabin advertised high-speed internet access; however, be aware this is not a wireless service. You will need to bring your own cable because the one provided is about 2-3 feet long. The wire does not even reach the couch. It also was not functioning when I arrived. A call to the office, and a very helpful girl, fixed the problem. I appreciated her help, but this should have worked when I arrived. I did notice a DVD player that was tucked behind the TV that I would never have seen if I wasn’t trying to figure the internet out. The DVD player was also not hooked up.
The mirrors attached to the dresser are warped and leaning back on the wall. The mattress is topped with a memory foam style mattress, which is encased in plastic. This made the bed uncomfortable and hot. The box fan in the closet had a broken blade. The whirlpool was missing a jet cover (the part you use to direct the water stream). The shower, my favorite part, has a gap at the top where some caulking is badly needed. My fiancé almost had a heart attack when a spider the size of my hand came out of the crack at the top of the shower.
I cannot speak about the hot tub because I did not use it the whole time, but I still paid the cleaning fee. This isn’t unique to this property, and I understand paying the fee. The door that provides access to the internal components of the hot tub was lose and propped up against the hot tub.
The upper deck was nice, but there were a few nails that need to be hammered back into the deck because they were popping out. I enjoyed the deck, but they are far from private. It was also very noisy in this resort with many dogs barking—and this was not peak season.
The water takes FOREVER to warm up. If you want to wash your hands, turn it on when you start going to the bathroom, or be prepared to use cold water. The hot water actually broke during our stay. I called the office, which had just closed less than an hour my call. There was an after hours number that I called, and I was asked if I could wait for it to be fixed. I had just spent a long day walking around Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg, and I was in desperate need of a shower. I told the man that I could not wait. He told me that he couldn’t fix it until morning. Then why bother asking me if I could wait. He said he was sorry, but I promise you he was not as sorry as me. I still cannot believe he didn’t find another solution to help me out. I would have used an empty cabin (which there was one right next to me) to take my shower.
This place was livable, but nothing that I would want to ever stay at again or recommend. There are plenty of other places similar or cheaper in price that are much better. Customer service is subpar, and the owners obviously have stopped caring about the upkeep of their properties a long time ago.

Room Tip: Do not stay at Mountain Shadows. Try Timbercreek instead.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Jealleo
MountainShadows, Public Relations Manager at Mountain Shadows Log Home Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 16 September 2015

We sincerely regret the difficulties you experienced during your visit and want to thank you for letting us know about the problems you faced. The reported issue we have on record during the stay was about the internet which maintenance handled. We have also issued work orders for the other repairs necessary. Thanks again for your input.

Reviewed 25 January 2012

We stayed in Mountain Shadow Resorts on Dec 27th – Dec 30th 2011. I researched several websites including trip advisors which all had reviews that gave me a 50/50 shot. I called hotels.com to talk to them about some of my questions to included is there ANY OTHER fees or hidden cost upon arrival? Hotels.com stated NO you only pay $140 a night through us and upon arrival a $35 pet fee per stay, Resort fee: $25 per accommodation, per stay. I asked if there was a Hot tub fee they stated NO. I also was concerned about some reviews about the HILL to the cabins at first I was thinking some people are just drama queens no this hill was bad just glad we had a F-250 4x4. Mountain Shadows pictures don’t give you the whole story we booked a STUDIO cabin I asked hotels.com about this they stated it’s a one bedroom cabin. So we arrived to the cabin about 7:30pm on Dec 27th and walked into the office to a no so nice lady at the desk whom stated you owe $35 pet fee, $25 per stay, $39 non- refundable damage fee, $50 hot tub fee. I stated I booked through Hotels.com and asked about any other fees and was told only $35 and $25. She stated well to stay here tonight you will have to pay the other fees and take it up with Hotels.com. We just drove 11 hours this is where they get you its late and you’re tired. So we paid got the key went up the steep hill to only go down a very steep downhill to the cabin which had very tricky well virtually no parking. The cabin we thought we were renting end up being a duplex cabin connected by hallway. Which all the cabins where right on top of one another but not connected like this one. So we open the door to a mess the couch cushions were on floor the fireplace was in pieces and the bedroom bed linens were thrown in the tub with a pair of women’s underwear on top of them (took pictures). So we drove down hill to the office to her calling a manager. Half an hour later we got the other side which was better so we crashed for the night. FYI no place to take the dog’s to the bathroom only by the office down the steep hill. That morning I called Hotels.com which didn’t help but I noticed the next day you couldn’t pulled up Mountain Shadows Resort booking page to book, but soon after you could and it had Resort fee: USD 25 per accommodation, per stay (effective 1 January 2011) Pet deposit: USD 35.00 per stay. Breakage deposit: $39.95 per stay. The above list may not be comprehensive. Fees and deposits may not include tax and are subject to change. Don’t think I will stay their again but loved Gatlinburg area…..

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank Tiffany C
MountainShadows, Public Relations Manager at Mountain Shadows Log Home Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 14 September 2015

We sincerely regret the problems you experienced checking in to your cabin and the discrepancies between the booking service and our internal reservations system. As a result of your information we were able to make these reservations and the associated fees clearer to guests from the onset. We also want to apologize for our staff member not handling your situation in the courteous manner with which it should have been taken care of.